GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra (movie)

The movie grossed a whopping $56.2 million in the weekend box office. Pretty good for a movie that seems to be "mediocre" or "all action, no substance". I personally thought it was a decent summer flick. I didn't feel like I wasted my money.

...ice doesn't sink.

...ice floats in water.

it doesn't sink.

that doesn't make sense at all! :(

this movie was even worse than transformers 2. one of the most intellectually insulting movies i've ever seen.

a guy i work with (who likes and knows more about GI Joe than anyone i have even even heard of) went and saw it and said it was pretty good. But i still can't force myself to go see it. It just looks sooo bad.

they definitely failed with casting Marlon Waynes as Ripcord(who is suppose to be a white guy with red hair) lol

Sequel Time!

"G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra" earned a studio-estimated $100 million around the globe on its opening weekend, marking Paramount's third successful big-budget action movie of the summer, albeit the smallest one.

The film came in about $10 million under the opening weekend of "Star Trek," which earned $75.2 million domestically and about $35 million overseas. "G.I. Joe" did better internationally, where it grossed a studio-estimated $44 million, despite not yet launching in several key markets, including Germany and Italy. It underperformed "Trek" in the U.S. and Canada, where it opened to $56.2 million.

That's certainly good enough for Paramount to claim victory, however, and start thinking about the future. The studio's vice chairman, Rob Moore, confirmed that a sequel will soon go into development. The film's lead actors are contractually obligated to return for another film, though director Stephen Sommers is not.

There is reason to be concerned about whether "G.I. Joe" will fade quickly at the box office. The film experienced a sizable 18% drop in domestic ticket sales from Friday to Saturday, indicating audience word of mouth may not be great, despite a solid rating of B+ from opening-day moviegoers, according to market research firm CinemaScore. "Star Trek" saw its ticket sales increase from Friday to Saturday and went on to more than triple its opening-weekend gross.

Such a fate looks unlikely for "G.I. Joe," particularly with "District 9" opening Friday and expected to perform well with males, who made up more than 60% of the audience for Paramount's film. Moore said that Paramount will aim marketing more at families going forward as a result, hoping to persuade more parents to take older children to the PG-13 film. Families made up a significant one-third of moviegoers this weekend.

The movie grossed a whopping $56.2 million in the weekend box office. Pretty good for a movie that seems to be "mediocre" or "all action, no substance". I personally thought it was a decent summer flick. I didn't feel like I wasted my money.

That is because it appeals to the general public....

I saw the movie on Saturday, which was my biggest mistake. Over the weekend Manhattan gets crowded with people from Brooklyn, Jersey and Queens. Not trying to offend anyone that lives there but seriously the average IQ of this crowd was equal to a headless chicken...

They laughed to any stupid comment made by the actors, and they even applauded to the happy ending....

The sad truth is that Hollywood has always made movies that appeal to general population, and lets face it an average Joe would rather see a brainless cheesy flick with a happy ending than a well made movie with a plot that will make him think and re-analyse the movie even after he walks out of the theater....

...ice doesn't sink.

...ice floats in water.

it doesn't sink.

That would depend on what the ice was made from. Ice that is composed primarily of heavy water will in fact sink in water.

and they even applauded to the happy ending....

What happy ending? You mean the ending where Zartan took over the role of the US President?

Saw it today. It's hardly going to win any Oscars but I certainly enjoyed it - must appeal to my inner child with all the destruction and generally absurd gadgets. Better than the Transformers sequel by a long shot.

That's certainly good enough for Paramount to claim victory, however, and start thinking about the future. The studio's vice chairman, Rob Moore, confirmed that a sequel will soon go into development.

But they tied up all the loose ends so well, there's no way they could make a sequel! Wait... :p

GI Joe never had crisis suits. Ya ya, future whatever.

GI Joe didn't, but Cobra did: http://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/83/snake/ Considering the level of technology represented in 1983, I'd say that the Delta 6 accelerator suits are a more current version of the S.N.A.K.E battle armor.

"The two grew up together, were blood brothers and now are mortal enemies."

yeah cause that's sooooo original I am surprised someone came up with it. it will revolutionize the movie industry.

You never watched the cartoon or read the comics, did you? That is exactly the backstory for Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow.

What happy ending? You mean the ending where Zartan took over the role of the US President?

No, the one when they blow up the underwater base and they escape unhurt from the exploding tunnels.

No, the one when they blow up the underwater base and they escape unhurt from the exploding tunnels.

Well, to be fair, that is pretty consistant with the endings of most of the cartoons, so I still don't see what your problem with that would be.

Well, to be fair, that is pretty consistant with the endings of most of the cartoons, so I still don't see what your problem with that would be.

My problem wasn't as much the cheesy plot as the audience viewing the movie which cheered and applauded through each of the action scenes.... It made the viewing experience even that much worse...

My problem wasn't as much the cheesy plot as the audience viewing the movie which cheered and applauded through each of the action scenes.... It made the viewing experience even that much worse...

I don't think I've ever been to an action movie where that kind of thing DIDN'T happen.

I don't think I've ever been to an action movie where that kind of thing DIDN'T happen.

Well I've lived all over the US and I haven't seen so much cheering on a midnight show, anywhere. It usually happens on a day show when there are lot of kids in the audience.

I guess certain movies attract a certain kind of people.... go figure....

Well I've lived all over the US and I haven't seen so much cheering on a midnight show, anywhere. It usually happens on a day show when there are lot of kids in the audience.

I guess certain movies attract a certain kind of people.... go figure....

You must not have been to a midnight showing of Star Wars: Episode I!!

I'm going to see it tomorrow, don't have to pay for it as I've got a pass that I can use for any movie on Wed. or Thurs.

You must not have been to a midnight showing of Star Wars: Episode I!!

As I said certain movies attract certain kinds of people, and G.I.Joe is far away from having the same fan group as Star Wars....

Movie was just in general a cheesy flick with no plot, something that I guess you can rent and watch in your free time when you are really... really bored..., but not worth going to the theater for it...

and G.I.Joe is far away from having the same fan group as Star Wars....

Not really. People who are now in their mid to late 30's (like me) and even early 40's are likely to be fans of both, since they both originated during our childhood. Star Wars was released in 1977 while G.I. Joe (the small toys and cartoon, not the original 12" dolls) were released about 6 years later in 1983 (about the same time as Return of the Jedi).

Done exactly as promised in the trailer and was overall a very fun silly experience in the cinema with some friends. Comedy although a little cheesy got at least a few chuckles from me.

I can safely say it was at least 10x better then that steaming pile of **** known as Transformers Revenge of the Fallen :x