F1 World Championship 2008 Thread

I don't know what the hang up is on Raikkonen losing control of his car. It was an unavoidable accident. The cars rear brakes were too cold after the safety car went in and when he hit the brakes coming out of the tunnel (the biggest braking point at Monaco), the rear wheels locked up which caused the car to try to spin. He tried to correct it and while he stopped it spinning the result was the car yawed and slid all the way to the corner. The only alternatives would have been to not brake and hit Sutil at speed, or to let the car spin out and have all the cars following smash into the ensuing chaos of car parts spread across the tunnel exit.

The accident that should be being discussed for punishment is Alonso's move on Heidfeld - that was completely stupid.

it really goes beyond my imagination that everytime raikkonen screws it up, there is an excuse made. didnt the other drivers had to deal with the same rear-brake temps after sc was circulating for some rounds?

you'd maybe expect such a mistake from a rookie but not from a worldchamp, which, then, makes me even more convinced that his 2007 title was not much more than luck.

felipe massa is putting him under massive pressure now and it will be interesting to see what happens during the next races.

it really goes beyond my imagination that everytime raikkonen screws it up, there is an excuse made. didnt the other drivers had to deal with the same rear-brake temps after sc was circulating for some rounds?

you'd maybe expect such a mistake from a rookie but not from a worldchamp, which, then, makes me even more convinced that his 2007 title was not much more than luck.

felipe massa is putting him under massive pressure now and it will be interesting to see what happens during the next races.

Everyone makes excuses for their favourite drivers, but Raikkonen is not mine - he's 2nd last in my mental list of favourite drivers. :rofl:

Yes they would have and the pre-requisite to the incident was that Raikkonen hadn't warmed his brakes up enough. That is his fault. Hitting Sutil was just an unfortunate consequence of it though. Considering the possible things that could have happened from the point the car tried to spin, it was damn lucky that there wasn't a far more serious accident. If the car had spun without any attempt to keep it straight it would be Spa '98 all over again.

The rules will only punish an avoidable accident. What happened was unavoidable - Raikkonen may not have heated his brakes up properly, but he couldn't avoid hitting Sutil as he had little control over the car. On the other hand, a 2x World Champion dived down the inside of a tight corner after the car he was trying to pass had already turned in - that was an avoidable accident.

Massa has started to get himself together again, judging by Monaco. I wouldn't mind seeing him do well as he is a nice guy. He has always seemed to lack the "mental strength" that World Champions have to have, but apparently his race engineer has been working hard with him in this area, so maybe he will be a more serious contender from now on. Time will tell.

R?ikk?nen's accident with Sutil was avoidable. Mr. R. is long enough in the business to know that you have to drive carefully after a safety car period, while your brakes are still cold.

He wanted too much and essentially ruined the race for both himself and Sutil (who for me was the man of the race).

R?ikk?nen's accident with Sutil was avoidable. Mr. R. is long enough in the business to know that you have to drive carefully after a safety car period, while your brakes are still cold.

He wanted too much and essentially ruined the race for both himself and Sutil (who for me was the man of the race).

Finallyy. Thank you for saying that.

First of all, I am Ferrari supporter for over decade now and I am still with them even though Joh Todt is not there but still, as long as Michael Schumaker is there, i will root for Ferrari. now that being said I was totally disgusted by what Kimi did, his ignorance showed up, he should care more to be in race, he should care more to be safe in race for others atleast, and he should care more about his team more than anything else. what he did in Monaco showed pure arrogance. on top of that the Driver he crashed into was Sutil (From Germany ) for FORCE INDIA Team, you know... my team , i am proud how Indians are represented by this Force India team and really rooting for them too. I saw Force India team personally at Gateway of India and all Owner Mallaya , Fisichella and Sutil really did look like they wanted to prove metal and show they are worthy of Constructor points and be in Top 10 and atleast have podium finish in their first year. Kimi simply crashed into Force India, just like that. anyway. i am over it now but still ****ed of on his arrogance.

In previous race, Hami was behind Force India (Fisichella i think ) and he wasnt able to overtake him for good long 10-14 laps and when he finally overtook him, showed fisi finger or some thing , Now why did he expect Fisi to simply move out of race cause its Mclaren? its a race after all, and its not like ForceIndia car was back-marker, hami should had showed some respect , if he ever was taught that, to other driver and not expect any drivers simply to run out of race-line cause its him. I wasnt surprised by hami's arrogance after all the hype and attention he is getting in UK , its gotta go in his head, but was surprised Kimi showed it and simply didnt care for basics after going around in safety car at Monaco.

thats the end of it , for me atleast.

In previous race, Hami was behind Force India (Fisichella i think ) and he wasnt able to overtake him for good long 10-14 laps and when he finally overtook him, showed fisi finger or some thing , Now why did he expect Fisi to simply move out of race cause its Mclaren? its a race after all, and its not like ForceIndia car was back-marker, hami should had showed some respect , if he ever was taught that, to other driver and not expect any drivers simply to run out of race-line cause its him. I wasnt surprised by hami's arrogance after all the hype and attention he is getting in UK , its gotta go in his head, but was surprised Kimi showed it and simply didnt care for basics after going around in safety car at Monaco.

oh man, there was a huge thread dedicated to this moment on a russian f1 forum. :laugh: It's funny how everyone jumps to a conclusion that Hamilton meant something bad by raising his hand when he was passing Fisi. This gesture could've meant anything. For example when I put my fingers like this I'm very happy about something... And it looks like Lewis was just glad that he finally passed him. Well that's my guess anyway, because we'll never know for sure what Lewis was trying to say when he raised his hand. :)

post-120413-1211908235_thumb.jpg

oh man, there was a huge thread dedicated to this moment on a russian f1 forum. :laugh: It's funny how everyone jumps to a conclusion that Hamilton meant something bad by raising his hand when he was passing Fisi. This gesture could've meant anything. For example when I put my fingers like this I'm very happy about something... And it looks like Lewis was just glad that he finally passed him. Well that's my guess anyway, because we'll never know for sure what Lewis was trying to say when he raised his hand. :)

It think it meant don't close the door when I get into the apex. It can't be a angry gesture, because its obviously for position.

Being an Indian makes me even more ****ed off at the incident. What the hell was Raikonnen thinking? He is an experienced driver?

Dude, the only indian thing about Force india is the name and the owner lol.

First, yes , I knew there will be lots of post at F1 forum, I tried to avoid posting of that incident here, specially as all Mods and users here are from UK in major, and forum is filled with teens preteens. i try to avoid getting into this cause it takes away my time from other things. and no use fighting kids on internets.

and reluctantly i gotta reply you. Lets not kid ourself , it wasnt like Hami was saying "oh ya, i passed , eat my shorts. booyah" there was nothing 'i am soo glad' or anything like that bout it. Lots of drivers do that on unfair blocking , pushing or slowing which is understandable.

anyway.

First, yes , I knew there will be lots of post at F1 forum, I tried to avoid posting of that incident here, specially as all Mods and users here are from UK in major, and forum is filled with teens preteens. i try to avoid getting into this cause it takes away my time from other things. and no use fighting kids on internets.

I find Neowin to have far more sensible F1 discussion compared to the dedicated forums, which I find are filled with fanboy arguements. Ever say anything wrong about a Ferrari and you're banished to watch Indianapolis 2005 for all eternity!

that offends me. are you trying to say something derogatory?

wow seriusly....

no he meant just what he said. Force India isn't a very India team. He just said that the only thing conecting the team to india is it'sname and the owner. No need to look for insults where there are none...

I don't know what the hang up is on Raikkonen losing control of his car.

Pay attention, this is F1 and he's driving a red car, as soon as you're in a red car, you're evil and everything you do it, you do purposely to hurt other racers, wether you get points or not :) F1 is turning too much into "talkshit about the other guys" instead of talking aout how good yoru guys ir, or een wose, saying good things about others teams...

Wether Sutil finished or not, he proved himself on this race and everyone knows that, you don't allways have to finish to be a winner. of course, he'll still need to prove that he can do it more than once.

and yeah, there where seeral other incidents on this race that should be looked at before what was a msitake that cost Kimi his points as well as Sutil. But it's funny to see the Sofa drivers arguing how an experienced F1 driver shouldn't be allwoed to make mistakes, funny in a sad way...

Mosley stays on as FIA president

Max Mosley has won a vote of confidence to stay on as president of motorsport's governing body, the FIA.

More than a third of delegates did not back Mosley at Tuesday's meeting in Paris but he won 103 of 169 votes.

Mosley called the vote following a newspaper report that he took part in a "Nazi-style orgy" with prostitutes, though he denied Nazi connotations.

US delegate Robert Darbelnet said he was disappointed with the outcome and may withdraw his country's membership.

Mosley, 68, has kept a low profile since the News of the World broke the story in April but, following a two-hour discussion during which frank views were exchanged regarding the Englishman, Mosley was understood to be delighted after the result was announced.

The reaction from some delegates, however, has been markedly different.

President of the American Automobile Association Darbelnet said the result could split motorsport and lead to a breakaway from members from the FIA.

"We should not rush to judgement on this," he said.

"But one of the potential ramifications is the division or a split way from the organisation that might in fact provide an opportunity for like-minded clubs to find a representative body in a different form."

German motoring organisation, ADAC, was quick to voice its anger at the result.

"We view with regret and incredulity the FIA general assembly's decision in Paris, confirming Max Mosley in office as FIA president," said a spokesman.

"This is a reason for Europe's largest automobile club to let its functions and co-operation in FIA working groups rest at world level.

"ADAC will stay with its decision as long as Max Mosley holds the top FIA office of president."

More soon.

Source

My initial reaction: 'lolwut?'

I'm angry, but not surprised. ADAC (Germany) has announced they want no involvement with the FIA too. Time for a breakaway organisation?

German body leaves FIA working groups

Germany's national motoring body, ADAC, has been the first major organisation to react to Max Mosley's victory in today's confidence vote, saying they regret the result.

ADAC had been one of the bodies who had asked Mosley to reconsider his position as head of the FIA following revelations about his private life.

The German body, which claims to be the largest Automobile club in Europe, said on Tuesday that it was withdrawing all involvement with the FIA.

More At Source

I'm angry, but not surprised. ADAC (Germany) has announced they want no involvement with the FIA too. Time for a breakaway organisation?

And have another political battle like the FISA-FOCA war of the early 1980s? Bad idea, it will harm the sport more than Mosley staying on as FIA president.

And have another political battle like the FISA-FOCA war of the early 1980s? Bad idea, it will harm the sport more than Mosley staying on as FIA president.

Not saying it is a good idea, but I think it is highly likely that we are heading that way. Mosley was quite insistent that him staying would prevent it, but him staying will achieve just the opposite IMO.

Source

My initial reaction: 'lolwut?'

tbh there's no reason to fire him, what he gets up to in his private life is his business, no one elses and he hasn't done anything illegal so he should stay.

as for the german/american bodies wanting to move away, that is just pathetic, if you want to be part of a democratic vote you have to accept the outcome not leave it if you don't get what you want

tbh there's no reason to fire him, what he gets up to in his private life is his business, no one elses and he hasn't done anything illegal so he should stay.

as for the german/american bodies wanting to move away, that is just pathetic, if you want to be part of a democratic vote you have to accept the outcome not leave it if you don't get what you want

Actually there is reason. The vote was a vote as to whether he is fit to perform his job as president of the FIA or not. The answer is no, as already proved by the fact that few heads of state want to meet him, or even have him in their country.

I'm stupefied, to be honest. I can understand about protecting your private life. Unfortunately, what he did in his private life is beyond bizarre. How can anyone have faith in him and his work when he does something like that? Especially when some of the F1 races are held in countries such as Bahrain, Malaysia, Singapore, Turkey and China, with India suppose to come next.

Scirwode

Actually there is reason. The vote was a vote as to whether he is fit to perform his job as president of the FIA or not. The answer is no, as already proved by the fact that few heads of state want to meet him, or even have him in their country.

if i ran a company / organisation where peoples personal opinions of another affected the working / proffessional relationship with them, they'd be out the door (the people refusing to work).

I'm stupefied, to be honest. I can understand about protecting your private life. Unfortunately, what he did in his private life is beyond bizarre. How can anyone have faith in him and his work when he does something like that? Especially when some of the F1 races are held in countries such as Bahrain, Malaysia, Singapore, Turkey and China, with India suppose to come next.

Scirwode

how does his sexual preferences have any effect on his work? if what came out was a one off you may have a point, if he had been doing what came out for months/years then why should his ability to do his job suddenly change?

if i ran a company / organisation where peoples personal opinions of another affected the working / proffessional relationship with them, they'd be out the door (the people refusing to work).

how does his sexual preferences have any effect on his work? if what came out was a one off you may have a point, if he had been doing what came out for months/years then why should his ability to do his job suddenly change?

He isn't running a company, nor are any employees refusing to work. His job isn't just to administer the organisation, but to represent it and it's members.

He is supposed to meet with Royalty, Presidents, Head of Organisations under FIA, Team bosses, CEOs of sponsorship providers, etc on a regular basis. It is at least half of his job as President. Yet since this came out, none of them have wanted to meet him. He was told not to visit Bahrain at all, the Deputy had to step in for all the formal engagements of Monaco and the team bosses are doing their best to avoid him.

Not much point in him being President if the Deputy is having to do half his job for him.

I suspect after practice tomorrow (itv-f1.com has live video of it for the uk 3pm and 7pm) there may be a car park with a few damaged f1 cars.

McLaren or Ferrari this weekend? I think McLaren will be quick, but the Ferrari's speed will aid them massively on that back straight.

I suspect after practice tomorrow (itv-f1.com has live video of it for the uk 3pm and 7pm) there may be a car park with a few damaged f1 cars.

McLaren or Ferrari this weekend? I think McLaren will be quick, but the Ferrari's speed will aid them massively on that back straight.

Well, I'll go for Ferrari. ;) But the McLaren's and the BMW's should be right there too, hopefully not too many wrecked cars.