F1 World Championship 2008 Thread

bayrider

I've never heard James Allen other than on Youtube, but in the US & Canada we get Bob Varsha & Peter Windsor. Great commentators imo.

Anyone have pics of Ferrari's new nose? Apparently they're using a new nose with some big vents in them. I can't imagine what they look like

CrashG
I've never heard James Allen other than on Youtube, but in the US & Canada we get Bob Varsha & Peter Windsor. Great commentators imo.

Anyone have pics of Ferrari's new nose? Apparently they're using a new nose with some big vents in them. I can't imagine what they look like

Don't forget Steve Matchett and David Hobbs. :)

I've been looking for some pics of the new nose configuration, but no luck so far. Found one here http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/66640

• 2 weeks later...
CrashG

Friday Practice (Session 1 and 2) Results:

spainpra1ph6.gif

spainpra2jy6.gif

CrashG

Qualifying Results:

spainqualimj8.gif

How light on fuel is Alonso?

Fergie

All I can say is what the **** after that quali session.

.mcman
All I can say is what the **** after that quali session.

same here. :/

+Frank B.

Look at the Q2 result. Alonso was faster than the McLarens there as well. It looks like Renault has moved forward whereas McLaren is stagnating.

Should be an interesting race tomorrow.

Fergie

Or, as Spain usually is, a 66 Parade lap.

Anyone else watch the GP2 race on ITV4? That was good.

Fourjays

Barring Raikkonen, the top 5 were so close.

I doubt Renault has made that big-a leap. I'm sure Alonso will be the first to pit and has just got a very light fuel load to put on a show for the home crowd.

Anyone know if McLaren have bought any new aero to the car for Barcelona? I haven't heard anything mentioned.

Fergie

Everyone bar STR(Toro Rosso) have updated their car. STR are bringing a new car to Turkey 2 weeks from now.

CrashG

Ferrari 1-2, Hamilton third. Engine blowup for Alonso.

Very scary crash for Heikki Kovalainen, but said to be fine.

More points for Kubica in the BMW, and good race for Webber.

Race Results:

spainraceey0.gif

Fourjays

Unusually eventful race for Barcelona. Nasty accident for Heikki, glad he is ok though.

Looked like both Ferraris had to keep pushing as Lewis and Kubica kept close the entire race. Hope it continues. :)

Renault do seem quicker. Probably the 4th best team now.

Fergie

Holy ****, that was a nasty looking crash.

.mcman

I'm glad Heikki is ok. Shame about safety car though, it ruined Heidfeld's race. It's a stupid rule anyway.

CrashG
I'm glad Heikki is ok. Shame about safety car though, it ruined Heidfeld's race. It's a stupid rule anyway.

Yeah I think that rule is stupid also. There is no way to predict when/if the safety car will come out, you have to have your pit strategy set on Saturday. So that pretty much leaves two options, take a 10 second stop and go (on top of an extra stop), or run out of fuel on track. :wacko:

Fourjays

It is a stupid rule, but so was the free for all pit stop mania that used to happen. Today under the old rules would have resulted in the top 4-5 cars being significantly disadvantaged (the other teams get a free pit stop), which also isn't fair.

IMO, they should allow them to pit but require the cars to stay stationary an additional number of seconds, to negate the advantage of pitting under the safety car. I'm sure the amount could be calculated, although it would have to be different at each track. In addition, they should also disallow queuing for the pit box as this wouldn't take place under normal conditions, unless an unexpected stop occurs.

CrashG

^That sounds like a reasonable option. Your right, it was mass chaos before. What about once the safety car picks up the leader, on the next lap you can pit, but no stacking the pits.

Fourjays

Might work. Any rule would only need to eliminate the free pit stop that they used to get from an SC pit stop.

They could make the drivers drive at SC speed on the SC laps. It could be measured by comparing the drivers laps to the SCs lap. Anyone who has a lap 110% of the SC gets a penalty. Similar to the new in/out lap rule.

Fergie

vc8170427091024x768wx5.jpg

****ing hell, no wonder he was knocked unconscious. I didn't realize his head went under the belt.

CrashG
****ing hell, no wonder he was knocked unconscious. I didn't realize his head went under the belt.

I'm sure that it will be looked at for future track safety changes. With the design of the front of the cars it's easy to see how it could go under and lift the tyre wall. Glad to know that he's ok. Kovalainen safe and well after high-speed accident in Spain

Mike
I'm sure that it will be looked at for future track safety changes. With the design of the front of the cars it's easy to see how it could go under and lift the tyre wall. Glad to know that he's ok. Kovalainen safe and well after high-speed accident in Spain

it may be worse to stop the cars going under, the tyres need to move away to cushion the impact. if that car didnt go under the tyres the decelerating distance could have been halved, if not more, and greatly increasing the force on impact. must have been one hell of a wack considering the tyres are fastened to the front cover and have been pulled off

CrashG
it may be worse to stop the cars going under, the tyres need to move away to cushion the impact. if that car didnt go under the tyres the decelerating distance could have been halved, if not more, and greatly increasing the force on impact. must have been one hell of a wack considering the tyres are fastened to the front cover and have been pulled off

That's true, but there are usually steel/concrete barriers behind those tyre walls. The conveyor belts are just bolted to the tyres so it's fairly easy to rip through.

sundayx

The wall did what it was supposed, he had no big injuries, if it's doing its job then don't change it.

• 2 weeks later...
Fourjays
Super Aguri pulls out of F1

Super Aguri has pulled out of Formula 1 with immediate effect, leaving Takuma Sato and Anthony Davidson without drives.

The team's future had been in doubt since a proposed buyout deal with the Magma Group fell through following the Bahrain Grand Prix.

Aguri Suzuki's squad raced in Spain with assistance from Honda and hoped that a rescue package from German automotive firm Weigl AG would allow it to stay afloat, but in a statement released this morning, Suzuki confirmed that his team had reached the end of the road.

Full Article

I've always liked and wanted more teams on the grid. :(

Hopefully one of those many potential teams bidding for the 2008 space that Pro Drive "sort of got" will be able to get an entry to 2009 alongside Pro Drive... assuming the whole customer car mess is sorted out by then so potential teams actually know where they stand.