[Official] New Xbox Experience (or Fall 2008 Update)

+Audioboxer
Yes? Care to elaborate? Or was this to something else?

Sorry, nothing to do with your post.

I commented then edited. Dug up an old argument to prove a point I made and then realized it wasn't worth it.

Mathachew
This feature is to disable that, sometimes you don't want the game to start when you pop in the DVD :)

Ah, well that makes sense. They were mentioning it auto starting games which it already does, hence the confusion for me.

Sorry, nothing to do with your post.

I commented then edited. Dug up an old argument to prove a point I made and then realized it wasn't worth it.

Ah ok, gotcha :D

mail

Yeah, you can stop games from auto starting in the current dashboard ...

Kushan

No, but this stops them from starting after you put the disk in while the 360 is still on.

Andrew

Not groundbreaking tbh, but I suppose for some a good/welcome feature.

HawkMan

Seems MS is doign their best to shaft anyone not in the US in this update.

only US users currently have photo share/phot party. Not like IR eally care it's nto somethign I use but I don't see the logic. but it's stupid anyway, but it might just be a glitch in the the preview. We'll have to wait for the final version to see how muh anyone outside of the US don't get.

No community games yet either but I'm not sure if USusers have community games yet either so I dunno if that's something else we don't have or if it's just not there yet.

+Audioboxer
Seems MS is doign their best to shaft anyone not in the US in this update.

only US users currently have photo share/phot party. Not like IR eally care it's nto somethign I use but I don't see the logic. but it's stupid anyway, but it might just be a glitch in the the preview. We'll have to wait for the final version to see how muh anyone outside of the US don't get.

No community games yet either but I'm not sure if USusers have community games yet either so I dunno if that's something else we don't have or if it's just not there yet.

1UP Yours confirmed last week 100 to 1 or whatever it's called isn't shipping with NXE, it will come later as an update.

HawkMan

Yeah, but that's primetime channel, not community games channel. We know primetime channel is delayed.

ynnoj

I'm glad they've finally realised that not everyone wants to load the game as soon as they pop it into the tray.

I've been waiting for that option since forever.

+Audioboxer
I'm glad they've finally realised that not everyone wants to load the game as soon as they pop it into the tray.

Yeah I'm glad to see it also.

Brad.

+1 (Y)

Sethos

I doubt that 'autostart off' feature was introduced due to demand but because they expect some people would like to install their games before starting it.

NoLiMiT06

I got the "leaked" copy of the update but I do have a question...Do I have to take my xbox of my network or will it just not connect to xbox live?

Browno

It won't connect to Live anyway.

Andrew
I got the "leaked" copy of the update but I do have a question...Do I have to take my xbox of my network or will it just not connect to xbox live?

You won't be able to download the DivX update, so you can't stream video from your network. Music and pictures will still work afaik.

Kushan

It's very dependant on the game you play. Some see only a minor improvement (like maybe 1-2seconds in a 20second loading screen), but others show a major improvement (such as 1/2 loading time).

Elessar

Hopefully games in the future are better equipped for this feature. It seems to be an issue with the HDD rather than the games though. If i remember correctly, the HDD runs at 5400 RPM. I'm sure we're all used to 7200 RPM+ which would greatly improve load times i would think.

Kushan

Actually the difference between 5400 and 7200RPM drives these days is pretty negligible. Look in the PS3 section, I believe there's a good thread there comparing them and you save maybe a second on a 15s load screen.

Don't forget, the DVD-ROM drive was already pretty fast and the current hard drives are now even faster.

Pheee

Not sure if its been said, but Im listening to Major Nelson Podcast, and they are talking about Parties, the nice feature is.

If you are in a party and you start a game, but you need a title update where it signs you out and back in to do the update, you will return straight back into the party.

That is a nice feature.

There seems to be many little things people have not really noticed yet.

Also E said that the NXE is not final, and alot of things will still change in the background, meaning things moving around etc.

HawkMan
Hopefully games in the future are better equipped for this feature. It seems to be an issue with the HDD rather than the games though. If i remember correctly, the HDD runs at 5400 RPM. I'm sure we're all used to 7200 RPM+ which would greatly improve load times i would think.

Why would future games be "better" equipped for this ?

xbox games are allready for the most part if the developer isn't lazy optmized uing HDD caching. HDD install aren't really an install as it's simply the xbox copying an image file of the disk to the HDD. there isn't really a lot of optimizations to be done outside of that. The box allreayd loads stuff pretty fast.

Not sure if its been said, but Im listening to Major Nelson Podcast, and they are talking about Parties, the nice feature is.

If you are in a party and you start a game, but you need a title update where it signs you out and back in to do the update, you will return straight back into the party.

That is a nice feature.

There seems to be many little things people have not really noticed yet.

Also E said that the NXE is not final, and alot of things will still change in the background, meaning things moving around etc.

A lot of things n the dahs aren't finished but are back end stuff, such as game covers and game graphics for games on varius parts of the dahs, these are being added live as theart teams finish them.

But yeah, I believe there will be a new build of the actual dashboard on the 19th as well. A lot of minor bugs and suggestions are being suggested by the testers and they so seem interested in having a a lot of both the bugs and feature suggetion properly submitted through the bug system and not on the news board.

Kushan
Why would future games be "better" equipped for this ?

xbox games are allready for the most part if the developer isn't lazy optmized uing HDD caching. HDD install aren't really an install as it's simply the xbox copying an image file of the disk to the HDD. there isn't really a lot of optimizations to be done outside of that. The box allreayd loads stuff pretty fast.

You'd be surprised how much faster things can be depending on what order you put them on the disk.

HawkMan

Yeah, well their primary concern is putting them onthe disc so loading from the DVD disc is fast. not loading fromt he DVD image on the HDD.

installing is an option, not something you primarily fous on for optimization, it'll be faster anyway so primary focus is to have stuff loading fast from the actual dvd.

PiracyX

I have been using NXE on my spare 360 and it looks really good.

One thing i will say though. The overal image quality is not that great. for example, The text looks kinda of fuzzy and the xbox logo just look low res to me. Not that it is really an issue but if anything the overall visual quality of the dash has got worse. I have it set at 1080p and it looks like it is running at 800x600 or something. anyone else think this?

Ricardo Gil
I have been using NXE on my spare 360 and it looks really good.

One thing i will say though. The overal image quality is not that great. for example, The text looks kinda of fuzzy and the xbox logo just look low res to me. Not that it is really an issue but if anything the overall visual quality of the dash has got worse. I have it set at 1080p and it looks like it is running at 800x600 or something. anyone else think this?

I'm running mine at 720p and yes it does look a bit aliased on my 32" set. But the old dashboard looked a bit too smooth so I guess it just takes a while to get used too. Also the in-game dash and menus look a bit blurry compared to the NXE :(

But games still run great though especially now that the dust buster noise is gone.