Macworld 2008

snipped :)

Well, Im quie contect with the current selection, but a wider one wouldnt hurt. A balanced price/performance laptop its not a new ground for Apple

"I'm starting to think that Apple just really doesn't understand its customers."

LOL, Apple is the only one in the tech industry that truly understands its customer base.

"I'm starting to think that Apple just really doesn't understand its customers."

LOL, Apple is the only one in the tech industry that truly understands its customer base.

Dont get that far, Apple is a good company but its far from "the only one". Its just one of the few with a well stablished niche. I love my PowerMac like no computer I have possesed but I cant say Apple its perfect.

What I'd love to see is a wifi mini-tablet device with the look and UI of an iPhone... it would be a portable media player, remote control, web browsing, kick-ass handheld PC (running Leopard, of course).

Aren't you basically describing the iPhone itself?

I don't think there will be any mini-sub-notebook-tablet-Mac. The iPhone is the tablet we're looking for!

(.. iPhone = iPhone + iPod Touch.)

Aren't you basically describing the iPhone itself?

I don't think there will be any mini-sub-notebook-tablet-Mac. The iPhone is the tablet we're looking for!

(.. iPhone = iPhone + iPod Touch.)

But it cant be really used as a computer replacement.

(As in quote I replied to), if it has the look and UI of the iPhone, then it would have the same disadvantages — not a computer replacement, mono-tasking...

There's the problem with this notebook -- with the 12"-ish screen, it's screen would be too big for an iPhone UI; and too small for a Leopard UI that can be touched.

Dont get that far, Apple is a good company but its far from "the only one". Its just one of the few with a well stablished niche. I love my PowerMac like no computer I have possesed but I cant say Apple its perfect.

Hey don't mis-quote me there. To all my replies, so far, I did mention I was "using the quotes here for my own convenience". Something tells me this whole post is highly ironic.

Seriously, though. Leopard is a great OS. OS X has made great inroads. OS X is fully POSIX compliant and there's lot of developers, professionals (in all kinds of different areas ... more than most people think, I've met/seen or spoken to the diverse users first hand) and they're using iMacs. Few have the Mac Pros because they don't have the need for the extra CPUs but they would for local storage. This is a great opportunity. Apple has shown that the hardware has basically locked out most people from installing OS X on PCs. So the idea is that a new Tower won't threaten their market share by competing against Windows and no one ever expects them to compete head 2 head against PC prices ... sales surges are sign of that.

I'd suggest if they still want to keep the margins, release a 20" cinema display that's lower than $599. Then you still sell the "screen", and the CPU in the sale as you do with the iMac. Heck I'd pay a bit extra if the system matched the monitor and came with Apple care.

Hey don't mis-quote me there. To all my replies, so far, I did mention I was "using the quotes here for my own convenience". Something tells me this whole post is highly ironic.

huh? I wasnt quoting you :|

He basically wants a C2D in a Mac Pro at the price of a Mac Mini.

So do I. The expandability and flexibility of a tower is nothing to be scoffed at.

Yep.

I'm over the "all-in-one" idea, I got my eMac a few years back (second last model) and speed wise it's fine, but the graphics card sucks, really limits what I can do, but I can't upgrade it.

Apple seems to understand that their users have deep pockets and lots of money! Did you look at the price of the Mac Pro? I know those are Pro workstation, but everything is above normal pricing.

Seriously, you would want a Mac Pro just because of OS X. Otherwise, it would be much cheaper to get a Pro workstation from HP or DELL.

True, I would love an iPhone but purely for calling, messaging and everything a "smartphone" does (iCal, music, ...). The iPhone wouldn't replace my Macbook and wouldn't lessen my eager to get an Apple mini tablet mac. We'll see what the future brings, first I need to get my new Pro.

Apple seems to understand that their users have deep pockets and lots of money! Did you look at the price of the Mac Pro? I know those are Pro workstation, but everything is above normal pricing.

Seriously, you would want a Mac Pro just because of OS X. Otherwise, it would be much cheaper to get a Pro workstation from HP or DELL.

Without the Apple PRO Software, you forgot to add.

Without the Apple PRO Software, you forgot to add.

He also forgot to mention that a Dell Precision T5400 with dual 2.8Ghz Harpertown Processors, 2GB 667Mhz ram and a Quadro FX 5600 1.5GB, one 320GB sata drive, Windows XP Pro, and Dells crappy 3 year limited call India for tech support warranty is only $6,803 vs the same parts in the Mac Pro except for 800Mhz memory, faster FSB ohh and a non india call center support and better 3 year warranty, plus its only $5,898 - Oh Snap! Wait! It also boots both Windows and Mac - which means you can use all the "Pro" software out there :p

Posting from crackberry sorry for form.

I'm a writer and researcher. I happen to want a faster Mac and while I could affor a mac pro at least the one gpu model it gets real expensive adding monitor and 3 year applecare. I happen tol love osx and the stats prograns I use work really well in osx. But no storage space in the imac is the killer. I work with large data. There's no advanptage in what I do to go more than one core. A 6 grand dell or 2.5. G mac pro is unneeded. A custom pc would do as well for what I need and many others than mpro. Core 2 imac as well ..... Again storage. Nas sans and external hdd are pita.

Posting from crackberry sorry for form.

I'm a writer and researcher. I happen to want a faster Mac and while I could affor a mac pro at least the one gpu model it gets real expensive adding monitor and 3 year applecare. I happen tol love osx and the stats prograns I use work really well in osx. But no storage space in the imac is the killer. I work with large data. There's no advanptage in what I do to go more than one core. A 6 grand dell or 2.5. G mac pro is unneeded. A custom pc would do as well for what I need and many others than mpro. Core 2 imac as well ..... Again storage. Nas sans and external hdd are pita.

The iMac does have FireWire 800 ?? If you get a external FW800 HDD, that woud be perfect for your need and it's as fast as internal HDD. Look at the Western Digital MyBook PRO.

He also forgot to mention that a Dell Precision T5400 with dual 2.8Ghz Harpertown Processors, 2GB 667Mhz ram and a Quadro FX 5600 1.5GB, one 320GB sata drive, Windows XP Pro, and Dells crappy 3 year limited call India for tech support warranty is only $6,803 vs the same parts in the Mac Pro except for 800Mhz memory, faster FSB ohh and a non india call center support and better 3 year warranty, plus its only $5,898 - Oh Snap! Wait! It also boots both Windows and Mac - which means you can use all the "Pro" software out there :p

Well, I build myself a Precision T5400 with the spec you're saying. The only thing I could not find is the Quadro FX 5600, so I used Dual 512Mb FX 1700. My final $CAN price is $5,227 with 4GB of RAM, Dual 16X DVD and DVD-RW drive and Windows Vista Ultimate.

On Apple.ca, my $CAN price for the same Mac Pro (with 2GB RAM, one SuperDrive and the FX 5600) is $5,749

If you remove that FX 5600 and just use one 512Mb 8800GT, the price drop to $3,099

I don't know how bad you would need the FX 5600, but in the end, the DELL does cost less and offers more memory.

Try it yourself, I just did it.... Built my own DELL and Mac Pro.

:s

I had to use the 5600 because it was the only gpu on both the Mac Pro and Dell.

The first thing that come to mind is that DELL.CA is not the same as DELL.COM, here I can't add the FX 5600. We do seem to have lower price than $US, finaly...

The question is : do you need a FX 5600? The beast add almost $2500 to the price of the workstation! Unless you're doing heavy 3D, for everything else, a 8800GT could do the job just fine.

The first thing that come to mind is that DELL.CA is not the same as DELL.COM, here I can't add the FX 5600. We do seem to have lower price than $US, finaly...

The question is : do you need a FX 5600? The beast add almost $2500 to the price of the workstation! Unless you're doing heavy 3D, for everything else, a 8800GT could do the job just fine.

I just went to Dell.ca and added the fx5600 fine to it.

The point isn't the need of the 5600, but just to use the same gpu on both configurations.

And just for kicks, I setup the same config on the apple.ca and dell.ca, and the Dell came out $500 more.

Damn man...I hope a revised Macbook comes out, hopefully revised to have a touch screen [just like the iPhone!].

Macbook will then finally enter the tablet PC arena!

Anyone seen this?

"MacBook Air" Whispers...

I've heard various whispers about the new thin MacBook. Here are a few additional tidbits and confirmations about what might be coming from Apple on Tuesday.

- A slim notebook, but not a "sub notebook"

- 13.3" screen

- Not a "Pro" machine

- External Optical Drive

- It will be called the MacBook Air

A reminder, though, that Apple has been known to seed people with false specs/designs, so these whispers may not be accurate... but we believe they are.

The "air" name matches up to Apple's banners at Macworld...

8e94bc4.jpg

So could this be the new sub-notebook's name? The MacBook Air?