• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

WWDC 2007

suspiria    0

I have a (bad) feeling that we're expecting (and over-speculating) too much from this whole "Illuminous" business.

As osirisX said above, I agree that the UI update will be mush less than we're expecting. Again, I hope I'm wrong. A completely new UI would be very nice. But I, for one, would not be surprised if Apple continues the trend of the relatively minor Aqua refinements.

Rudy    457

all i hope for is an imac update before the summer (june/july) as i will be buying a 24" around that time :)

.Neo    1,834
all i hope for is an imac update before the summer (june/july) as i will be buying a 24" around that time :)

Same here. I should have enough money by then for a shiny new 24" iMac, but I refuse to spend it on a 6 month old release.

Looks like Mac OS X Leopard might see a release before WWDC '07 (posted it in the Leopard Related News thread as well).

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0702leopardilife.html

.Neo    1,834
I have a (bad) feeling that we're expecting (and over-speculating) too much from this whole "Illuminous" business.

As osirisX said above, I agree that the UI update will be mush less than we're expecting. Again, I hope I'm wrong. A completely new UI would be very nice. But I, for one, would not be surprised if Apple continues the trend of the relatively minor Aqua refinements.

Personally I don't see the point in implementing the capability of running Core Animation system-wide if Aqua isn't going to use it.

Next to that Mac OS X Leopard's current UI looks really poor and practically none of the applications have been updated with new elements while their main window style has changed: Automator, iCal and iChat for example all carry Unified Aqua now, but most of their buttons are still Brushed-based. Mac OS X Tiger had a near-finished UI (including app skins) from the very first beta, only Mail got it's new toolbar buttons at a later stage but the glossy elements where there since the beginning. You don't see any of this in Leopard.

Anyway, it's just a theory and I could be totally wrong.

suspiria    0
Next to that Mac OS X Leopard's current UI looks really poor and practically none of the applications have been updated with new elements while their main window style has changed: Automator, iCal and iChat for example all carry Unified Aqua now, but most of their buttons are still Brushed-based.

It's very unlikely that Apple would leave the UI of Mac OS X "broken" in that way. So either they'll make new buttons to match the Unified window change. Or, the Unified appearance of said apps is simply a placeholder for a new UI completely.

Rudy    457

i don't understand why everyone want the HD ipods to be replaced by flash based ones... the 8GB nanos are the same price as the 30GB.....i would go for the 30GB without even having to think about it (yes i know the disadvantages like size, slight seek time etc)

osirisX    2

Because everyone likes to jump on the rumour bandwagon. Flash prices would have to come WAY down or Apple would have to make a loss or Apple would have to increase the price of iPods for this to work.

.Neo    1,834
It's very unlikely that Apple would leave the UI of Mac OS X "broken" in that way. So either they'll make new buttons to match the Unified window change. Or, the Unified appearance of said apps is simply a placeholder for a new UI completely.

Of course that won't happen. My point is that if they're really going with "Aqua v10.3 Panther rev C" it would take them about 20 minutes to update the application skins to match. That's basically what they did from the start during the Mac OS X Tiger betas. But why bother if you're going to implement something entirely new?

i don't understand why everyone want the HD ipods to be replaced by flash based ones... the 8GB nanos are the same price as the 30GB.

I doubt Apple will be equiping the original iPod with flash drives if the low-entery model is going to cost more than the iPhone does. That would be some serious cutting in their own hands.

divinatum    2

wrong topic. delete me :)

.Neo    1,834
Report: Mac Pro To See Redesign

LoopRumors believes that Apple is staging a redesign of its Mac Pro systems. The new systems are said to be smaller, with a new cooling system that will direct hot air out the top of the system rather than the back.

When Apple introduced the Mac Pro in August last year, it left the design of its pro system largely untouched outside of slight internal shifts and the addition of a second optical drive. The Mac Pro was first rumored to be updated last year, with reports that Apple's research and development efforts having been completed some time ago, however the Mac Pro remains unchanged since its introduction.

http://www.macrumors.com/2007/02/14/report...-be-redesigned/

Hopefully the iMac won't stay behind. :)

PyX    140

Well according to the buyersguide from MacRumors.com , the iMac is supposed to be updated right now because the last release is more days away than the average release interval of the iMacs. So very soon, we are supposed to see an updated iMac, new design or not. Any Tuesday from now on, but I wouldn't be surprised if they waited in the end of March so that they can show a new design to a public, etc. etc.

And then I will be jealous even with my 24" (not).

studio57lie    0
New Mac Pro's, and Mac mini's

More about the iPhone

Hopefully more about Leopard and it's secret features

Not sure about iLife/iWork 07 (might happen earlier in the year)

I'd guess a combination of several things, seeing as it is 5 selected days on the calendar, not just one. If it was 1 I'd guess a launch of some sort but maybe several launches to make a huge deal about it. Maybe these things will be connected in some special feature/compatibility etc.

Elliott    235
I'd guess a combination of several things, seeing as it is 5 selected days on the calendar, not just one. If it was 1 I'd guess a launch of some sort but maybe several launches to make a huge deal about it. Maybe these things will be connected in some special feature/compatibility etc.

WWDC is always a week long. :p Most of the announcements, however, are on Tuesday (Steve Job's keynote).

osirisX    2

I don't see how you could improve the design of the iMac any further. It's pretty much perfect. The only thing that I could see would be to add latches to the back of the iMac so you can remove the panel and access the internal parts.

.Neo    1,834
I don't see how you could improve the design of the iMac any further. It's pretty much perfect. The only thing that I could see would be to add latches to the back of the iMac so you can remove the panel and access the internal parts.

They said the same with the G4 iMac, but Apple always seems to find a way. :p

PyX    140

They could lower the "chin" too to make it more ergonomic. (especially on the 24 inch, it makes it anti-ergonomic...!)

Or they could try to get rid of the chin... and make the computer a little thicker. I'd like that.

Rudy    457
They said the same with the G4 iMac, but Apple always seems to find a way. :p

i beg to differ, i found that MANY people liked the G4 imac better (the lamp looking one)

personally i think i would already own an imac if they were still using that design..... but i'll suck it up and buy a 24" imac this summer even though i dont really like the current design......but i do hope they'll change it for the WWDC :p

Quillz    1,011

As I've said before, the current design has lasted over the course of three revisions since 2004, so Apple is obviously happy with the design. I think therefore, they should improve said design, with more USB 2.0 ports on the back, as well as making the entire computer thinner, if possible.

.Neo    1,834
i beg to differ, i found that MANY people liked the G4 imac better (the lamp looking one)

personally i think i would already own an imac if they were still using that design..... but i'll suck it up and buy a 24" imac this summer even though i dont really like the current design......but i do hope they'll change it for the WWDC :p

Apple always shot the iMac G4 promotional pictures in such a way that the screen looked much bigger compared to the "sphere" beneath it, even the 15" model. I was nearly in shock when I saw the iMac for the first time standing in the stores. IMO the sphere was just way too big for it to look good.

I love the simplicity of the current design and Apple's using a much better plastic type for the casing as well (smooth surface instead of a profile). But I'm looking forward to some design updates nonetheless. :p

osirisX    2
As I've said before, the current design has lasted over the course of three revisions since 2004, so Apple is obviously happy with the design. I think therefore, they should improve said design, with more USB 2.0 ports on the back, as well as making the entire computer thinner, if possible.

More USB 2.0 ports would be great. I don't think Apple would make the iMac any thinner though. They wouldn't be able to fit the remote on the side otherwise :p

.Neo    1,834

If making the design thinner means Apple's getting rid of a standard HD, replacing it by a laptop one (like they did with the mini), I think I'd rather have a slightly thicker iMac. :p

Rudy    457
Apple always shot the iMac G4 promotional pictures in such a way that the screen looked much bigger compared to the "sphere" beneath it, even the 15" model. I was nearly in shock when I saw the iMac for the first time standing in the stores. IMO the sphere was just way too big for it to look good.

I love the simplicity of the current design and Apple's using a much better plastic type for the casing as well (smooth surface instead of a profile). But I'm looking forward to some design updates nonetheless. :p

i agree that with the smaller screen sizes i did look a bit weird (i still liked it), but imagine with a 19" or even a 24" screen :drool: the sphere would look really small because the screen is going to be so big

RadishTM    312
i agree that with the smaller screen sizes i did look a bit weird (i still liked it), but imagine with a 19" or even a 24" screen :drool: the sphere would look really small because the screen is going to be so big

Oh yes :yes:, the G4 iMac was the sex.

Radish?

.Neo    1,834

Well they released a 20" model at one point (costing "only" ?2500:|:| ), so I don't really have to imagine it;);)

The iMac G4 just wasn't for me:p:p