• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Macworld 2008

Hurmoth    518
does anyone here know how stocks r doing in their local apple stores? specifically the macbook pros? maybe this could give us an idea on if apple is expecting on releasing new ones...

I don't have an Apple store near me so I can't check that out, but the online store still shows shipping within 24 hours. I say it is still a little early though for them to be changing their website, probably next week the shipping dates will go up.

The only thing I'm looking forward to is the 3G iPhone and the new sub-notebook. I don't think they'll release the 3G iPhone, but I think they'll announce a time-frame for its release (say 3G 2008).

macster    0

I just want a cheaper single processor Mac Pro :yes:

PyX    140

Single processors aren't discontinued forever now? :p

giga    45

I'd be forever happy if they make an iMac without the display. (basically a non sucky mac mini)

Only then could I finally ditch my desktop.

TruckWEB    480

When does it start? Will we have "live" transcript?

I would hope for a new Mac Mini.... To replace my old G4! :)

giga    45
When does it start? Will we have "live" transcript?

I would hope for a new Mac Mini.... To replace my old G4! :)

http://www.macworldexpo.com/node/13480

January 15, 2008 9:00am - 10:30am (PDT)

So basically 12PM Eastern.

Creamy    1

...as usual, the Apple Store is down...:)

post-21406-1199805928.jpg

sundayx    127

Just Mac Pros.

PyX    140

Haha, they didn't want too many headlines for Macworld on their front page so they released the Mac Pros now...

Machard (macbidouille) was right though, the memory is still totally unaffordable, the hard drives are about 25% too expensive, the 8800GT upgrade is like 20% too expensive, the Quadro FX is totally unaffordable, the processors are unaffordable, etc. etc. I understand that this is for business, but they could really have lowered the prices a lot, especially since the Mac Pro hasn't changed a lot since its released date on Apple's side, so no additional developement cost.

Oh btw, at Macworld, the Mighty Mouse should also get a facelift... it's white plastic and doesn't fit with the other "mac" components. I don't see how it could be made in Alu, but you know, they could add a finish that makes it look like it's alu.

osirisX    2
Oh btw, at Macworld, the Mighty Mouse should also get a facelift... it's white plastic and doesn't fit with the other "mac" components.

Yes it does. *Points to white keys and white cords*

ynnoj    23

What are the odds of the rumoured updated 15" MBP models shipping with the higher resolution option? Also, do you think they'd add HDMI out?

.Kompressor    8

HDMI would be tight.

but I'd prefer a whole redesign of the macbook pro's the current look although great, is getting old...imo.

a new slimmer 15.4 and 17" and with LED, hdmi, 2 button touchpad, dvi out, iSight, bluray, 512mb vid card, 200 gb drive at least, would be tight. Oh and USB 3.0 port.

ynnoj    23
HDMI would be tight.

but I'd prefer a whole redesign of the macbook pro's the current look although great, is getting old...imo.

a new slimmer 15.4 and 17" and with LED, hdmi, 2 button touchpad, dvi out, iSight, bluray, 512mb vid card, 200 gb drive at least, would be tight. Oh and USB 3.0 port.

That thing would cost an arm and a leg :rofl:

The_Decryptor    1,105
I'd be forever happy if they make an iMac without the display. (basically a non sucky mac mini)

Only then could I finally ditch my desktop.

My ideal mac is something around the cost of a Mac Mini, the power of an iMac, and the expandability of the Mac Pro (it would be tower config)

It's a shame Apple will never make one.

sundayx    127
My ideal mac is something around the cost of a Mac Mini, the power of an iMac, and the expandability of the Mac Pro (it would be tower config)

:huh:

giga    45
:huh:

He basically wants a C2D in a Mac Pro at the price of a Mac Mini.

So do I. The expandability and flexibility of a tower is nothing to be scoffed at.

DrunkenMaster    0

So do I. The expandability and flexibility of a tower is nothing to be scoffed at.

Yup. If nothing it stops from having to connect to NAS or external HDDs if you store files on it, backups or use Time machine. That's mainly why I want one. Though being able to upgrade video is nice too. I reckon Apple is marking up the Mac Pro case to the $400 or $500 range when you add in the PSU. With a baseline model at $2200 for a Quad Xeon, 2 GB ram, I can easily build a 2 GB "workstation" Quad Xeon, 4 GB RAM, Tyan mobo, nV or ATI whatever card, quality PSU and case for the same price with a bloody monitor, keyboard, mouse and OS. With those kind of parts, Apple is matched hardware wise, and no liquid cooling solution that, I've read, has had leaking problems in the Mac Pros. After Apple care is over, its you to cover the costs. I'm not paying premium price for that kind of attitude from any vendor.

I didn't mind paying a small premium for the iMac G5 I have but I regret getting it in a sense because of no expansion. It was nice because as a student, I admit, OS X has saved me plenty of headaches ... no viruses etc. But with the Intel chips the way they are now and at the prices hardware is going for the price/performance/hardware gap on Apple's line is huge. At least w/ G4 cubes and towers never we much of a price gap as I recall.

I'll only say, and I'm passionate about getting a new Mac, but if Apple produces no tower, I will sell my iMac G5 and go with a nice Windows desktop. I only regret that MS doesn't lower cost of Windows 2003.... its their Best OS.

Xero    15

Only downside is the market for a product like that is very small (this goes for a tablet mac too) it would be dumb for Apple to spend money on creating a product thats not going to appeal to the masses. Anyone looking for a Mac will either want a really cheap computer (Mac Mini) or has enough to buy a Mac Pro, everyone in between goes for the iMac or like most, the Macbook. And the majority of people would want the 20" display included with the iMac and the price of the low end one isn't that high.

Now it would be nice if the Mac Mini got updated specs that were more powerful but if you ask me I think Apple will be trying to make it cheaper and more compact instead of costing slightly more and a bigger form factor. Its not likely we will ever see a midsize tower Mac. On the same note, I doubt we will ever see a "tablet" Mac. Perhaps a laptop that can become a tablet, or an iMac that can be undocked from its base, but a standalone device doesn't seem logical at this time.

On another note, I really wish Apple would update the Cinemas Displays already, its been god knows how long without a revamp and they desperately need it. I for one hope they finally include support for DisplayPort.

BigBlueBall    0

Honestly, I'm more excited about MacWorld than (yawn) CES. And for the record, Apple will announce:

• Video rentals via iTunes
  • Netflix delivery to your Apple TV
  • iPhone with 3G and more memory (later this year)

What I'd love to see is a wifi mini-tablet device with the look and UI of an iPhone, but about the size of Sony's eReader or Amazon's Kindle. It would be a portable media player, remote control, web browsing, kick-ass handheld PC (running Leopard, of course).

Fingers crossed...

Xero    15

^ Netflix won't ever happen, think of the point you listed just before it.

sanctified    1,220

I want a wider variety in their laptops line. If they release something really nice I will sell my PowerMac since I NEED the mobility for my future plans.

Badie05    0

An update for Leopard 10.5.2

8800GT Support

Imac Nanos :D

DrunkenMaster    0

Hmmm... quoting karma for me!

I want a wider variety in their laptops line. If they release something really nice I will sell my PowerMac since I NEED the mobility for my future plans.

sanctified, your answer was posted only 25 minutes before. I'll let the cat out: Xero is psychic. Read on:

Only downside is the market for a product like that is very small (this goes for a tablet mac too) it would be dumb for Apple to spend money on creating a product thats not going to appeal to the masses.

Oh, but Xero's talking about the 'never will happen Tower'. Small market share is the reason. Ok.

..... funny Some analysts said this about the iPod, the Apple Store, the iMac .... back when Apple stock was trading around $22 to $25 a share in 2002. Sucks to be right. Maybe some people don't want a Mac Tower because they're afraid it might become as popular as the iPod or the iMac. Of course, *that* would be bad for Apple, yes? I don't think the target market for the Tower would be any smaller than the Mac Mini. And since Apple doesn't mind selling a cheap computer with cheap parts, it certainly shouldn't mind selling a more expensive and featureful computer between the iMac and the Mac Pro, yes? I'm starting to think that Apple just really doesn't understand its customers. I hope MacWorld 2008 proves me (and the many others) wanting a Tower, right. If wrong, I'd bet many of us will drop Apple like a rock (and others wanting to buy a new desktop sans Vista w/ Leopard instead). Sorry!

(I'm just using the quotes here for my own convenience, no harm intended :) ).

giga    45
Hmmm... quoting karma for me!

sanctified, your answer was posted only 25 minutes before. I'll let the cat out: Xero is psychic. Read on:

Oh, but Xero's talking about the 'never will happen Tower'. Small market share is the reason. Ok.

..... funny Some analysts said this about the iPod, the Apple Store, the iMac .... back when Apple stock was trading around $22 to $25 a share in 2002. Sucks to be right. Maybe some people don't want a Mac Tower because they're afraid it might become as popular as the iPod or the iMac. Of course, *that* would be bad for Apple, yes? I don't think the target market for the Tower would be any smaller than the Mac Mini. And since Apple doesn't mind selling a cheap computer with cheap parts, it certainly shouldn't mind selling a more expensive and featureful computer between the iMac and the Mac Pro, yes? I'm starting to think that Apple just really doesn't understand its customers. I hope MacWorld 2008 proves me (and the many others) wanting a Tower, right. If wrong, I'd bet many of us will drop Apple like a rock (and others wanting to buy a new desktop sans Vista w/ Leopard instead). Sorry!

(I'm just using the quotes here for my own convenience, no harm intended :) ).

You're on your own there! I heart my OS X.