F1 World Championship 2008 Thread

I think this is going to be McLaren's race. They look much faster in the straightaway in session 2. Corning doesn't seem to be much of an issue.

BMW hasn't addressed their top end speed issue.

If Hamilton wins pole tomorrow, it's his race to lose.

wow what a finish to Q3. Kubica takes #1 on the final lap and Hamilton jumps passed Kubica by almost a half second on his hot lap!!!

Ferrari's really struggling in the 3rd sector especially coming off the wide hairpin and onto the straightaway

Ferrari's really struggling in the 3rd sector especially coming off the wide hairpin and onto the straightaway

Definitely. They were quick in the first two sectors, but both cars seemed determined to head straight at the grass mound on the exit of the hairpin.

Very impressive lap from Lewis. I wonder what the race will bring, especially with the track surface like that.

Fantastic results for BMW. Well done and deserved win for Kubica. Heidfeld had a good race also. Good race for Massa despite the problem in the pits. A shame Hamliton didn't see the two flashing red lights and ended his and Kimi's race.

Robert Kubica now leads the Drivers Championship with 42 points, Hamilton and Massa tied with 38, with R?ikk?nen's 35 points in fourth.

Ferrari leads the Constructors Championship with 73 points, and BMW only three points behind that.

Canada Results:

canadaresultsps1.jpg

Edited by CrashGordon

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaay Kubica! :D

Was a disappointing incident in the pits. Both Lewis and Nico seemed to simply miss the red light.

Anyone know what the blue light means? It was on, just before the red light started flashing as they all approached.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaay Kubica! :D

Was a disappointing incident in the pits. Both Lewis and Nico seemed to simply miss the red light.

Anyone know what the blue light means? It was on, just before the red light started flashing as they all approached.

The blue light is to let drivers on track know that cars are exiting the pit lane.

Well done to Lewis Hamilton for missing the red light in the pit lane and not missing Kimi Raikkonen's rear wing.

Seriously though, even though I support Hamilton it was a completely silly mistake not looking for the red light.

Very pleased to see Kubica win, great work by him. :)

Penalties for Hamilton and Rosberg for the next race in France.

Hamilton and Rosberg penalized for pit-lane collisionMcLaren?s Lewis Hamilton and Williams? Nico Rosberg will drop 10 places on the grid at the next round of the championship in France as penalty for their pit-lane incident in Canada.

Hamilton ran into the back of Kimi Raikkonen?s Ferrari, which was stopped at a red light at the pit exit. The resulting damage put both men out the race, with Hamilton admitting he had not seen the light in time.

Rosberg then ran into the rear of Hamilton?s stricken McLaren, but was able to rejoin the race, despite damage to the front of his Williams

Source

So is the penalty because of the crash or because it was in the pits?

I would think it's because it was an "avoidable contact" incident, but who knows with the FIA.

I think a penalty was guaranteed, but the penalty doesn't seem consistent with previous ones.

Regardless of the penalty, I think something that is becoming clear though - the pit lights at Canada aren't as visible as other tracks or maybe we just notice it at Canada due to the SC probability. Two drivers in a short space of time, following a few years (05, 07) of pit light related problems suggests something other than just driver error to me.

Edited by Fourjays

I think a penalty was guaranteed, but the penalty doesn't seem consistent with previous ones for similar(ish) incidents. It depends at what part of it you look at it (missing the red light or the crash).

No, it will be the fact it was a Ferrari he hit.

Yep, it seems ferrari get special treatment when it comes to penalties- no matter which way the penalty is going...

pretty much classes out Mclaren holding onto the championship since they are gonna be getting small amount of points in Magny cours.

this is lovely isn't it.

now since hami and raikkonen had to suffer because of the red light - it CANT be visible ennough.

last year, since it was "only" massa and fisi - for most people still overrated nr2 drivers - no one complaint. :D

this race must have been very good for the egos of some drivers (i mean raikkonen, alonso and hamilton here) and people who really delivered and drove perfect races got more or less big points (i mean kubica, dc and felipe massa here)

anyone seen the double-pass from massa against kova and barrichello? imho the best moment of the race. :)

only a shame for kova... everything seems going wrong :(

I think a penalty was guaranteed, but the penalty doesn't seem consistent with previous ones.

Regardless of the penalty, I think something that is becoming clear though - the pit lights at Canada aren't as visible as other tracks or maybe we just notice it at Canada due to the SC probability. Two drivers in a short space of time, following a few years (05, 07) of pit light related problems suggests something other than just driver error to me.

On the replay the red light was completely, 100% without a doubt, visible. I actually told myself that the light was exceptionally bright given that it was daylight. Not only that, but it was FLASHING red before it went on a full red. There is absolutely no way you miss the red light UNLESS you're looking at the car in front of you and trying to seize an opportunity to pass, which is exactly what Hamilton was doing.

I think the penalty is warranted because had Hamilton not reared into Kimmi, he would have run the red light anyways.

It's quite obvious the penalty was for an avoidable racing incident. Both Kubica and Kimi saw the light and stopped, Lewis' lack of experience obviously showed here. Kimi's pace was coming on really strong before he pit, catching Kubica at a rate of 1 second per lap, and he came out in front of Lewis in the pits.. he was looking very good for the win, 10 points, or at least 8 points.

this is lovely isn't it.

now since hami and raikkonen had to suffer because of the red light - it CANT be visible ennough.

last year, since it was "only" massa and fisi - for most people still overrated nr2 drivers - no one complaint. :D

this race must have been very good for the egos of some drivers (i mean raikkonen, alonso and hamilton here) and people who really delivered and drove perfect races got more or less big points (i mean kubica, dc and felipe massa here)

anyone seen the double-pass from massa against kova and barrichello? imho the best moment of the race. :)

only a shame for kova... everything seems going wrong :(

It's not because it was Hamilton and Raikkonen, but because it was the third time a red light incident has occurred at Montreal. As I said, it may be because red light at the exit only occur under the safety car and Canada has many safety cars. I loved Massa's moves on those guys and the Toyota. Great opportunity moves, which IMO, take some guts as you don't know quite what the car in front will do.

On the replay the red light was completely, 100% without a doubt, visible. I actually told myself that the light was exceptionally bright given that it was daylight. Not only that, but it was FLASHING red before it went on a full red. There is absolutely no way you miss the red light UNLESS you're looking at the car in front of you and trying to seize an opportunity to pass, which is exactly what Hamilton was doing.

I think the penalty is warranted because had Hamilton not reared into Kimmi, he would have run the red light anyways.

Not disagreeing with you in this case, but what we see and the drivers see are two completely different things. I think you are probably right regards Lewis looking to pass though.

It's difficult to remember, but this is only his second year of racing, and he didn't make many of the traditional rookie errors last year (like Piquet is this year). At the end of the day it only improves them though.