The Big Wrestling Thread!

51 minutes ago, episode said:

Can't really postpone it, though. You need to have the matches. Unless you're just not going to have new programming, which I'm sure USA and Fox would not have liked.

It shouldn't be called 'WrestleMania' though, just call it some special name, and hold WM later in the year.

Yeah I agree, I wouldn't be against a Summer Wrestlemania, open air would be epic

Having watched both nights - there were some "Well a match happened and that's that" parts, but I actually (against my preconceived ideas) really enjoyed it.

It was silly, it was different, there was some good in-ring action and good in-ring story telling, the correct belts changed hands.  Was it the best Mania ever? Lord no.  But did they take a risk and it seems to have paid off?  Totally!

WWE is really becoming a boring circus. Did you guys see The Undertaker at Wrestlemania 36? Dressed up like The American Bad Ass? Seriously? 

I thought they had forgotten about that stupid gimmick years ago? That is not The Undertaker. That stupid Biker gimmick just doesn’t do it. There is no mystery to it. No eerie sense. He really needs to hang up the boots already if he is going to continue with that. Just my two cents.

On the WWE "News" section:

"WWE has come to terms on the release of Kurt Angle, Rusev (Miroslav Barnyashev), Drake Maverick (James Curtin), Zack Ryder (Matthew Cardona), Curt Hawkins (Brian Myers), Karl Anderson (Chad Allegra), Luke Gallows (Drew Hankinson), Heath Slater (Heath Miller), Eric Young (Jeremy Fritz), Rowan (Joseph Ruud), Sarah Logan (Sarah Rowe), No Way Jose (Levis Valenzuela), Mike Chioda, Mike Kanellis (Mike Bennett), Maria Kanellis, EC3 (Michael Hutter), Aiden English (Matthew Rehwoldt), Lio Rush (Lionel Green), Primo (Edwin Colon) and Epico (Orlando Colon Nieves). We wish them all the best in their future endeavors."

• 1 month later...

You still need to make an account, and currently the free content is limited to the following:

WrestleMania 31 to 35
Last 5 Backlash PPVs
Raw: 2nd March to 27th April
Smackdown: 6th March to 1st May
NXT: 4th March to 29th April
Takeover: New Orleans to Portland
Monday Night War series
Total Divas S1 to S9
Total Bellas S1 to S4
Royal Rumble 2019 and 2015
All Episodes of Ride Along
All episodes of The Bump
All Episodes of Table for 3
All Episodes of Best of WWE
Season 1 of Miz and Mrs.

Edit: also Backlash 2003

source for listing of free content: https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/gukaau/wwe_launches_free_version_of_streaming_network/fsj1mj2/

• 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 27/08/2021 at 09:59, Kriz said:

How did we all enjoy the biggest pop in wrestling history? :)

AEW are killing it at the moment, it helps they have a massive chequebook and an owner who likes the fun side of the product

• 2 weeks later...

Holy crap, the thread's still going! Well, a lot has certainly changed in the past 18 months or so, that's for sure.

Have to admit during the first few months of the pandemic I eventually gave up on Raw and SmackDown, and now I've stopped watching NXT on a regular basis as well, just the odd clip here and there - usually involving InDex or Cameron Grimes lately.

I'm pretty much full-time on AEW now, watching all their shows - including the Dark/Elevation ones on YouTube - and even some of the vlog series with Being the Elite and Sammy Guevara's vlog.

I was watching Impact every week up until very recently when they stopped putting it up for free on Impact Plus in the UK (you've gotta subscribe now), so I'm dipping in and out on them at the moment, but they've had a hell of a turnaround the past couple of years, it really feels like they'll never die.

Speaking of seemingly immortal promotions: the NWA! I was enjoying Powerrr until they put it behind a paid subscription on Fite, and now they just seem to be making questionable decisions - Nick Aldis' 1,000+ day reign as world champion - as well as questionable hirings, like 48 year old Tyrus. Good for Trevor Murdoch though, being the one to dethrone Aldis; he's definitely got the classic NWA look, let's just hope he doesn't end up dropping the title straight back to Aldis like with Cody Rhodes.

Anyway, have a brand new Botchamania that just went up a few hours ago...

• 3 months later...
On 20/09/2021 at 22:03, MightyJordan said:

Holy crap, the thread's still going! Well, a lot has certainly changed in the past 18 months or so, that's for sure.

Have to admit during the first few months of the pandemic I eventually gave up on Raw and SmackDown, and now I've stopped watching NXT on a regular basis as well, just the odd clip here and there - usually involving InDex or Cameron Grimes lately.

I'm pretty much full-time on AEW now, watching all their shows - including the Dark/Elevation ones on YouTube - and even some of the vlog series with Being the Elite and Sammy Guevara's vlog.

I was watching Impact every week up until very recently when they stopped putting it up for free on Impact Plus in the UK (you've gotta subscribe now), so I'm dipping in and out on them at the moment, but they've had a hell of a turnaround the past couple of years, it really feels like they'll never die.

Speaking of seemingly immortal promotions: the NWA! I was enjoying Powerrr until they put it behind a paid subscription on Fite, and now they just seem to be making questionable decisions - Nick Aldis' 1,000+ day reign as world champion - as well as questionable hirings, like 48 year old Tyrus. Good for Trevor Murdoch though, being the one to dethrone Aldis; he's definitely got the classic NWA look, let's just hope he doesn't end up dropping the title straight back to Aldis like with Cody Rhodes.

Anyway, have a brand new Botchamania that just went up a few hours ago...

I can't be full time AEW because I see so many similarities to WCW, I think there's to much going on there and their roster is to deep. Everytime someone leaves WWE its "off to AEW" and everyone gets lost, I mean look at Miro went to the greener side and now lost on the roster.

Also Cody annoys me

On 09/01/2022 at 13:59, Damo R. said:

I mean look at Miro went to the greener side and now lost on the roster.

Miro's been working hurt for quite a while in AEW. He's finally taken time off to heal a hamstring injury.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Forbidden Door was epic!

EndU6oC.gif

^^ this was amazing, a man his age shouldn't be doing this! ^^

Also Ospreay vs Orange Cassidy was 5

On 09/01/2022 at 18:59, Rappy said:

I can't be full time AEW because I see so many similarities to WCW, I think there's to much going on there and their roster is to deep. Everytime someone leaves WWE its "off to AEW" and everyone gets lost

True, especially since Tony Khan bought ROH now as well. That roster depth ended up coming in handy though after all the injuries in the runup to Forbidden Door; it was like the show was cursed, but they pulled it off in the end (bar Adam Cole getting injured in the IWGP heavyweight title match).

Speaking of Cole, this went up earlier today:

On 09/01/2022 at 18:59, Rappy said:

Also Cody annoys me

Well, that one sorted itself out in the end! 😜

On 04/07/2022 at 00:45, Rappy said:

Forbidden Door was epic!

EndU6oC.gif

^^ this was amazing, a man his age shouldn't be doing this! ^^

Also Ospreay vs Orange Cassidy was 5

It's been a week and I still love that spot every time I see it. I only saw Sting in TNA growing up, so it's mad to see him doing crazy stuff like this at least once a month now in his 60s!

And yeah, Ospreay vs. OC was definitely match of the night. Bit of a shame they couldn't clear the rights for his new/old theme in time for Forbidden Door, but it went well at Blood and Guts...

On 04/07/2022 at 01:00, MightyJordan said:

It's been a week and I still love that spot every time I see it. I only saw Sting in TNA growing up, so it's mad to see him doing crazy stuff like this at least once a month now in his 60s!

And yeah, Ospreay vs. OC was definitely match of the night. Bit of a shame they couldn't clear the rights for his new/old theme in time for Forbidden Door, but it went well at Blood and Guts...

I was the WCW mark back in the day, lived during the Monday Night Wars so Sting for me was the orange tight wearing white face paint wearing wrestler.

• 1 year later...

Is wrestling dead? I for one do not watch it anymore but it seems that the sport is ending, referring to the activity here.

On 29/08/2023 at 11:54, Wannes said:

Is wrestling dead? I for one do not watch it anymore but it seems that the sport is ending, referring to the activity here.

Considering that AEW just put on a Wembley PPV that had the highest non-US gate ever, I'd suggest not.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I've been out of the WWE loop for some time, but had a free day and watched the Royal Rumble and then the following RAW.  So i'm not fully caught up.  I need to find some more free time to watch a few more things to see what's going on again.

• Like 1

On 13/02/2024 at 18:47, George P said:

I've been out of the WWE loop for some time, but had a free day and watched the Royal Rumble and then the following RAW.  So i'm not fully caught up.  I need to find some more free time to watch a few more things to see what's going on again.

The current Rock/Reigns/Cody story is worth a watch.

On 13/02/2024 at 20:48, Dick Montage said:

The current Rock/Reigns/Cody story is worth a watch.

Yeah, I've heard talk of it being a bit more like the old attitude era so that's what brought me back in.   I also enjoyed the fact Bayley won the RR, as it was the only thing she hadn't gotten.   I saw a post saying she'll fight Io Sky at WW though?   I'm missing eps but I don't understand that matchup unless they're thinking about breaking up Damage Control? 

On 13/02/2024 at 18:56, George P said:

breaking up Damage Control

Let's be honest, the E cannot keep a tag team together for longer than 5 minutes these days!

On 13/02/2024 at 20:59, Dick Montage said:

Let's be honest, the E cannot keep a tag team together for longer than 5 minutes these days!

True, I would've liked Bayley vs Ria though but I guess they have other plans.  

• Like 1

Rhea is an absolute workhorse and exactly what the women's division needs.  Bailey is a phenomenal in-ring storyteller and again a great worker.  I just don't see that match-up as one I care for.  Bailey works best as a heel, and I don't see that heel vs heel dynamic working here.  Sure, they are turning Bailey face, but face Bailey holds little interest for me!