Macworld 2008

really?.. disaster come on ;)

- I don't use my drive for anything other than booting the odd linux livecd

- re-install anything via external or networked disc drive

- burn via the same method, but then again i use flash and harddrive based players for my music needs

- backup? ... external harddrives and NAS devices

- dvd playback - rip it on another system first, or download it

it wouldn't bother me at all to not have an optical drive, as i pretty much have eliminated the need for disc's in my household .. networking / streaming / flash & hdd's ... discs are obsolete.

This is Apple. All those workarounds would go against their "it just works" philosophy. And that's aimed at the Average Joe consumer.

But I totally agree with your alternative options. Flash/hard drives will eventually obsolete optical media.

I'm thinking something with the mac mini... it's been forever since its been updated.

If you consider August to be forever, yea.

As for MacWorld, my bets...

-Mac Pro to 45nm, new GPU options as well

-Something to do with those 13" LCDs the have been buying

-First iPhone apps and big noise about the SDK

-New Cinema Displays, my local Apple store has nothing but 30" left and no re-order date.

-New apps in general, iWork and Aperture were the last new releases, and that was a couple years ago.

-Maybe a Santa Rosa refresh for the mini, or a form factor update. This would be a pleasant surprise, but I am somehow doubting it until some spring event.

-Lot of talk about 3rd part support for Leopard, expect MS to be hawking Office 2008 and I would love to see some word that week on Quicken getting a UB update.

-Sales figures and Vista mockery by the truckload.

If you consider August to be forever, yea.

As for MacWorld, my bets...

-Mac Pro to 45nm, new GPU options as well

-Something to do with those 13" LCDs the have been buying

-First iPhone apps and big noise about the SDK

-New Cinema Displays, my local Apple store has nothing but 30" left and no re-order date.

-New apps in general, iWork and Aperture were the last new releases, and that was a couple years ago.

-Maybe a Santa Rosa refresh for the mini, or a form factor update. This would be a pleasant surprise, but I am somehow doubting it until some spring event.

-Lot of talk about 3rd part support for Leopard, expect MS to be hawking Office 2008 and I would love to see some word that week on Quicken getting a UB update.

-Sales figures and Vista mockery by the truckload.

No iTMS updates with rentals or more movies?

No iTMS updates with rentals or more movies?

Yea, that seems likely as well, although a lot of iTunes/iPod stuff has been at seperate events so if it doens't happen in January I assume it will still happen next year. Maybe we'll all be shocked and they will do something real with AppleTV.

hmm, World of Apple is going to stream it live

That video definitely won't be able to take the load, I don't care how stable the servers and connections are. Google could host a video stream of Macworld, and it would go down. Cool nonetheless, though.

My hopes: multi-touch laptop, mac mini update, and maybe new cinema displays. And iTunes 8.

A *cheaper* Mac Pro or an upgradeable mini-tower based system to go in between the iMac and the MacPro (in between in terms of price and for advanced users). Single Quad-Core, 1 GB RAM, Nvidia 8600 or 8800 as baseline.

I seriously won't by a new Apple unless they do this (and there are others pleading for Apple to do the same) getting an iMac and then having to get an HDD enclosure and DVD enclosure defeats the purpose of having an all-in-one system. And w/o an upgradeable video card and a built-in monitor that once it burns out can't be replace or used in another system is a total waste. With the opportunity to dual-boot to Windows, I would really like to see a more flexible and cheaper system than the Mac Pro.

hmm do you really think that macbook and macbook pro will be redesigned? i mean... theyve just been redesigned, more or less with the introduction of intel-cpus... but then again it was only a minor upgrade...

would be nice indeed. =)

hmm do you really think that macbook and macbook pro will be redesigned? i mean... theyve just been redesigned, more or less with the introduction of intel-cpus... but then again it was only a minor upgrade...
Apple really should, at the very least, give the MacBook Pro a magnetic latch like the MacBook.

I can't see this being anything other than a notebook that either sits between the Macbook and Macbook Pro OR a Macbook below the current one (thin form) or a complete redesign of the MB and MBP to bring it in line with the whole iPhone/iMac style.

Apple devrait donc lifter ? l'occasion de la MWSF sa gamme d'?crans, tout du moins si les fournisseurs ont r?ussi ? leur livrer assez de dalles d'ici l?.

- Leur design ?voluerait en douceur, l'aluminium restant de la partie. On s'approcherait cependant du design des iMac ALU, avec un cadre noir autour de la dalle.

- On aurait un iSight int?gr?e. Nous n'avons pas r?ussi ? apprendre si elle serait orientable.

- Le nouveau 30" serait plus fin que le mod?le actuel.

- Nous n'avons pas encore eu confirmation de la compatibilit? HDCP, mais elle est aujourd'hui incontournable.

- Apple pourrait proposer un nouveau tr?s grand moniteur 42" ? la norme WQUXGA, en 3840 x 2400. Si des moniteurs 22" ? cette r?solution existent pour certains milieux professionnels, un ?cran ? une telle taille serait une premi?re. Il pourrait-?tre annonc? le 15 janvier, ou au NAB si le projet n'est pas finalis? d'ici l?.

Pour leur tarif, on parle d'un peu moins de 7000$.

I cut the article in many places to keep the most important stuff...

Basically :

* New cinema displays @ Macworld

* Still in aluminum, but with a black frame around it

* A little less than 7000 bucks (that'd be for a new 42" model)

* Integrated iSight

* Possibly crazy resolutions (like 3840x2400..., does it mean 10.5.2 going to introduce resolution independance?)

* Thinner

* Etc. etc.