• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

WWDC '08

Mr. Dee    26
Well, annoying personal attacks not withstanding I did want to post my findings on the Hardware / Software question.

It appears I was wrong, I sent a letter to the man himself (Which doubt if you want but here it is) and was informed that Apple is indeed either a Software or Technology company, depending on how you look at it.

Here is the chain, enjoy it if you'd like, those in tin-foil hats can insult it if they'd like, but I'd ask you please do it in private to me as not to take the thread further off-topic.

Oh, just for the record I got this on Tuesday I just hadn't thought about posting it until I was cleaning out my email tonight. Headers, email, and phone numbers, and compromising data removed for privacy of course.

I hate being wrong. heh.

Steve is really a nice guy. I sent him an email the other day asking for a free MacBook Air. He responded...politely:

"Sorry, but no"

Steve

Sent from my iPhone.

BoJo    0
Steve is really a nice guy. I sent him an email the other day asking for a free MacBook Air. He responded...politely:

"Sorry, but no"

Steve

Sent from my iPhone.

^:rofl:

thefarewellnote    3
He's just Human, I always heard he would but that it just takes time. :) Guess I know now.

I am just impressed that someone in that position would respond to a "low-level Apple employee" (j/k Cara LOL). You think Bill Gates or even a CEO in a smaller company would? I have a hell of a time having our CEO respond to my emails and there are only like 30 employees.

Mathachew    149

"Sorry, but no"

Steve

Sent from my iPhone.

:laugh: That made me laugh so hard

Blaine    2

Damn. I want Steve to adopt me :/

Maybe he'll offer eternal life again on the iPhone 2.

It was originally going to be on the iPhone 1, but the audience didn't let him get to it :(

sundayx    127

1 Week left.

LTD    0

That little correspondence between Steve and Cara is simple another facet of "The Apple Experience."

Kudos to Steve. Apple is a model organization.

Chicane-UK    674

It's an excellent reply and what you'd want from your boss. The answer to your question, and encouragement in the form of the comment about the question being thought provoking..

Denis W.    731

Still offtopic: Good response. I'd say age has done him well to make him less of a jerk he (well, according to these history books) was in the eighties.

On topic: Anyone know if the iPod Touch will also see an update alongside the new iPhone? If there is, just OS wise or will there be a hardware revision?

Lasker    0
Damn. I want Steve to adopt me :/

I can't imagine Steve Jobs been my adoptive father or even my father :laugh: Gosh, I will probably have a new computer in every update or all Apple products available for free :woot:

KeR    82

I am hoping for some news about Cinema Displays, but then again I have been hoping for an update for over a year now.

giga    45

+1 on the Cinema Displays.

Quillz    1,011
I can't imagine Steve Jobs been my adoptive father or even my father :laugh: Gosh, I will probably have a new computer in every update or all Apple products available for free :woot:

I don't think even the CEO would get products for free. Discounted, yes, but at the end of the day, he'd still be a customer for his own products.

Hurmoth    518
+1 on the Cinema Displays.

I'd like to see some new displays come out as well. They haven't been updated in it seems forever! :|

saxondale.    15
Mac OS X 10.6 to Debut at WWDC 2008? Ship in January 2009?

TUAW reports that they have heard that Apple will be seeding developers with an early build of Mac OS X 10.6 at this year's WWDC. This news comes in the midst of reports that Apple is preparing for 10.5.4 -- an ongoing maintenance release of Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard).

TUAW also believes that Mac OS X 10.6 will ship in January 2009, about 15 months after Leopard's initial release in October 2007. This actually corresponds to Steve Jobs' comments to the New York Times regarding major Mac OS X releases:

?I?m quite pleased with the pace of new operating systems every 12 to 18 months for the foreseeable future,? he said. ?We?ve put out major releases on the average of one a year, and it?s given us the ability to polish and polish and improve and improve.?

The blog also revives rumors that Mac OS X 10.6 will drop PowerPC support and become Intel-only.

While we can't vouch for the January timeframe, MacRumors had also heard that Mac OS X 10.6 would be making a debut at WWDC. We were uncertain, however, how public a release it would be: whether it would be seeded to a limited number of developers or if it would be a more central focus in Jobs' keynote address. According to the report, however, Apple will not be introducing any new significant features in 10.6, instead focusing on "stability and security."

References to Mac OS X 10.6 were recently found within the iPhone SDK installer. Mac OS X 10.5.3 (Leopard) is the current public version of Mac OS X.

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/06/03/mac-os...t-at-wwdc-2008/

Cara    0

Well, I can't say for certain but that timetable seems bad. There is no seeding of 10.6 going on at all and if there was going to be any developers preview at WWDC I'd think we'd have an Internal Seed by now.

NeoXY    7

ACD...

....PLEASE! We've been asking for those for....YEARS....PLEASE!!! NEW ACD!

saxondale.    15

I highly doubt it too

PyX    140

Yeah I read about that OS 10.6 thing. I don't really believe it, well especially that January 2009 thing. If I remember well, Leopard had a beta and the year after another beta and 6 months after it was released. If the same thing happens with 10.6, then OK I am ready to accept that they pull out a beta next week.

Now, Steve Jobs doesn't usually have THAT many things in a keynote. Now, people are talking about new laptop lines, OS 10.6, iPhone stuff, new displays, .Mac service upgrade, maybe also updates on Mac Pros, etc.

First I think we could eliminate the point about the laptop lines, because well... in another thread I figured there would be an update on that Sept. 16 and I'm pretty sure about myself. Also, it doesn't really have anything to do about developpers.

Now, about the cinema displays, they haven't been updated in decades and I think at this point, they can wait for LED stuff to be massively produced, or he could just lower the price again. :(

So basically, we're pretty sure he will talk about iPhone & iPod stuff for like an hour and a half maybe, and a little bit about .mac. As for the rest, I'm unsure :-\

giga    45

Latest WebKits have a 10.6 alias. ;) (they point to the 10.5 folder though atm)

Picture%201.png

Of course it could be Dave Hyatt just ****ing with us.

Cara    0
Latest WebKits have a 10.6 alias. ;) (they point to the 10.5 folder though atm)

Picture%201.png

Of course it could be Dave Hyatt just ****ing with us.

Preparation for the future, they know 10.6 is going to be needed at some point and what else would feed the rumor mill. It is almost as good as the 10.6 reference that was in 10.5.3's previous seed, wouldn't THAT have started the rumor mill had that made it into public light.

PyX    140

Hmmm, why an alias though, if the rest are folders?

osirisX    2

10.6 isn't even going to be mentioned at WWDC this year. That wont come until next year. All the references to 10.6 are just future-proofing. As to 10.6 just being security and stability, that's a load of bull. Could you imaging Steve getting up on stage and saying:

"Welcome to WWDC '08. I'd like to start off by announcing 10.6. It wont be available until 2010 and the only features it will have are security and stability! BOOM! Now I'm going to give you a demo. Here is a screenshot of Leopard, now picture AirPort and Back to My Mac actually working. Please give me $129, I need new shoes."

Lasker    0
"Welcome to WWDC '08. I'd like to start off by announcing 10.6. It wont be available until 2010 and the only features it will have are security and stability! BOOM! Now I'm going to give you a demo. Here is a screenshot of Leopard, now picture AirPort and Back to My Mac actually working. Please give me $129, I need new shoes."

lol Steve Jobs most of the time surprise me with unexpected surprises :laugh:

Cadium    1

I can't see Mac OS X 10.6 being announced at this years WWDC conference as it seems too soon. Next year, however, things will come out of the woodwork.

Hopefully, there will be a refresh of the Apple Cinema Displays, maybe with a resolution increase or different sized models.