Windows Vista Service Pack 1 RTM x86 leaked

I just got an email from one of Microsoft people in Norway. She said SP1 likely will hit MSDN in early march.

Which isn't really news, as we already knew mid March as the WU release date.

If that's true though, and MSDN is being set to that date as well, then MS have to be doing some sort of build changes....

Sorry Lenin, just corrected that post, was sidetracked :)

Edited by Raa

Which isn't really news, as we already knew mid March as the WU release date.

If that's true though, and MSDN are being pushed back, then MS have to be doing some sort of build changes....

MSDN pushed back from what date?

yeah Dxdiag is updated to 6.00.6001.18000 but still says DirectX 10, not 10.1.

Maybe it wouldnt appear as 10.1 anyways.

read a few posts back, DirectX 10.1 is included.

Post your source!

It is NOT the final. The final has not been released. End of story.

While the code *has* gone gold, it won't be released from *shipping* until March 20th (per announcement from MS) due ot issues with certain drivers from certain companies (for some reason, the problematical driver manufacturers have not been named or leaked). Oddly enough, I'm running the last public version of Vista SP1 (RC Refresh) and I'm having no such issues with it or drivers I'm using with it.

i've been lurking on this thread here since feb 3rd. i dont understand how come some of you spend so much time speculating about things that have been made clear. just read what freaking MS said:

SP1 is done and it was released to OEMs (RTM) on the 4th. 99.9% of the code will remain the same as the RTW (release to web, consumer release). it has been released as is to OEMs as is because all of the OEMs can know if the 0.1% will affect them, and most importantly they can fix the problem if it arises . these issues, BTW, are related to some drivers breaking after SP1 is installed, which can be fixed simply by reinstalling the driver.

consumers, for the most part (obviously not the folks here) would have problems with those drivers breaking, so in order to ensure that as many consumers as possible will have a smooth experience, they wont let them grab a hold of sp1 until that 0.1% has been corrected.

even IF the code was 100% ok, they might have still done it the same way because they want sp1 to be available for download on the same day that the very first new pc running sp1 hits the shelves of your nearest circuit city. would you have done it this way if you were billy? no. is it understandable? completely.

in a few words, RC (refresh 2) IS the final SP1, as it was correctly speculated on technet in late january. if that release is working for you, it means that the 0.1% involves drivers which your system does not use, and therefore, in your case, that version is effectively the same as the RTW. what will the version # be? i have no clue, but it will probably not be the january 28 18:40 build.

want the final sp1? install refresh 2, any drivers break, reinstall those drivers, you're done. then go back to doing something useful.

EDIT: basically i'm just putting into more words what PGHammer said above.

Greetings, all.

I've been lurking around here for quite some time.

After using the registry hack posted earlier in the thread, I downloaded the "Release Candidate 1" version of Vista SP1 off of Windows Update. However, unlike the previous test versions I had installed this version did not contain a version number for this service pack, or an expiration date, as shown in the attached screencap.

I did not install Refresh 2 when it came out, so I didn't actually catch whether or not it had a version number/expiration attached to it (though I assume it did). So I'm wondering if, while everything on WU is still labelled RC1, whether Microsoft has quietly slipped the RTM code in place behind it.

Not sure. At any rate, it installed fine and if, for some reason, this isn't the RTM, then I simply re-install it in a month's time.

Just thought I'd make this observation.

post-146089-1202317452_thumb.jpg

:D No. But I'm angry at Microsoft, they just can't seem to stop monkeying about with Vista. If the final slipstreamed iso isn't on connect in the next 24 hours. I'm abandoning this ship.

no dont do that! without you microsoft will collapse!

While the code *has* gone gold, it won't be released from *shipping* until March 20th (per announcement from MS) due ot issues with certain drivers from certain companies (for some reason, the problematical driver manufacturers have not been named or leaked). Oddly enough, I'm running the last public version of Vista SP1 (RC Refresh) and I'm having no such issues with it or drivers I'm using with it.

could be nvidia

i dunno but i had major probs with my network card with 18000

well, winsupersite is a good enough source of windows info but imho unless the iso shows up on msdn its not 100% confirmed.. just what I think

I've heard in another group that the copy of sp1 that was from january is indeed the rtm

"Windows Vista SP1 build 18000 is indeed the RTM build. We were hoping build

18000 we released to you (WU only) was the final build and as it happens we

didn't have to break the glass, the build didn't change at all from the time

we released it to you and our final sign-off on Monday morning this week.

What you got is what we're all running our Vista machines here internally -

we definitely RTM'd :)

You've probably all read that we are targeting mid-March to release SP1

standalone on the download center and push SP1 out via WU. We've seen a lot

of requests from our tech beta for bits on Connect before hand we're still

trying to get approval for that, so stay tuned.

We apologize for the confusion over the final build - build 18000, Vista SP1

RTM.

Regards,

Jeff"

Greetings, all.

I've been lurking around here for quite some time.

After using the registry hack posted earlier in the thread, I downloaded the "Release Candidate 1" version of Vista SP1 off of Windows Update. However, unlike the previous test versions I had installed this version did not contain a version number for this service pack, or an expiration date, as shown in the attached screencap.

I did not install Refresh 2 when it came out, so I didn't actually catch whether or not it had a version number/expiration attached to it (though I assume it did). So I'm wondering if, while everything on WU is still labelled RC1, whether Microsoft has quietly slipped the RTM code in place behind it.

Not sure. At any rate, it installed fine and if, for some reason, this isn't the RTM, then I simply re-install it in a month's time.

Just thought I'd make this observation.

That is the RTM bits. Even though it is labeled as RC1 something on Windows Update it is RTM. You have the final version. Enjoy!

I've read reports of Vista SP1 discs (holographic) being sent out already and SP1 RTM is the build thats been on the web the last few days.

I took the 32BIT SP1 RTM full iso, Vlited it and installed and it's working great! :D

Glad the integrated package exists as I refuse to install Vista with all the bloat. My install DVD is down to around 600MB from a couple of GB.

I've read reports of Vista SP1 discs (holographic) being sent out already and SP1 RTM is the build thats been on the web the last few days.

I took the 32BIT SP1 RTM full iso, Vlited it and installed and it's working great! :D

Glad the integrated package exists as I refuse to install Vista with all the bloat. My install DVD is down to around 600MB from a couple of GB.

Yeh same, I also never install Vista with all of the bloat.

I've seen a definite performance increase on my laptop with single processor, it seems everything is much more responsive than what it used to be.

there's no switch to install the service pack without an uninstall method...

Does anyone know how to install it without creating an uninstall folder with a bunch of crap in it?

thanks!

off-topic question

does windows 2008 server have Directx10? Does it have superfetch?

anyone know if their will ever be a pro version

Win2k8 server I believe doesn't have DirectX10 as its not meant for gaming but not 100% sure if it has it or not, doesn't make sense to me if it did tho. As for superfetech no idea if it does.

there's no switch to install the service pack without an uninstall method...

Does anyone know how to install it without creating an uninstall folder with a bunch of crap in it?

thanks!

you can clean up afterwards by running

vsp1cln.exe

I've heard in another group that the copy of sp1 that was from january is indeed the rtm

"Windows Vista SP1 build 18000 is indeed the RTM build. We were hoping build

18000 we released to you (WU only) was the final build and as it happens we

didn't have to break the glass, the build didn't change at all from the time

we released it to you and our final sign-off on Monday morning this week.

What you got is what we're all running our Vista machines here internally -

we definitely RTM'd :)

You've probably all read that we are targeting mid-March to release SP1

standalone on the download center and push SP1 out via WU. We've seen a lot

of requests from our tech beta for bits on Connect before hand we're still

trying to get approval for that, so stay tuned.

We apologize for the confusion over the final build - build 18000, Vista SP1

RTM.

Regards,

Jeff"

This was posted on the Connect newsgroups for the SP1 beta program and is 100% correct. Rest assured: Windows Vista SP1 RC Refresh 2 is indeed the RTM build.

off-topic question

does windows 2008 server have Directx10? Does it have superfetch?

anyone know if their will ever be a pro version

It should have DX10.1 if you install the desktop experience.

Superfetch should be on by default, but tuned to a server environment.

No, there will not be a Windows 2008 Pro, Vista SP1 is Windows 2008 Pro. (Turn off the themes service in Vista, it will look like Windows 2008)