• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

WWDC '08

Jordan Green    2

P!P people have been wanting that for long, yet apple has just not supplied :( It would be very nice though!

New Cinema Displays would be nice with built in iSight, cpu update on iMac.

iPhone 2.0 software release?

PyX    140

The iMac needs much more than just a new CPU now. There's a lot of things they could change to make it better IMO. (more FSB on the memory, more HD, a chipset that supports 8GB of memory if it's even possible, a better CPU, a video card that is in the new line of either nVidia or ATI, work on the design a little more to re-add a magnet for the remote control, re-add the sleep light, a better webcam, etc.)

I just don't think WWDC is the place to introduce a new iMac or Mac Mini (???)

There's a lot of rumors also pointing out that they would release a 3G iPhone (maybe with 32GB of memory) along with OS X Mobile 2.0 along with the new App store in iTunes.

Chicane-UK    674

I'm going to be in the market for an iMac soon and to be honest the current specs will do me fine but don't want to do the classic thing of buying one, then they get updated a week later!

richardsim7    115

Don't buy an iMac yet, they're 8 months old! Trust me, wait, it'll be worth it, that's what I'm doing ;)

-Rich-

The_Decryptor    1,105
What does that mean? iPhone OS 2.0? iPhone 2.0? Apps Store online? A new Mac Pro? 10.5.3 as Vegetunks pointed out? iPhone released in more countries? An update to fix the bugs reported in the iPhone SDK by the developers?

Final release of the iPhone/iTouch SDK and v2 OS update, they don't normally announce bug fixes for beta things at developer conferences.

just something that came to my mind:

osx for non-apple hardware, like... building bridges to once unreachable landmarks like yeah, having osx on non-apple hardware.. ;)

i personally would not love that and it would be pretty stupid from apple and we had this discussion over and over again but yeah, we have bootcamp already and safari for windows and all... i dont know...

the good thing is, we all dont know until wwdc 08. =)

Steve Jobs isn't that stupid.

DrewJW    9

Three month till I buy my I-Mac :D so will be interesting to see what turns up :D

Quillz    1,011

Apple is a hardware company, not a software company. Mac OS X (and iPhone OS) are nothing more than "incentives" for buying Apple hardware. If the iMac came with Windows instead of Mac OS X, no one would buy it because they could get the same Windows-capable hardware much cheaper from Dell. Mac OS X will never be available outside of Apple.

Cara    0
Apple is a hardware company, not a software company.

No matter how many times this is said, people do not understand it. :p

Mathachew    149

That's because they are both a hardware and software company. All of this software can hardly be considered side projects that are minor perks to buying an Apple product. I don't know why people act negatively with the thought that Apple isn't just a hardware company; it's not like it's a bad thing.

Cara    0
That's because they are both a hardware and software company. All of this software are hardly side projects that are minor perks to buying an Apple product. I don't know why people act negatively with the thought that Apple isn't just a hardware company; it's not like it's a bad thing.

Mathachew, believe me when I say that Apple is a HARDWARE company, the revenue we receive as a company is over 80% hardware sales and that makes Apple a Hardware company with some of the best complimenting software in the world.

Without the iPod, iPhone, and Mac lines, Apple would have gone out of business years ago.

There is no two ways about it, Apple is a HARDWARE company, if you want to say with good software you're right, but still Hardware None the Less.

Mathachew    149

Nope, hardware and software. If they only cared about hardware, there would be no point in developing software. You can kick and scream hardware all you want, but at the end of the day, they make both, and so they are both. Microsoft is no different, they're hardware and software, even though they make more on software than hardware (I'm speculating on this, though I'm sure it's a correct assumption).

Cara    0
Nope, hardware and software. If they only cared about hardware, there would be no point in developing software. You can kick and scream hardware all you want, but at the end of the day, they make both, and so they are both. :)

And you can misspeak all you'd like, however at the end of the day Apple, Inc. is a OEM Hardware Vendor. :)

Nothing that you can say will change that, it is how Apple views itself, how the staff views the company, how Steve Jobs himself views the company, and also how the market views the company. :)

Lasker    0
If Microsoft is no different, they're hardware and software, even though they make more on software than hardware (I'm speculating on this, though I'm sure it's a correct assumption).

I rarely see Microsoft as a hardware company, the only thing I saw that they make as hardware is mouses, keyboard, the xbox too, and some games controlles and that's it. Microsoft is more a software company.

Mathachew    149

There's absolutely no misspeaking on my part whatsoever. What did Apple push last November? What did they hype for a good year, if not longer? Software. Saying they're not a software company is like saying MS is not a hardware company when MS makes hardware products, like this Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 that I'm typing on now, regardless of what their primary focus is. What good is Apple hardware without software? Enter Apple's software division, focus, emphasis, advertising, selling, and all that stuff. The hardware is useless without the software, so why treat this as this such a bad thing? They produce more hardware than software, but that doesn't negate the fact that they also make, and are, a software company. Maybe I'll have better luck convincing my glass of water that it's really sweet tea. :)

Cormier6083    0

New Cinema Displays?

Cara    0
There's absolutely no misspeaking on my part whatsoever. What did Apple push last November? What did they hype for a good year, if not longer? Software. Saying they're not a software company is like saying MS is not a hardware company when MS makes hardware products, like this Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 that I'm typing on now, regardless of what their primary focus is. What good is Apple hardware without software? Enter Apple's software division, focus, emphasis, advertising, selling, and all that stuff. The hardware is useless without the software, so why treat this as this such a bad thing? They produce more hardware than software, but that doesn't negate the fact that they also make, and are, a software company. Maybe I'll have better luck convincing my glass of water that it's really sweet tea. :)

Not trying to convince you of anything, simply stating a fact. :)

Apple's software team is a supporting aspect of the Apple Hardware Team.

I'll say it one more time then I'm done attempting to explain it here, the fact is Apple is a Hardware Company with a great Software Product, not a Hardware/Software company.

Just to support it, a quick Google Revealed the 2006 PC Magazine Company Awards...

Hardware Company of the Year

With a huge RD budget and a single-minded despot running the show, Apple once again introduced products that made everyone else look bad. iPods (#36) that play video have created a new market for reruns, Core Duo-based Macs (#35) have expanded the market for Intel chips, and Boot Camp software (#10) has opened the door to running Windows on the Mac hardware. We continue to hope that some of the Cupertino crowd's design ideas will trickle down to the rest of the tech industry.

+StevoFC    21

Considering she works for Apple I would believe what Cara says. I think she knows a little more about it than you do.

Mathachew    149

Whether today was the very first time I ever heard of Apple, or if I had started the company myself, they make, sell and push hardware and software. Apple and its employees can say till their blue in the face that they're only a hardware company, but they push and sell both and wouldn't do much good without either. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Hurmoth    518
No matter how many times this is said, people do not understand it. :p

Funny because Steve Jobs himself stated at the D5 Conference last year that Apple is a software company. (5/30/2007 - Audio; 5/31/2007 - Video)

Lasker    0
Funny because Steve Jobs himself stated at the D5 Conference last year that Apple is a software company. (5/30/2007 - Audio; 5/31/2007 - Video)

He was joking probably, if it no then what is the ipod? a software product? give me a ****ing break.

Hurmoth    518
He was joking probably, if it no then what is the ipod? a software product? give me a ****ing break.

He wasn't joking. Watch the video, it can be found on iTunes/or the audio. He clearly wasn't joking.

Microsoft makes the Zune, does that make them a hardware company too? Or a software company that has a hardware division?

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore...st?id=256972720 <--D5 Conference Podcast

Cara    0

I was pretty sure in an interview that followed that he said that he misspoke and that Apple was a Hardware Company with good software. I'll look around for that link. :)

Hurmoth    518

^ Thanks :)

I'll certainly make note of that if he did correct himself, but even still, Apple's software is top notch. When I think Apple, I don't think Apple vs Dell, I think Apple vs Microsoft. Two software giants, both of which make hardware, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're hardware companies. That's my view on it and that's what I took from Steve Jobs when he made that comment at the D5 Conference.

Cara    0
^ Thanks :)

I'll certainly make note of that if he did correct himself, but even still, Apple's software is top notch. When I think Apple, I don't think Apple vs Dell, I think Apple vs Microsoft. Two software giants, both of which make hardware, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're hardware companies. That's my view on it and that's what I took from Steve Jobs when he made that comment at the D5 Conference.

Steve is well known to get caught up when doing his Keynotes and start going so far off script it gives his engineers heart attacks. ;)

I know I just got an email about the entire 'Clone' market possibilities and how it would hurt Apple from the Hardware Company aspect so I think that it is still seen that Apple is a Hardware company. I'll look around for that quote, have a teleconference meeting here in a few minutes so...

oldaccount1    3

Okay I agree with Cara here but Matt's point isn't that apple is 50% hardware and 50% hardware; it's definitely focused on hardware. But Matt, what Cara is saying is that that primary focus defines the company as a hardware producer. Would you say Nokia and Motorola are also software companies? Although they write (and commission to write) most of the software seen on many of their mobile phones, they are still, at heart, hardware companies. I think Apple is similar: a hardware company that ALSO produces software.