• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

WWDC '08

PyX    140

A higher resolution at this point would definately require Resolution Independance, otherwise it's just too small.

Also, any word on ZFS coming to Leopard soon?

Cadium    1
A higher resolution at this point would definately require Resolution Independance, otherwise it's just too small.

Also, any word on ZFS coming to Leopard soon?

1920x1200 on a 20" monitor wouldn't look too[/b] bad.

PyX    140

I don't know. I have to zoom quite often on my 24-inch.Ok, I still can read everything if I don't zoom in, but it's really the highest resolution I would put on that display.

Chad    0

Keep in mind that Leopard was 3/4 to 1 year late, based upon their original release schedule (late 2006-early 2007).

Tiger was released in April 2005. Leopard was then announced 2 months later in June at WWDC 2005. It's already been 7 months since the Leopard release, so at least an announcement of 10.6 is logical. We didn't see much about Leopard until WWDC of 2006, so I don't think we'll get much more. However if Apple intends to stick with their quoted 18-month cycle, a preview certainly isn't out of the realm of possibility. I doubt we'll see another 30-month stretch with no updates like we did between Tiger and Leopard.

Hurmoth    518
Just saw that as well. It certainly gives credence to TUAW's initial report.

No it doesn't, didn't you read those posts from other members here? They definitively stated no 10.6 announcement at WWDC. They can't be wrong :rolleyes:

I'm stoked to see what Jobs has to offer in the next version of OS X.

Chad    0
No it doesn't, didn't you read those posts from other members here? They definitively stated no 10.6 announcement at WWDC. They can't be wrong :rolleyes:

Indeed! Biting my tongue ;)

I'm stoked to see what Jobs has to offer in the next version of OS X.

I am as well. The Ars story is hard to believe, but far from unbelievable.

Edited by Chad

LunarFalcon    0

Maybe I've missed it, but I haven't seen a lot of discussion here on changes to the .mac service that may be announced next week. Personally I'm very interested to see how this service may expand, but I don't care for the rumored name change.

http://www.tuaw.com/2008/06/03/inside-mac-and-me/

Anyone have any thoughts or insights?

osirisX    2

Back of the 10.6 box will have these bullet points:

More security!

You know how we told you Mac OS X is the most secure thing around? Well, we were wrong. So we are adding even more security measures.

Stability!

We actually make things work. AirPort will stay connected for more than 5 seconds and Back to My Mac will actually connect. You will totally love how Safari wont crash anymore.

Cocoalicious!

You don't have a clue what Cocoa is, but all of our apps are now built using Cocoa. Yes, even iTunes. Cocoa, making our apps tasty, just like chocolate.

Screw you PowerPC owners!

We have no good reason to cut PPC support, but we are going to anyways.

64-Bit Only!

It makes it go faster! VROOM VROOM!*

It's just like the System Updates you've come to know and love!

We feel letting users download system updates was unfair since they didn't get a shiny box. So we are now giving you system updates for the price of OS updates. If you love us, you WILL buy system updates masked as OS updates.

*64-Bit generally wont make your computer any faster, but you're too much of a sucker to realise that.

liveseven    0

iTunes 8, removal of 8GB touch and price cuts on the 16 and 32GB versons. new iphone info. new mac laptops....

.Kompressor    8

Any new redesigned Macbook Pro's yet ?? with Nehalem and Montevina ? lol

osirisX    2

Oh and no Carbon means breaking the big apps: Photoshop (and probably the rest of the Creative Suite), Microsoft Office and Final Cut Pro (and probably other apps in Final Cut Studio).

.Kompressor    8

I don't really care about the .mac name change to .me either.

I think it's a mistake on their marketing tactics.

me reminds me of exactly that..windows Me lol crapware.

obviously they are about to kick off some type of Marketing campaign that goes with the new name.....probably a new product or something.

giga    45
Oh and no Carbon means breaking the big apps: Photoshop (and probably the rest of the Creative Suite), Microsoft Office and Final Cut Pro (and probably other apps in Final Cut Studio).

Who said they were cutting Carbon?

Cara    0

Ok, I might have misspoke earlier, a broadcast went out to managers today about the circulation of 10.6 rumors at WWDC, what that tells me is there is more truth than fiction to the rumors as normally they are simply ignored. The last 'Rumor' that was addressed in this way was the MacBook Air and we all know how that turned out.

sundayx    127

Snow Leopard... :rolleyes: :hmmm: :( :huh: :D

osirisX    2
Who said they were cutting Carbon?

Well when one website you go to says one thing and then another website that you don't go to says the opposite, you tend to follow what the website that you go to is saying.

giga    45

You don't visit daring fireball? And you call yourself an Apple user?

Cormier6083    0

OMG WWDC is like next week no wai!

osirisX    2
You don't visit daring fireball? And you call yourself an Apple user?

I don't have a shrine devoted to Steve Jobs either. Should I throw my iMac out the window? ;)

Chad    0
Ok, I might have misspoke earlier, a broadcast went out to managers today about the circulation of 10.6 rumors at WWDC, what that tells me is there is more truth than fiction to the rumors as normally they are simply ignored. The last 'Rumor' that was addressed in this way was the MacBook Air and we all know how that turned out.

:rolleyes:

Well when one website you go to says one thing and then another website that you don't go to says the opposite, you tend to follow what the website that you go to is saying.

What site said 10.6 would drop support for Carbon? I didn't read anything like that at TUAW, Ars, or MacRumors.

osirisX    2
What site said 10.6 would drop support for Carbon? I didn't read anything like that at TUAW, Ars, or MacRumors.

MacRumours (relaying from Ars) said it may be Cocoa-Only, but the full meaning of that remains vague. You can interpret that as no Carbon, no Carbon UI, whatever you want. I only stated dropping Carbon would mean the big apps would be screwed.

Steve    2

I personally doubt it's entirely true, I am not sure even Steve is capable of asking for ?85 for those few changes. I'd love a new release of Mac OS X, but I wouldn't pay ?85 for security and stability 'fixes' when I feel both secure and stable already.

I would love to see Office and Creative Suite applications working in Cocoa though. I've found it hard to explain the UI 'feel' that is different between the two, but I most certainly feel it. Would anyone be able to put into words the difference you notice between Carbon and Cocoa in terms of UI?

Menge    33

for some weird reason with all this Cocoa talk and Snow Leopard, i can't help but think that someone is snotting something (get it? get it?) :p