[Official] New Xbox Experience (or Fall 2008 Update)

After learning that the New Xbox Experience and Avatar customization would require, at minimum, a 256MB memory card, it spawned more questions than answers. Would the NXE install take up all 256MB? If so, what about Xbox 360 Arcade owners and their tiny 256MB memory card? Wait, what about Core customers who don't have storage or own a 64MB memory card? What are they to do and is the NXE update a mandatory download? CONFUSION! So, we reached out to. Major Nelson and, thankfully, he cleared up said confusion ...

"The new Xbox experience will require 128MB of free space. A hard drive is recommended for the optimal experience, to take advantage of some new features, and to be able to enjoy the great movies, TV shows and games available on Xbox LIVE. While we expect the majority of consumers to download the New Xbox Experience without a problem, a small percentage of Xbox 360 owners do not have enough memory to accommodate the update. To help ensure all Xbox LIVE members are able to download the New Xbox Experience and enjoy its new features, Microsoft will be offering storage solutions to the Xbox LIVE community. We are not sharing details of this offering yet. Be sure to check xbox.com for more details in the coming weeks."

MajorNelson

Certainly sounds more in line with what I was talking about. ;)

It's gonna be awesome. :D The game installation is really a good one. i think it will reduce some heat and also the sound from the DVD ROM drive. But, i have some question.

If I load games from the hdd after installing them, how i will quit back to the main dashboard menu coz some game dosen't have the option to quit back to the main menu like GTA 4 Burnout Paradise etc. in that case we just had to eject the game disk.

i hope u guys understood what i'm tryin to say. :)

In the current dashboard if you press the xbox guide button youcan press Y to go back to the dashboard at any time in any game, retail or arcade. Probabl going to be very similar in the new dash.

I personally love the new dash compared to the current one. The current dashboard is so cluttered as it is, the new one looks a lot sleeker and more defined. Plus isn't the marketplace redesigned so that you no longer will have to endure a 300+ item list in games like Rock Band to get to a single song... something easier to navigate?

Over a dashboard update :rofl:

"Oh noes, I have to look at it for 5 seconds while I start up my games!"

Actually he doesn't :p

if he doesn't want to he NEVER has to see it. start the console into the game disk. do everythign from the guide while in game, he never has to see it.

In the current dashboard if you press the xbox guide button youcan press Y to go back to the dashboard at any time in any game, retail or arcade. Probabl going to be very similar in the new dash.

Ejectign the disc will still dump you to the dashboard though :)

i like the 360 dash just the way it is, its simple yet functional so why does it need to be changed ? and yeah i bet this probably will cause some console problems ! microsoft and updates dont usually go well in the same sentance

Since when ? I believe it's a certain other player who's caused most problems with console updates so far this generation :)

You can. lol, that's the whole point! :p

I think he means the gamerpic. The closest thing you can get to that is designing it on your computer and then using the Vision Camera to shoot it and use it as a personal. I see no reason why MS needs to keep you from using personally designed images as a personal gamerpic, but thats how they do things.

Since when ? I believe it's a certain other player who's caused most problems with console updates so far this generation :)

merely talking from a pc perspective :p i hope the dash update goes ok i dont want a bricked 360 thanks to microsoft, I just wish we had a choice in the update. Honestly dont like what ive seen of the new one so far

I really hope it speeds up the interface so it's not laggy/slow.

Yeah i hope so aswell.

Currently the dash is alittle laggy when viewing friends while in-game etc although it's nothing like the PS3 XMB which is very sluggish when in-game.

I hope they redo the video playback controls as well. They are kind of clunky today. :/ I want AAC multi channel support in MP4 but it probably won't happen with this update. :p

Yeah if they redo the media playback that will be nice. And maybe some hidden suprises like full divx/xvid support and the much asked for mkv support?

Wishful thinking though.

The issue with MKV so far is it has very little legal uses, and hasn't really been picked up by the mainstream as a viable format for inclusion in BR player/other media players.

When DivX was added to PS3/360 it was already widely support by DVD players.

Good news is DivX 7 is supposed to include MKV support.

Sony have to update the PS3 to DivX 7 as it's a DivX certified device, the 360 isn't but MS would IMO easily follow suit to support if the PS3 did.

So whenever DivX 7 pops up, I think that's when you'll potentially see MKV support on consoles.

NXE - What You Want to Know: Community Games Channel

It's that time again - another peek into the upcoming New Xbox Experience. Today, let's do a little math. If easier game development tools = more game developers, and more game developers = more games, what does that mean for the Xbox LIVE community? A bigger selection of games to appeal to your constantly changing appetites.

In a few short weeks we will be coming through on the promise we made almost two years ago on opening up game development to the masses with the Xbox LIVE Community Games Channel. In this week?s Developer Diary, Xbox LIVE?s Major Nelson gives you a sneak peek at the kinds of fun and unique community-created titles that will launch as part of the New Xbox Experience on Nov. 19. Not only is the channel an unprecedented opportunity for aspiring developers to share their ideas and creations with millions of Xbox LIVE members, but as gamers, you?ll have more choices than ever before, and it is all part of the New Xbox Experience.

As always, stay tuned for more updates about the New Xbox Experience. Only one more month to go!

There is an embedded video on their blog: http://gamerscoreblog.com/team/archive/200.../17/561922.aspx

I hope they redo the video playback controls as well. They are kind of clunky today. :/ I want AAC multi channel support in MP4 but it probably won't happen with this update. :p

If there's ANYTHING they should fix, it's the fact that the Windows Media Center built into the Xbox360 should support playback of DivX/MKV files. Currently the experience of playing back media on the Xbox360 is very half-ass and unintuitive compared to the PS3.

And also the speed and performance of the dashboard..currently the in-game menu lags like hell!! Not so on the PS3, it is a lot smoother with the latest firmware.

Lets hope they fix those 2 big issues.

Well the menus are completely reworked and from the videos we've seen they are speedy and smooth (Y)

I'd definitely like to see divx/xvid supported in WMC too though, that I agree on (Y)

I seriously doubt we'll see MKV support.

I've actually started having weird dreams about the new Dash. I had a dream that the new dash came out, but it still used the old guide and I was confused as to why.

*shrugs* Maybe I should play on my 360 less...