Not enough space on Blu-ray for MGS4

I'll believe when I see it... and I doubt I will. Can anyone point to a game that even nears 50GB or even 20GB? This was released to get headlines and it has.

Way to rip a new ahole in a respected developer/guy and a genius in the gaming industry.... but I forgot the gamers know more than the developers when they want to.

great quote, but regardless i see this as a step in the right direction. if one developer can make use of such a huge ammount of space, whichever console it's on, good for them. games should be limited to the consoles themselves, not to the discs they're supposed to fit onto. i have no problems with huge games (blue dragon, lost oddyssey) and would like to see more games that take up more space.....HDTV gaming is awesome.

I find this to be a load of ****, personally. There's no excuse for a game to be using up so much space. Kojima seems to be the only guy on the planet having problems with space, and most of the other devs are using 9GB discs.

I would also like to point out that this story was posted in the MGS4 thread.

-Spenser

That's the same thing to say that HD movies shouldn't be 25GB compared to standard DVD at 4.7GB.

It's in HD what do you expect, compressed images/video making quality not as great. Hmmm..

I'll believe when I see it... and I doubt I will. Can anyone point to a game that even nears 50GB or even 20GB? This was released to get headlines and it has.

blue dragon

lost oddyssey

It's in HD what do you expect, compressed images/video making quality not as great. Hmmm..

Except for games the compression methods available have no quality loss whatsoever, so it's quite pointless to not use compression.

blue dragon

lost oddyssey

... would be valid games if we were talking about another RPG that gave 40+ hours of game time... But MGS never has given that much time and I haven't heard anything about MGS4 that would suggest it will be any different.

... would be valid games if we were talking about another RPG that gave 40+ hours of game time... But MGS never has given that much time and I haven't heard anything about MGS4 that would suggest it will be any different.

you're 100% correct, but when talking about mgs4 we're talking about the game that will challenge everything out there in terms of visuals and gameplay, a game that has been in the making for years....

now, whether it's 2 blu-ray disks, or an x ammount of dvd9's, gameplay shouldn't be limited to space available.

And I'm not saying it should. I don't have a problem with it taking so much space.

All I'm saying, and I think this is what the others in the thread are saying, is that it's very hard to believe the game could reach such sizes by normal means. I personally believe they're just not using compression, or not as much as they can.

But hey, we'll see when it comes out. I know that if I have a PS3 by then I'll certainly be picking it up.

the game that will challenge everything out there in terms of visuals and gameplay, a game that has been in the making for years....

Yes, but it isn't visuals or gameplay that take up storage space - that would be textures, videos and audio... all things that can be compressed with minimal-to-no loss in quality. Anyway, I don't want my comments to come across as bashing - if the developers feel that adding more video, duplicating data or using less compression is worthwhile then great for them. My main comment was that I find it doubtful that we're at a stage where 50GB is not enough to hold games, at leaast not games that are properly handled by top developers. Personally I was surprised that Oblivion had as much content as it did on a single DVD, though it didn't have large amounts of FMV like the Final Fantasy series - having said that most cutscenes are rendered in game now that graphics are capable enough.

Is not really as much about the size of the disk but it's more about the read speed of the BluRay disk drive on the PS3. You can have a 100GB Disk but if it takes half an hour to load a scene, noone will play it.

One of the shortcomings of the PS3's BluRay drives it's its read speed, that is way DMC had to preinstall so it can keep the loading times lower. I can see Sony coming with a new revision in a year or two.... When game developers really need the space.

That is why I did never see the real point of bashing the 360 console for not having an internal BlueRay or HD-DVD drive. MS can always get an external drive with much better read speed in the future when the demand increases, technology improves and price of production goes down.

That raises many other issues, like winning the format war.. but lets not go there....

50GB for a game :blink: He might be a great developer (never played any of his games) but talking crap like this will make him lose credibility pretty soon (ala Kutaragi). Haven't these guys heard of procedural geometry ? isn't their engine capable of rendering cutscenes on the fly?

I always disliked FMVs in games because they break the flow. well whatever. I am not playing this game anyway.

I don't find this all that hard to believe. Lost Odyssey is 4 DVD's. I could easily see MGS4 filling a Blu-Ray, with all the HD cutscenes it will have.

How on earth do you run out of space on a 50GB disk?

Regarding cutscenes, I remember a video a while ago where they said all the cutscenes would be rendered in-game (as well as people on monitors and such).

guys and gals I wouldnt panic.I think its being made into a story for hype and say just wait till june 12 when its release what will happen my guess is it be on multiple disc.

Everyone calling bs on this. They could size it down by using compression but they would rather not.

Hope they have a really good reason not to use compression then.

Everyone calling bs on this. They could size it down by using compression but they would rather not.

they probably could, but how do we know they aren't? Has that been confirmed?

Uh, we're not denying that. That's actually what I said.

But if they aren't using compression, then his statement is a blatant lie because the game could fit on a 50GB disk easily - they're just using up as much space as they can because it's there, and then saying it doesn't fit.

And stevan, if the videos are anything to go by, it's not going to do much challenging in the visuals field. It's going to look great, but not greater than what other games can do or have done in a lot less space.

-Spenser

Uh, we're not denying that. That's actually what I said.

But if they aren't using compression, then his statement is a blatant lie because the game could fit on a 50GB disk easily - they're just using up as much space as they can because it's there, and then saying it doesn't fit.

And stevan, if the videos are anything to go by, it's not going to do much challenging in the visuals field. It's going to look great, but not greater than what other games can do or have done in a lot less space.

-Spenser

I never said greater, just challeging what is out there already.....but this is also a debatable statement. I personaly thought the game looked amazing, others don't, it's simple as that.

There?s not enough space. We always talked abouwhere to cut and what to compressb>.?

The Metal Gear franchise has always been known for bedialogue-heavy, but MGS4 is setoutdo its predecessors.

but I forgot the gamers know more than the developers when they want to.

Sense, in neowin. How you dare?! :p

To keep sound and video quality at it's best...

The thing with sound compression, is that it gets rid of things humans can't hear first, so by not compressing it all you're doing to keeping data nobody can hear on disk.

Even high bitrate MPEG4 will be much, much smaller than uncompressed audio, and sound the same to 99.99% of anybody you play it to (the 0.01% will be professional sound engineers with very high quality headphones)

I can only see the xbox360 version now... During online gameplay, and about to shoot someone with a sniper riffle, you get "Insert disc 4 now"

I can only see the xbox360 version now... During online gameplay, and about to shoot someone with a sniper riffle, you get "Insert disc 4 now"

That would've been funny, Actually it would have asked for disk 6 or disk 7 since the first 5 would be for the single player.