Identifying Yourself As A Lesbian Gets You Banned On XBOX Live

We already discovered that in MS's TOS it states that it is against the rules to put information such as this in profiles etc. Not due to the fact they dont like gay people, but so as not to stir up trouble with those from other countries where homosexuality is not so accepted.

She has no grounds to sue MS at all, they acted legally and in the best interests of their over all member base.

Oh i see. Then your comment was not actually aimed at me, because i agree with what MS has done, as it states in the TOS that she was breaking the rules by putting that there.

Sorry mate, i just re-read your last comment and still couldnt understand it properly. However the above quote cleared it up.

Note, that i already said in the thread that homosexuality is not accepted in other countries. However, as one guy was being bias about the whole gay idea and he was from the UK, we where discussing that as opposed to the original topic...

Sorry its one of those days, trying to post on a forum in one language and chat in another is challenging :)

ROK = Republic of Korea aka South..

Im tolerant of it but I dont have to accept that homosexuality is right because I dont agree but thats another topic.

One thing is clear :- Xbox Live is a gaming platform, it isnt Second life or Playstation home so stating your Sexual preference is not something that should be there.

I bet you if I made a Neowin name stating something with same-sex I would also get a warning or banned.

I don't think you would actually. As long as it's not derogatory, like "gaysuck" or something I can't see why we'd ban you. And even then, if you were posting in regards to our rules, we'd probably just change your name and make you pick a new one.

Sorry its one of those days, trying to post on a forum in one language and chat in another is challenging :)

ROK = Republic of Korea aka South..

Im tolerant of it but I dont have to accept that homosexuality is right because I dont agree but thats another topic.

One thing is clear :- Xbox Live is a gaming platform, it isnt Second life or Playstation home so stating your Sexual preference is not something that should be there.

Yeah, i wasnt 100% sure your first language was English ;)

Your right, it doesnt need to be made public in a gaming world such as that. The fact it was against the rules for the RIGHT reasons, means she was in the wrong.

The Consumerist is such a crap site. They make a big deal out of story without giving all the details. They will spin a story anyway they can in order to generate hits.

The chick that got banned violated the TOS...end of story.

She can probably sue Microsoft for sexual orientation discrimination, it wasn't in Microsoft's place to decide whether or not she's allowed to show that she was a lesbian.

But it is their right to not allow such advertisement seeing as it is their service after all and they are not willing to promote that type of interaction with younger kids. I wouldn't find it offensive though but I do understand that it is an issue to her and other lesbian and gay people.

I'm sure you've all heard by now about the girl who was banned from XBL apparently for stating that she was a lesbian?

It's been all over the news, but here's a link to keep you up to date: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=209280

The gay gaming community is in uproar this morning after word broke that an Xbox Live user was banned for identifying herself as a lesbian.

Ex-Xbox Live member, Teresa (that's EX member - hold onto your friend requests) says she was harassed by other players and later suspended from the service for noting her sexual preference in her Xbox Live profile.

Apparently, when Teresa appealed to Microsoft, the company told her that other gamers found her sexual orientation "offensive."

I personally think this is a very sad state of affairs. While I'm aware that (assuming this is all true) it's probably somewhat out of Microsoft's hands and due to the numbers of people on Live claiming "offence" from a lesbian, it still saddens me that in today's society, people still kick up such a fuss at such a simple statement.

In order to show my support for the lesbian community, I've decided to also state that I am a lesbian within my Xbox profile. Anyone else fancy joining me?!

I'm not flaming you but it is Microsoft's right to pretty much ban any member on Xbox Live if they seem/are disrupting players. As I've mentioned earlier, I don't see a problem with it. It's Microsoft's service and they do have the right to ban whoever.

I'm sure you've all heard by now about the girl who was banned from XBL apparently for stating that she was a lesbian?

It's been all over the news, but here's a link to keep you up to date: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=209280

I personally think this is a very sad state of affairs. While I'm aware that (assuming this is all true) it's probably somewhat out of Microsoft's hands and due to the numbers of people on Live claiming "offence" from a lesbian, it still saddens me that in today's society, people still kick up such a fuss at such a simple statement.

In order to show my support for the lesbian community, I've decided to also state that I am a lesbian within my Xbox profile. Anyone else fancy joining me?!

...but you're a.....guy :laugh:

all kidding aside though this is a little ****ed up, but MS base bannings on user complaints in these cases so she must have been in your face about it or something to trigger enough complaints to get banned.

I'm not flaming you but it is Microsoft's right to pretty much ban any member on Xbox Live if they seem/are disrupting players. As I've mentioned earlier, I don't see a problem with it. It's Microsoft's service and they do have the right to ban whoever.

So, by that logic, it'd be OK to ban a black person because of their color or a Jewish person because of their religion? Their sexual orientation is no different.

She wasn't banned for being lesbian, she was banned for stating her sexual orientation on her profile on a family service that doesn't allow that in the TOS.

Oh yea, same as i guess if i run a business and its my right te o hire/fire/ban anyone based on whatever? yea right

She wasn't banned for being lesbion, she was banned for stating her sexual orientation on her profile on a family service that doesn't allow that in the TOS.

There you go then, that clears it up.

Jeez, what's up with all this 'equal right to everybody' bs nowadays..

Im sorry, but if your aloud to ride in front because your white and i have to ride at the back because im black, then i think equal rights are a good thing, no?

Personally if I was a chick and a lesbian I'd find it a bigger insult for a guy to state that they were a lesbian in their profile :-P But I understand your view

No thanks, I'd prefer to keep my Live account active.

But, you go girl :laugh:

Edited by ynnoj

So, by that logic, it'd be OK to ban a black person because of their color or a Jewish person because of their religion? Their sexual orientation is no different.

That's not the point.

Look at it this way: why would anyone need to divulge this information in a game? What's the point of telling anyone their sexuality, race, etc.?