• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

WWDC 2007

KeR    82
But increasing the speed of the same processor is relatively easy... You can't just "upgrade" a phone from 2G to 3G over the course of a week. You'd have to build an entirely new phone. Not only does 3G run on a completely different band from 2G, but it also has different receivers, different construction, etc.

its been months since January when they announced the iPhone not weeks. Enough time to do the upgrades to 3G.

NeoXY    7
Well, there have been so many rumors around noting that tomorrow morning we will be seeing Macbook Pro updates since the "Back to School" program will start in a few days. If they wait 'til 11th, then they will have to change the specs in the advertisements.

You never know.

-Eagle101

I hate to say I told you so but..

I TOLD YOU SO!

:laugh:

Eagle101    0
I hate to say I told you so but..

I TOLD YOU SO!

:laugh:

You didn't tell me. Macrumors.com & Appleinsiders.com told me.

:D

-Eagle101

Xero    15

Jobs always says how 2.5G is great and 3G isn't necessary. I don't think the iPhone will be 3G at least not until the europe version.

Quillz    1,011
its been months since January when they announced the iPhone not weeks. Enough time to do the upgrades to 3G.

Even if they could, why would they? As far as we know, the phone is being released only in the US. 2G & EDGE are still the most common and most popular cell infrastructures. What little 3G we have here is still largely controlled by AT&T at a premium price. I think a 3G version is in store for the future, but not until 3G overall has more presence in the US, even if most of the world has migrated to it already.

.kvn    0

My own predictions as to what might be announced next week.

A redesigned iMac including a new 30" monster

The 17" iMac redesigned with touchscreen support. This will only serve to infuriate our bank managers as we will want to buy it and the 30".

Mac mini meeting either an untimely death or a complete overhaul with bigger hd, faster processor and more connections on the back than you could shake a stick at.

More iPhone goodness including announcements for its release around the world as a 3G capable phone and 16 GB as standard.

Leopard of course will finally be shown off as a complete, secrets free version...what could they be!

There will not be a black iMac anywhere.

PyX    140

I announce an overhaul of the Mac Mini and the death of a 17" iMac. Not at WWDC though (maybe except for the death of the iMac 17"). Some rumors say that no iMac will be announced at WWDC, but I highly doubt it. What else can they show? There's Leopard and the iPhone, no computer-related hardware? I doubt it.

.Neo    1,834

AppleInsider claims that there will be no new iMac in the upcoming months.

I will be very upset with Apple if that's true. :(

hotdog666al    31
AppleInsider claims that there will be no new iMac in the upcoming months.

I will be very upset with Apple if that's true. :(

You and me both dude, my old man (due to financial reasons) has to order his shiney new iMac & MacBook before the end of the month. >_<

(Upping from a G4 so it should be nice!)

jasondefaoite    357

Since there is no news on an update to the iPhone specs in the submission to FCC (since adding 3G would require new tests/certification) ... ain't going to happen.

.Neo    1,834
You and me both dude, my old man (due to financial reasons) has to order his shiney new iMac & MacBook before the end of the month. >_<

(Upping from a G4 so it should be nice!)

I'm just getting fed up with my eMac. :p

Vice    1,593

Buy an iMac then? - If they release a new one and then you don't get it in the first day and leave it a few weeks your just think ahead to the next upgrade and then never buy one.

.Neo    1,834
Buy an iMac then? - If they release a new one and then you don't get it in the first day and leave it a few weeks your just think ahead to the next upgrade and then never buy one.

Unless you developed psychic abilities, please don't tell me what I think. ;) :p

If this iMac rev. was released a month ago, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. But that's clearly not the case. I really don't feel like spending two-thousand hard earned euros on a computermodel that hasn't seen any updates whatsoever in the better part of a year. It's just way too long for any rev to go without changes, be it a Mac or PC. Plus I won't have enough money until my paycheck clears at the end of this month. ;)

So unless my eMac falls apart, I'll sit this one out.

----------------------------------------------------------

Sun Microsystems chief executive Jonathan Schwartz just confirmed that ZFS will be Mac OS X Leopard's default filesystem. I bet Apple will be very happy with him for sharing that information to the public before WWDC.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/06...or_leopard.html

Jordan Green    2

I really hope to see iMac and leopard mostly at WDDC thats all i wanna see as iPhone way out of my league and only in US so no nicies for me in UK.

I wanna get a 20" iMac with 2.4GHz core 2 duo 2GB RAM but i think a stock 20" iMac will maybe be 2.2GHz and 2GB RAM still 250GB HDD like the new MBP but with larger harddrive i think.

Quillz    1,011
Unless you developed psychic abilities, please don't tell me what I think. ;) :p

If this iMac rev. was released a month ago, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. But that's clearly not the case. I really don't feel like spending two-thousand hard earned euros on a computermodel that hasn't seen any updates whatsoever in the better part of a year. It's just way too long for any rev to go without changes, be it a Mac or PC. Plus I won't have enough money until my paycheck clears at the end of this month. ;)

----------------------------------------------------------

Sun Microsystems chief executive Jonathan Schwartz just confirmed that ZFS will be Mac OS X Leopard's default filesystem. I bet Apple will be very happy with him for sharing that information to the public before WWDC.

What makes ZFS so much better than HFS+? Is the former fully compatible with the latter?

Vice    1,593

It just seems to me that everyone around here is holding there breath over new models. It seems every months I see posts like "I hope they update the iMac!" from you or other people (ARK, Saxondale etc) even if they just updated them recently (24" model, C2D Models anyone?). You should just buy when you want/need otherwise your be waiting forever. Your eMac isn't exactly last years model, its been out of the Market for a long time so I guess either you have been happy with it all these years or you have constantly been waiting for the newer revision of the iMac afraid to buy for fear of being locked into an outdated computer.

.Neo    1,834

Not until recently this machine became really slow for the school work I have to perform on it and before the beginning of the new school year seems a good time to update. Plus there's this small detail that I don't have the money to buy a new Mac every time I please to.

So like I said before it won't be before the end of June that I have the money to buy the Mac I want, but I won't invest it in a ten-month old model. If you feel otherwise, be my guest.

Garry    124

I'm running an Intel iMac (Core Duo) bought just after their release in January '06 and so far I've had no reason to complain at all about it's compatibility, speed or design. Granted, waiting a few weeks if an update is inevitable is a good idea, but any Mac you buy today should suit you just fine for the next few years.

PyX    140

Heh. They WILL update the iMacs very soon no matter what. If you have a Mac right now, you're still happy. For a switcher like I was back in September, I have still managed to wait because I had another Mac in the other room, but damn that I would have bought it right away...

If you don't need it now and you don't have the money, wait until they release something new ;)

My guess is that they will put 2GB of memory in their best iMacs (the 24" that is) like they did with the MPBs. So at least you will save on the memory.

MrA    6

Somehow, I don't think Jobs gives a ****. ZFS is Leopard's worst kept secret. We know that there'll be some form of it and having it the default makes sense considering how much more advanced it is than any other FS out there.

John S.    359
Brushed aluminum iMac due next week

June 7, 2007 - Apple is poised to deliver its third Mac revision in less than a month next week when the company takes the wraps off its new iMac line. Sources with reliable track records report the new iMac, wrapped in a brushed aluminum enclosure, is currently tracking for release at or around Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference on June 11.

Since the inception of Intel-based systems in January 2006, the iMac platform has shared many of its internals with the MacBook Pro, meaning the new iMac will surely benefit from the same improvements the MacBook Pro received earlier this week. This includes the implementation of Intel's new Santa Rosa architecture, which features a 20 percent faster front-side bus than the outgoing models and processor speeds up to 2.4GHz.

As previously reported, the 17-inch model will not be included in the new iMac line-up, which will feature models with 20-inch and 24-inch displays only. Prices will drop accordingly on the models with larger displays, which current start at $1,499 for the 20-inch, but they are not expected to match the outgoing 17-inch Mac's $999 entry-level price point.

The iMac's new enclosure will better match that of Apple's high-end systems as the company repositions the iMac as a more premium offering.

.Neo    1,834

Whoa, nice. I really wonder what it will look like.

Quillz    1,011

Am I the only one disappointed with the loss of a 17' iMac? I have the currently 17' Intel C2D iMac, and I prefer it to the 20' or 24' because neither of those two fit on my desk. Not to mention that the 17' still has a very high resolution of 1440x900. I understand that having a bigger screen is nice, but think of all those home and college desks that are fairly small, you might not be able to fit much more than a 17' on it.

.Neo    1,834

Very high resolution? Hardly. Especially not compared to the 17" PowerBook and MacBook Pro.

It's time to move on I think. Same story when Apple decided to axe the 15" iMac G4. Although the 17" iMac is a very nice and compact computer.

Can't say I care either way. :p

Edited by .Neo