• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

The Big Wrestling Thread!

Recommended Posts

LOC    1,170

Can AEW use Bash at the Beach as a PPV name? Didn't WCW run those, thus WWE owns the name?

 

Ah, quick search got this: WWE no longer own the rights to the 'Bash at the Beach' trademark as it was left to expire in 2004/2005 after their purchase of WCW. Cody Rhodes EVP for All Elite Wrestling (AEW) trademarked the name in early 2019 as it was created by his father, Dusty Rhodes. AEW Bash at the Beach was announced on November 18, 2019.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MightyJordan    7,821

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MightyJordan    7,821

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MightyJordan    7,821

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MightyJordan    7,821

NWA Powerrr's been reuploaded:

 

Presumably to edit out this line from Jim Cornette...

 

...which he's since resigned over.

 

And turns out he's used it before.

 

Must admit I missed it while watching the premiere last night. Big yikes, though. Good thing he's gone; he's been getting real annoying the past few years. Anything remotely comedic in the indies, he immediately dismisses as "outlaw mudshow wrestling"; he's just been the living embodiment of "old man yells at cloud". Even gone as far as to block his own son on Twitter!

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MightyJordan    7,821

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MightyJordan    7,821

Time for more yikes: ROH have fired their women's champion while she's still injured...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LOC    1,170
3 hours ago, MightyJordan said:

Time for more yikes: ROH have fired their women's champion while she's still injured...

 

I was just reading about this, it seems there is more to it than just "ROH fired her". As far as I can see, she breached her contract by spilling the beans on info and stuff on social media and what not and tried to boost someone else's presence there (by doing what though I don't know) and it seems this person is Joey Mercury? In any event, ROH put out a statement that she was not fired, and is still under contract until the end of the year, but they are not renewing her contract. AKA they don't wanna pay her for a 6-month no-compete clause thing. Either way, look for her to go to AEW since her husband BJ is already working there. Unless AEW takes a look at all this and says, no thanks. BJ has a history of drug and alcohol abuse and she's got her own problems, and I learned all this from the internets!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MightyJordan    7,821
17 hours ago, LOC said:

I was just reading about this, it seems there is more to it than just "ROH fired her". As far as I can see, she breached her contract by spilling the beans on info and stuff on social media and what not and tried to boost someone else's presence there (by doing what though I don't know) and it seems this person is Joey Mercury? In any event, ROH put out a statement that she was not fired, and is still under contract until the end of the year, but they are not renewing her contract. AKA they don't wanna pay her for a 6-month no-compete clause thing. Either way, look for her to go to AEW since her husband BJ is already working there. Unless AEW takes a look at all this and says, no thanks. BJ has a history of drug and alcohol abuse and she's got her own problems, and I learned all this from the internets!

Joey Mercury's definitely been spilling a lot of behind-the-scenes stories on Twitter recently. I think he mentioned something about pay before; might have been someone else, but I definitely remember someone saying Kelly Klein was on $24k a year with ROH, and apparently all of their female wrestlers are on the same amount. I think she might have asked for a raise due to being champion; memory's a bit hazy at the moment, though, and so much more have come out since that it's hard to keep up.

 

She has debunked one rumour, though...

 

...and Joey's still sticking the knife in.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MightyJordan    7,821

And he's also tweeted the email Kelly got basically future endeavouring her:

So yeah, like @LOCsaid. Either BJ Whitmer overreacted by saying she was fired, or ROH toned it down.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MightyJordan    7,821

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MightyJordan    7,821

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LOC    1,170
5 hours ago, MightyJordan said:

And he's also tweeted the email Kelly got basically future endeavouring her:

So yeah, like @LOCsaid. Either BJ Whitmer overreacted by saying she was fired, or ROH toned it down.

Yep, either way its not a good look. Either she was being underpayed hardcore and then fired basically for being hurt or she's being underpayed and then the company is letting her contract run out because reasons and her BF is going off the deep end trying to pin it on ROH, while Joey Mercury of all people is just lathering everything up with froth. Who knows, its a nasty situation though, for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MightyJordan    7,821

It's going mainstream now. https://www.newsweek.com/ring-honor-kelly-klein-concussion-medical-policy-management-1473223

 

There's a lot of eye-opening stuff in the article.

 

Turns out Kelly Klein's on just $20k a year, so she's actually earning less than me and my call centre job.

 

ROH's general manager Greg Gilleland forgot to exercise their option to renew Maria Manic's contract in September, basically saying it's down to the wrestlers to tell them they want to stay, rather than them reaching out, and also ###### on the entire roster by saying none of them are "going to make us millions".

 

Worst of all, though, is they still don't have medical staff at all their shows (which I think Joey Mercury mentioned in previous tweets); they're there only when state athletic commissions require it, or if they're in a venue that happens to provide the staff off their own back (like the UK show where Klein got concussed in the first place).

Edited by MightyJordan
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LOC    1,170

Yeah, this whole situation, whether or not ROH fired her or not is just gross at this point. Paying women wrestlers that little compared to the male wrestlers is just nuts in 2019 especially. Do they want such bad press and possible lawsuits? Cuz I bet some woman's group is getting ready to sue them for such inequality in salary. I know they are just "independent contractors" and all but sheesh. And the medical staff at events is just nuts for the supposed 3rd biggest promotion in the North American part of the world. I guess they might be 4th now, Impact might be bigger than them?? And NWA is more put together than ROH now, and they just had that whole Cornette thing!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MightyJordan    7,821
15 minutes ago, LOC said:

the supposed 3rd biggest promotion in the North American part of the world. I guess they might be 4th now, Impact might be bigger than them?? And NWA is more put together than ROH now, and they just had that whole Cornette thing!

Impact's definitely bigger than them; they've got a proper national TV deal, for starters (ROH is syndicated and all over the place), and I'm pretty sure they've got a higher average attendance at the moment. So I'd put ROH as 4th biggest for now until NJPW America starts up, then they'll probably drop out the top 5 if Billy Corgan starts scaling up the NWA next year.

 

Speaking of which, as you said, it's weird that NWA are more organised than ROH right now, and that's even with Dave Lagana (vice president, used to be head writer for TNA) sympathising with white supremacists and Billy Corgan being a conspiracy nutter who's been on bloody InfoWars before!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LOC    1,170

Ugh I had no idea about Dave Lagana. Bleh. As for Billy Corgan, I feel like after the whole TNA/Impact thing went down, he went down hill fast. I don't remember him being so weird and so obviously into stuff Infowars etc puts out. I mean, he was on a podcast a couple years ago (I think it was the Joe Rogan show) and he SEEMED fine but there was something about the way he talked about certain things that gave me caution. And well, I guess that checks out nowadays.

 

And I totally forgot NJPW America was gonna be a thing soon. I sure hope they can pull off some good stuff, as I'd love to see more NJPW in general. I'd have to say other than quite a few NXT matches and the rare WWE match, and some AEW matches and MAYBE a few matches from Impact or NWA - NJPW always puts on amazing matches. Even their bad matches are pretty fun to watch lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MightyJordan    7,821

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MightyJordan    7,821
Spoiler

...pretty sure we just saw Adam Cole die (again) at NXT Takeover. Even more surprising they showed Britt Baker in the crowd and mentioned her.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LOC    1,170
2 hours ago, MightyJordan said:
  Hide contents

...pretty sure we just saw Adam Cole die (again) at NXT Takeover. Even more surprising they showed Britt Baker in the crowd and mentioned her.

 

Spoiler

HHH said not to acknowledge her or her relationship with Cole isn't something he wants to do (or WWE wants to do, which HAHAAH right) since it could cause her heat and trouble at her current company. And that she's currently killing it there also (is she really though?). Plus he said the camera operator basically looked for the most horrified face in the crowd they could find when that big spot happened and it was her, which makes sense considering.

 

Also, Kevin Owens showed up and joined Team Daddy Ciampa for those wondering. And Balor beat Matt Riddle. And Keith Lee is amazing. That is all.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MightyJordan    7,821
6 hours ago, LOC said:
  Reveal hidden contents

HHH said not to acknowledge her or her relationship with Cole isn't something he wants to do (or WWE wants to do, which HAHAAH right) since it could cause her heat and trouble at her current company. And that she's currently killing it there also (is she really though?). Plus he said the camera operator basically looked for the most horrified face in the crowd they could find when that big spot happened and it was her, which makes sense considering.

 

Also, Kevin Owens showed up and joined Team Daddy Ciampa for those wondering. And Balor beat Matt Riddle. And Keith Lee is amazing. That is all.

 

Spoiler

Got it on video:


I agree with you she isn't really "killing it" in AEW at the moment; obviously she's near the top of their rankings, but hardly any fans are into her, and we're getting told she's a dentist so many times that it's become a meme on the level of Rellik (that's Killer spelt backwards!).

 

And Keith Lee doesn't need to be a spoiler; he's always amazing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
George P    5,559

I'm with you guys, man NXT Takeover war games was epic.   The only little lull was the triple threat match IMO.  Even the way the womens match went was great, it could've been arguably match of the night if not for the ending to the mens match.

 

It's a shame that the main shows can't come up with this type of creative, which just shows that Vince really needs to gtfo of the way ffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MightyJordan    7,821

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MightyJordan    7,821

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.