• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

WWDC '08

The_Decryptor    1,105
Oh and no Carbon means breaking the big apps: Photoshop (and probably the rest of the Creative Suite), Microsoft Office and Final Cut Pro (and probably other apps in Final Cut Studio).

And don't forget Cocoa.

Cocoa uses Carbon (Cocoa is high level, Carbon is low level, some of the features in Cocoa exist only because they exist in Carbon)

And I can't see a reason to drop PPC support (considering Leopard still supports fairly old PPC systems, and supporting PPC isn't that much extra work)

Chad    0
And don't forget Cocoa.

Cocoa uses Carbon (Cocoa is high level, Carbon is low level, some of the features in Cocoa exist only because they exist in Carbon)

Yeah, iirc, the print menu and menu bar are both Carbon. These examples are probably why Apple would want to move OS X over to Cocoa.

And I can't see a reason to drop PPC support (considering Leopard still supports fairly old PPC systems, and supporting PPC isn't that much extra work)

The rumor seems to be centered upon getting rid of the old code/APIs within the OS.

giga    46

I, for one, welcome our new Cocoa overlords.

Windam    0

Snow Leopard

It reminds me of that time Puma went to Cheetah.

They want to get to XI sooner than we thought.

Cormier6083    0

Vista is to Windows 7 what Leopard is to Snow Leopard, I suppose.

:/

PyX    140

How the hell did the journalists come up with this Snow Leopard thing?

I won't believe this until I see it. Normally, there are explanations to how they found out, etc. on every rumour. Not this one. Oh, probably because they state it as a fact rather than a rumour.

Hurmoth    518
Vista is to Windows 7 what Leopard is to Snow Leopard, I suppose.

:/

Completely disagree. I had one issue with Leopard when it first came out and it was fix quickly with a firmware update. Since this I haven't had a single issue. Vista, on the other hand, has been a nightmare :|

LunarFalcon    0

^same here. No significant problems with Leopard (thankfully) but I had a lot of headaches with vista on my pc

Windam    0
^same here. No significant problems with Leopard (thankfully) but I had a lot of headaches with vista on my pc

you can always OSx86 your PC [sarcasm]

PyX    140

I think he didn't really include in his statement that Vista caused a whole lot more trouble than Leopard did. The goal was just to say that Windows 7 will fix the errors Vista had and will add security and stability, while Snow Leopard (if it's not a damn joke) will do pretty much the same thing.

Windam    0
I think he didn't really include in his statement that Vista caused a whole lot more trouble than Leopard did. The goal was just to say that Windows 7 will fix the errors Vista had and will add security and stability, while Snow Leopard (if it's not a damn joke) will do pretty much the same thing.

Eh you're right

People have different circumstances when using their machine there's always something we don't know and that changes the experience for end users.

liveseven    0

they still havnt gotten through all the cats. Next is Domestic (or house) cat then go in to more detel like "persisan" lynix etc

NeoXY    7

The biggest one, Lion still haven't been used yet.

Anyways, these snow leopard report looks more or less solid? God damn can't wait till WWDC next week. I'm just....(for a lack of better term) bursting :p

PyX    140
they still havnt gotten through all the cats. Next is Domestic (or house) cat then go in to more detel like "persisan" lynix etc

You didn't get the point at all.

If this Snow Leopard thing is not a joke (sorry, I am always skeptical about this thing), it contains the word Leopard, along with the word Snow.

The word Leopard meaning all the changes we've seen with Leopard and the word Snow meaning "some security features, some speed improvements..."

Apple won't release 10.7, 10.8, 10.9, 10.10, 10.11, 10.12 and so on with these stupid names with two words, this one is just to make us understand that there isn't that much change.

Quillz    1,011
You didn't get the point at all.

If this Snow Leopard thing is not a joke (sorry, I am always skeptical about this thing), it contains the word Leopard, along with the word Snow.

The word Leopard meaning all the changes we've seen with Leopard and the word Snow meaning "some security features, some speed improvements..."

Apple won't release 10.7, 10.8, 10.9, 10.10, 10.11, 10.12 and so on with these stupid names with two words, this one is just to make us understand that there isn't that much change.

If there isn't that much change, then it's stupid to have it be 10.6 at all. Mac OS X has had a consistent version scheme where 10.x releases denote new, major releases. If the rumored 10.6 is nothing more than security and stability improvements, then just continue to release them as 10.5.x builds.

iwod    12

I dont see the problem with 10.6 / Snow Leopard. 10.5 is like 10.0 Where there are loads of internal changes.

10.6 is like 10.1 where features and performance gets fine tuned.

So may be it goes something like this;

10.6 to be a free upgrade to those who brought 10.5.

There is one condition, and that is 10.6 will require Intel Processors.

They will continue to support both 10.5 and 10.6, only difference is that 10.6 will run much faster with all the Specific Intel Optimization.

Developers are pushed to use all the new technology in Leopard. Since everything will work on Snow Leopard as well.

Then may be another 18 Months Apple brings other innovation to their OS via 10.7 update; may be called Lion completing against M$ 's Windows 7.

tomwarren    68

I know you guys are excited about the OS but for me it's the iPhone apps, v2.0 and 3G iPhone that make WWDC for me. I am very interested in seeing what jobs is going to surprise the crowd with as we all know it has GPS and 3G so what else is in there that's gonna surprise everyone??

sundayx    127

Don't anticipate too much, you're just going to get a harder fall. For me the baseline is the iPhone revision, SDK, then if all goes well, Mac mini bumps, Cinema Displays... and some epic software announcement (it's a WWDC afterall).

The_Decryptor    1,105

You can already optimize for specific platforms/CPU's, even if you're compiling for multiple platforms.

Stripping PPC support won't make Intel faster, and if it does it'll only because they made optimizations they didn't make before.

crazzy88ss    66

I'm just hoping for new Macbooks damnit! I know they gotta be getting close!

PyX    140

Macbooks have nothing to do with WWDC (WorldWide DEVELOPERS Conference), because developers just don't care.

Also, with that free iPod touch promotion ending on a Monday (Sept. 15), I am very confident that we will see a brand new Macbook line on Sept. 16, which is a Tuesday.

As for that 10.6 thing, maybe it just can't be called a service pack update anymore if it includes too much change and too many men hours. Apparently 10.1 was 10.0 with loads of fixes and enhancements.

And stripping PPC will make it easier to focus on Intel, rather than having to develop for two different platforms. At this point, they would lose their time right now if they continued with PPC. I mean, look at Leopard, you can already develop crazy applications and everything and your computer is like 2 years old. In January 2009, it would be 3 years old, so obviously maybe you cannot run all the latest things that come out on the market, yet you can still develop crazy apps with XCode 3.0 and you have this thing called Core Animation already. Honestly, if I was a PPC user, I wouldn't ask for more.

To creamhackered : There has been so much talk about the iPhone on the rumour sites that I don't think anybody will be impressed. We know it will come out in a LOT of places around the world at once, they will discontinue iPhone 1, they will include 3G, GPS, the App Store in iTunes, a couple of fixes in their applications and some new features (a scientific calculator for example - conceived just for me!!! w00t! (I seriously whined about my iPod touch in the past because the calculator was useless to me)). Maybe they will add videoconference, a better camera, a 32GB model, etc. etc. There is so many rumours that I don't see how we can be surprised anymore. Maybe the design is the only thing... like, it could be even more flashier than the iPhone 1... ahh and maybe mobile operators will make it cost nearly nothing, because they are thieves and will manage to get their money back on your monthly payments.

Edited by PsykX

The_Decryptor    1,105

I'm a PPC user, and if Apple did drop support I'd like for it to be for a better reason that "Yeah, we just don't care about you anymore."

The same code (when written properly) will compile for both platforms, you can supply specific optimizations depending on the architecture, you don't need to drop PPC so that Intel can get optimizations.

giga    46

I don't think they'll drop PPC--G5s were still sold in 2006. The Cocoa bits are interesting though and should be something to look forward to.

Xero    15

^ Yea dropping support for the lower end ppc processors is fine with me but G5's are still pretty beefy so dropping support for them because you simply don't want to code for it anymore is a little dumb. I can see dropping support because they aren't powerful enough but anyone whose forked over the few thousand for a mac pro or powermac I think they were called is going to be ****ed if Apple cuts them off at 10.6. But at the same time you have to remember Steve's roadmap for the Intel transition. At the time everyone believed it to be hardware only but OS X is the last piece that needs to make the switch. Makes me wonder if iWork 09 or whenever they release the next version if it will be Intel only. Thats going to **** off people if the programs become intel only especially the pro apps. It would be nice as a developer to only code for one platform instead of both, let them focus more on performance as it will only be used with certain chips. Apples been setting up a new era of mac development with all their new hardware using a near identical software base, AppleTV, iPhone, Mac OS X. That being said its going to encourage developers to create applications for both systems as you are already familiar with how to write programs for each platform. Something Microsoft should have done better.