[Official] New Xbox Experience (or Fall 2008 Update)

Andrew Lyle
November 19th, it's been mentioned repeatedly for weeks now.

I haven't been keeping score.. I don't play my xbox very much.. been waiting for GoW2, and COD5

Browno

BTW keep your eye on MajorNelson.com, in the podcast he states that we may be able to get it early.

DirtyLarry
Psshhhh, says you!

The resemblance is uncanny!

ROFL That is great!!!

Yep, definitely one of the upsides to being a bald generic looking american irishmen with a goatee and / or beard.

It is incredibly easy to make myself!!

Green_Eye

don't see a denial :p

+Mystic
BTW keep your eye on MajorNelson.com, in the podcast he states that we may be able to get it early.

Crap I keep forgetting about that. I definitely am getting it early!

Hupp

it will be posted probably on every gaming news blog right after MN posts it but i still RSS'd him anyways

Kushan

CVG has a feature listing 30 things that aren't well known about the NXE. It's definitely worth a look, a good lot of them are things I didn't know:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=200236

# The first time you boot up the New Xbox Experience you'll be treated to a fancy HD promo movie, which is little more than Microsoft showing off its CGI skills. It begins with an Xbox Guide button "activating", followed by lots of 3D-wizardry, fireworks, mountains and epic music.

# Horizontal menus display dynamic content, such as the latest demos or movie releases, while picking the first option takes you 'deeper' into Marketplace or your Games Library to view properly indexed content.

# It looks and animates very slick. Game and Video content is now displayed with proper game box art, movie posters or in the case of music videos, album covers.

# In the final build some items boxes will be fully animated, so you'll be able to see five seconds of PES loop in the PES 2009 demo box, for example.

# We like the new sound effects. They sound less aggressive than those on the current dashboard, and the "powering up" sound effect for the new Xbox Guide is brilliant.

# The new Dashboard has extra resolution options over the old one.

# Text input menus are now cleaner and very, very blue. Though the colour may or may not change dependent on themes.

# The pulsating indicator in the bottom right of the screen is used to indicate your current connected status on Xbox Live. The gamertags of your current friends party are displayed in the top right.

# 360 owners who enjoy a nice de-stressing speed-slide through the blades should be very excited by the 'whoosh' potential in the NXE; using the triggers and the left and right bumpers you can swiftly slide through both horizontal and vertical menus. Whoosh!

Quite a few more at the link.

BajiRav
NXE - What You Want to Know: Netflix and Video Store

We?ve all been there. You?ve just popped some popcorn, put on your flannel pants with the puppies on them (don't fake like you don't have them), wrapped yourself in a comfy blanket, and parked yourself on the couch. Remote in hand, and Dolby 7.1 ready to blast, you reach for the familiar red Netflix envelope sitting on the coffee table ? only to discover that it?s already open, and you?ve already watched the DVD! Your girlfriend/boyfriend/wife/husband/roommate/dog forgot to put it in the mail. Frustration sets in.

2969015717_5f8b957cb6.jpg

2969860688_90e3e7e015.jpg

Relax - it?s time to get comfy again and turn on your Xbox 360. On Nov. 19, all movies from your Netflix instant watch queue will be instantly accessible and playable on your Xbox 360. All Xbox LIVE Gold members with a Netflix subscription will be able to instantly watch more than 12,000 movies from the Netflix library at no extra charge.

On top of that, you no longer need to put on make-up, "acceptable" clothing and shoes to drive to the rental store. Xbox LIVE Video Marketplace offers more than 20,000 pieces of HD and standard definition content, and will have a new sleek look and feel that makes you feel like you?re browsing shelves right in your own living room. You?ll be able to see hi-res box art for all the movies and TV shows you love, plus read all the information that would usually be on the back of the DVD box.

In total, when the New Xbox Experience launches, you will have a massive library of more than 30,000 HD and standard movies and TV episodes at your fingertips. This gives me another reason to spend a quiet night in with Clive Owen, Cillian Murphy, Christian Bale, oh the list goes on...

2969962206_e1e326d843.jpg

Gamerscoreblog

I was thinking of:/ot posting it :/ Probably the first useless post in the series...

Ayepecks
CVG has a feature listing 30 things that aren't well known about the NXE. It's definitely worth a look, a good lot of them are things I didn't know:

One I like:

"The My Xbox tab lets you manage your Avatar and profile settings - basically all of the options you find on the current Xbox Guide. Your played games and their achievements are also neatly displayed on the horizontal scroll with a new bonus feature; you can now delete played games you don't want displayed from your list, as long as you have 0 Gamescore on them."

Very nice. I wish they'd allow that for all games, though... I played Ridge Racer for 30 minutes and got 5 GS. I don't want those GS... and GH3 is really my roommate's game and I'd love to remove it from my profile.

magik

Wow! I thought I was the only one who did this! lol :D

360 owners who enjoy a nice de-stressing speed-slide through the blades should be very excited by the 'whoosh' potential in the NXE; using the triggers and the left and right bumpers you can swiftly slide through both horizontal and vertical menus. Whoosh!

Anyone else do that? It's strangely relaxing :)

spenser.d
Anyone else do that? It's strangely relaxing :)

Now that I think about it, I do do that a lot :laugh:

-Spenser

Kushan

I do it and it always irks me that 2 of the sound effects for the blades are the same. Go ahead, start from the far left or right and swap to the other side, you'll hear the "whoosh" sound as the blades change, but the last two whooshes are identical, probably because there used to be one less blade on the original dsh.

Kushan

Already posted here.

Ayepecks

Yeah I saw, just figured we had an official NXE thread so why not post it here :)

scaramonga

Preview program is FULL now.

LewisBraid

Do we know what the Uk alternative to NetFlix will be? Surely we know by now..? (havent managed to full follow this thread if its already been discussed)

Ricardo Gil
Do we know what the Uk alternative to NetFlix will be? Surely we know by now..? (havent managed to full follow this thread if its already been discussed)

There isn't one :/

AJerman
Preview program is FULL now.

And has been for a couple of days. I think signups were turned off mid-day Monday.

MajorNelson says to expect acceptance emails today if you got in. I really do hope I did. I think this will get me to sign up for Netflix finally. Hopefully more business like this will get them to expand their online selection.

andrew_f

There isn't one, but hopefully down the line they can work something out with LoveFilm.

Hupp

with hd streaming looks like ill be signing up for netflix again

HawkMan
There isn't one, but hopefully down the line they can work something out with LoveFilm.

Lovefilm only do he ship disks thing though ? not streaming ?

Over here least they only do disk rentals.

Coldgunner

afaik, I don't think anyone outside XBox Live or Apple have streaming rentals?

I could be wrong though