[Official] New Xbox Experience (or Fall 2008 Update)

as I sid in the the resy of the post, with BD not being in 720p , we can't really kniw and they may just even be higher quality than live scaled BD 720 p.

Um what?

Streamed HD is not going to surpass/match physical yet HawkMan, you should maybe go do some more research on bitrates/services and HD.

Sorry, not being rude, but I don't know if you're reading some of what you're posting.

Getting back on topic..

That doesn't sound good at all. It means you have to download a 'new' dashboard every time you connect to Live. If something goes wrong with connecting to the Live servers, you won't have a dashboard. We saw similar problems when the last update came out.

Not necessarily, the 360 will cache all the current files and only download the changes it requires. You'll never "not have a dash", you just might not have the latest dash.

And if you watch the videos, you'll see a lot of the content is streamed on the fly, but it doesn't slow you down (like the current dash does).

That doesn't sound good at all. It means you have to download a 'new' dashboard every time you connect to Live. If something goes wrong with connecting to the Live servers, you won't have a dashboard. We saw similar problems when the last update came out.

The way I see it:

You won't download a new dashboard every time. When you connect to Live it just checks for new updates and updates the dashboard. The new interface allows for it to be completely modular, and adding a new entry to the interface is extremely easy. You probably won't even notice these updates.

The way I see it:

You won't download a new dashboard every time. When you connect to Live it just checks for new updates and updates the dashboard. The new interface allows for it to be completely modular, and adding a new entry to the interface is extremely easy. You probably won't even notice these updates.

Exactly. It'll be like..you turn on your 360, have a blast at Gears 2 and when you come out, you'll notice a new icon in the spotlight or something.

I'd kill for that Netflix service here in the UK :(

Same here! It's what, $10 a month in the US or something? I'd happily pay that for the streaming services.

Um what?

Streamed HD is not going to surpass/match physical yet HawkMan, you should maybe go do some more research on bitrates/services and HD.

Sorry, not being rude, but I don't know if you're reading some of what you're posting.

As I said in the first post BD VC1 video is somewhere aroudn 26-28 in 1080p. IE it has no tual 720p encoded video.

so the TV or BD player needs to downconvert to 720's, and it needs to do it live, wich isn't very good for quality.

meanwhile the xbox live videos are 6.8 in 720p ENCODED video, bit rates isn't everything, encoding is also important.

As I said on a per pixel basis, the 6.8 Mbps of live videos isn't that far from the ~28 or BD/HD-DVD VC1 videos.

I don't really want to continue this debate, but I will say it will not be the same Quality as Blu-ray, but it will be better quality than DVD. Now I'm no expert, but apart from a few scenes here and there, I don't really notice a huge improvement over DVD with regards to Blu-Ray, so I'm sold.

The way I see it:

myeah, I don't really see how this is any different form what we have. except maybe it doesn't store as mcuh on the console and stuff liek avatar gear and theme itemsare only downloaded as needed. but the dashboard itself woudl still be local.

It'd merely be the content that's entralized to the servers, and well that's pretty much as it is, there's only more content to centralize now.

As I said in the first post BD VC1 video is somewhere aroudn 26-28 in 1080p. IE it has no tual 720p encoded video.

so the TV or BD player needs to downconvert to 720's, and it needs to do it live, wich isn't very good for quality.

meanwhile the xbox live videos are 6.8 in 720p ENCODED video, bit rates isn't everything, encoding is also important.

As I said on a per pixel basis, the 6.8 Mbps of live videos isn't that far from the ~28 or BD/HD-DVD VC1 videos.

Um, a BR at 720p does not "downconvert" :blink:

And secondly, 6.8 is nowhere near 28 :blink:

And thirdly we're talking streamed HD content, not downloadable 360 marketplace content, so right now 6.8 means nothing.

We're arguing over nothing to do with netflix now, so let's stop.

You have very strange interpretations of how bitrate and Blu Ray work, but alas, I don't really care.

Netflix HD streaming is good news for those that want it.

myeah, I don't really see how this is any different form what we have. except maybe it doesn't store as mcuh on the console and stuff liek avatar gear and theme itemsare only downloaded as needed. but the dashboard itself woudl still be local.

It'd merely be the content that's entralized to the servers, and well that's pretty much as it is, there's only more content to centralize now.

It's all about the interface.

The current dashboard isn't modular, adding another tab is almost impossible, and that goes for any kind of content inside tabs too.

With the new "media center" like interface you can add as much as you want, and you know it won't break the interface.

Then you wouldn't keep replying :p

Nah, I've now got to the point where beating the horse is pointless so I don't care :laugh:

Um, a BR at 720p does not "downconvert" :blink:

And secondly, 6.8 is nowhere near 28 :blink:

And thirdly we're talking streamed HD content, not downloadable 360 marketplace content, so right now 6.8 means nothing.

We're arguing over nothing to do with netflix now, so let's stop.

You have very strange interpretations of how bitrate and Blu Ray work, but alas, I don't really care.

Netflix HD streaming is good news for those that want it.

Of course it downconverts, If I where to play a BD on my 720 TV, it would have to dovnscale/convert. And depending on the video scaler in the BD unit this could have from virtually none to visible effects on the picture.

And you keep thinking of Bitrate just as bitrate without considering the resolution

1080p@28mps not so different from 720p@6.8 on a per pixel basis.

And I believe you can stream live content as well, but you need to leat it cache up to a point where it can ustain the rest of the movie on the available bandwidth first, I'd expect netflix HD streaming would operate the same way, it's not likw you can stream netflix HD directly on 2,4 or even 6 Mbps line when the stream is 5Mbps.

The point is that on 720p vs 720p the difference won't be noticeable.

Sure they could do a 28Mbps 720 stream, but chances are 720p simple can't make sure of such a high bit rate and 5-6.8 is sufficient to displau without loosing details.

HDCP required for Netflix 360 HD streaming - http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=33237

Uh oh, and the copy protection police have struck again. You may have heard all about the new HD Netflix streaming service on the Xbox 360 but it has been revealed that it requires a HDCP compatible display device. So if you try and play a movie while not connected up to a HDCP display then you will get an error which says Secury HDCP link not found. Well that sucks, pretty bad.
The copy protection police have struck again. The new HD Netflix streaming service on the Xbox 360 requires an HDCP compatible display device. If you try play a movie while not connected to an HDCP compatible display, you will get the “Secure HDCP Link Not Found” error.

For all the people that have a non-HDCP LCD monitors hooked up via DVI to their Xbox 360, you are SOL. What is not clear is whether your resolution be limited to 480p if you have an older Xbox 360 with only component outputs.

This situation kind of mirrors the DVD upscaling issue with the Xbox 360, with the work around being use the VGA adapter in order to get DVD upscaling via analog outputs.

Doesn't every HDTV have HDCP anyway?

I know some monitors don't, so some of you guys might be out of luck.

My question is, is the Netflix integration only HD or is that just an option? I have no HDTV but am considering picking up Netflix and using it through my 360 on my 26" TV.

Already been debunked.

Yeah? Sorry I just read the article.

This a photoshop then or something unrelated?

netflixhdcperror.jpg

Ok I sourced it myself, only really an issue for monitors

The problem is that some older LCD monitors don't support HDCP over DVI, so if you're in the minority of people using an HDMI to DVI adapter to drive an older display that doesn't do HDCP, HD Netflix won't work, since it can't authenticate. That's not the best situation, but DVI isn't a default supported 360 output, so we wouldn't expect 100 percent compatibility -- and besides, you can always run VGA. We're waiting on official confirmation from Microsoft of all this -- we want to get things absolutely right -- but in the meantime you can console yourself with another shot of HD Heroes over component after the break.

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2008/10/30/debunk-...nent-just-fine/

Yeah I just read the article on that, so where's the debunking? I HAVE seen that "HDCP link not found" message myself, though, but it's never actually stopped me from viewing anything on the 360. Lucky for me, my monitor actually has HDCP, but still.

Even some monitors with DVI support HDCP so if this is even true, it wont affect a great many people.

On a side note - I thought things were just supposed to downscale if HDCP wasn't found?

Right, so it's only a problem if you're using a HDMI-DVI cable on a Non-HDCP supported monitor?

If you're using component or VGA or any kind of analogue connection, it works fine?