[Football] Summer 2009 transfer thread

I'm so-so about his signing. Utd will make him work harder no doubt, at the same time though with a current lack of oomph up front, perhaps this may just make rooney work just as hard, he may consider image wise Owen to be better and may want to beat that.

If he's earning what Utd consider a low wage then he may lead them in the FA and league cup while coming of the bench in the other matches. It also perhaps means Rooney and Berby are first choices full stop and Owen to back them up.

If not then Utd may find they've got a toothless strike force...

One thing to consider is chemistry, one would think Rooney/Owen would work well as they know each other from International duties. Same with Carrick/Hargreaves supplying Owen.

Say you bring in someone like Benzema, he may or may not work right off the bat. Berbatov for example didn't play that great last season, but I think he'll do much better this season.

The funny thing is Owen could make an impact right away, but the risk and question everyone is asking is does he still have it in him?

Not really a risk. Word is he's only being paid for appearances, and the transfer was a free, so no financial risk involved.

If thats the case, maybe, but personally I doubt he'd play on terms like that. Still, I feel fergie is taking a gamble not financially, but putting his faith in a player to add extra firepower that may well be past it. Ronaldo's boots are very big and I am just not sure that Owen can fill them at this stage of his career. Maybe 8 years ago, but not now.

This can be the saga we were all waiting for this summer.. City just won't take no for an answer :p

Ambitious Manchester City may be in the running for an award for sheer persistence after reports emerged that they are preparing a third bid to persuade Chelsea and England skipper John Terry to head north to Eastlands - even though the Blues categorically ruled out any deal earlier on Friday.

Chelsea issued a statement insisting that they had "completely rejected an offer from Manchester City for John Terry", stressing that, "it was made clear to City, for the second time following an approach last season, that we would not entertain any conversation on the subject."

Moreover, Terry has himself recently reiterated his commitment to the Stamford Bridge club.

Nevertheless, the Telegraph has revealed that, undeterred, "City sources" say their club have received sufficient encouragement that Terry may yet be lured away from Stamford Bridge to test Chelsea’s resolve once more.

:D

Take Drogba away!! Anyone? :no:

If thats the case, maybe, but personally I doubt he'd play on terms like that. Still, I feel fergie is taking a gamble not financially, but putting his faith in a player to add extra firepower that may well be past it. Ronaldo's boots are very big and I am just not sure that Owen can fill them at this stage of his career. Maybe 8 years ago, but not now.

You seem to think Owen was bought as the replacement for Ronaldo which I highly doubt is the case.

Fergie is a smart man, he knows what he's doing. Owen is a substitute, and time will tell if he is a good one or not.

If Owen is only a Sub, then Utd still needs to sign a super striker. Plus its about time to sign in replacements for Neville, Giggs, Van der Sar and Scholes.

VidER

If Owen is only a Sub, then Utd still needs to sign a super striker. Plus its about time to sign in replacements for Neville, Giggs, Van der Sar and Scholes.

VidER

Benzema rejected Man Utd, so they in turn chose Owen.

Last season Alex Ferguson played Berbatov, Rooney and Ronaldo up front as a preferred partnership (with Rooney and Ronaldo dropping deeper on the left and right) and Tevez could not get a game. This season Owen will be their Tevez, ie play a few games but sit on the bench most of the time.

It will actually be interesting to see what system Man Utd will employ. Ronaldo was obviously their star, and they built their formation around him. Will they play Nani or Valencia in the same place as Ronaldo, or will they turn to a conventional 442 with more traditional out and out wingers?

VidER

Is ?60m of fire power not good enough for you? Assuming united revert back to 4-4-2 they'll be playing berba and ronney up top, with Owen as a sub (tevez role), Macheda as a alright backup and Welbeck who Fergie believes will be in Capellos world cup squad. Where would a super striker fit in here?

United have their two starting strikers, and Owen who will be coming off the bench for the final 20 minutes when the game is level and teams have 11 men behind the ball. Then if that fails they have Macheda and Welbeck who although not superstars can do a job.

And as for replacements for Neville Giggs Van der sar and Scholes. Have you heard of R.Da Silva, Eckersly, Foster, Fletcher Carrick, Anderson, Gibson, Possebon, Nani, Tosic and Valencia? Although I wouldn't be against united signing another keeper as Foster does seem quite injury prone.

Man Utd do have another keeper in Tomasz Kuszczak, if anything Ben Foster is third choice. They don't need replacement urgent. They've got the twins as full becks, midfield is fine although perhaps no one better than scholes in his crossfield aim and aggression. They've got Anderson and Nani, they'd no doubt start playing more.

You seem to think Owen was bought as the replacement for Ronaldo which I highly doubt is the case.

Ronaldo was their main breadwinner, and he is gone. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that fergie is gambling on owen being the man to bag his goals. United, Liverpool, and Chelsea are being priced out of the transfer market by man city and they need to bag anyone they can it seems

Ronaldo was their main breadwinner, and he is gone. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that fergie is gambling on owen being the man to bag his goals. United, Liverpool, and Chelsea are being priced out of the transfer market by man city and they need to bag anyone they can it seems

I'd still disagree, Fergie won't leave it at Owen/Valencia to replace Ronaldo/Tevez. Yes he'll expect Owen to score some goals but he won't be gambling on him being top scorer.

As for City, is anyone actually willing to go there? It's more a case of Real Madrid + Ronaldo transfer pricing us 3 out. When the offer for Ronaldo was accepted, Bayern Munich slapped a ?90m price tag on Ribery because of it.

Well if you look at some of the big players they've already signed, I think its a fair sign they're on the up and up. Thing is, with so few really good forwards on the market, one has to argue that fergie has been forced into a corner a bit, he has to take a chance. As he'll be getting Owen on a free, its a small risk but still a risk IMO.

Will be interesting to see how united cope without Ronaldo

Well it really depends on how he chooses to spend the rest of the ?80 million (because Fergie gets an annual ?20 million transfer budget). I should think he'll go for another central midfielder because Hargreaves' future looks pretty bleak and of course somebody as cover for Scholes. I was liking the sound of a swap deal for Moutinho and Lisbon and sending Nani the other way, because let's face it, he's pretty disposable now we've got Valencia.

Also, Fergie will probably go for a right back as Neville will be gone in a couple of years and Rafael is rather too young to be starting all games. Though I can't really think of many targets Sir Alex may go for on this one. He may even stick with Neville and Rafael for the time being.

Finally, a striker/winger/attacking midfielder. We definitely need someone who can bang in the goals, but like Frank Fontaine has said. There are very few, high-quality, big money signings at the moment. I just feel a little frustrated that the pre-season is around the corner, we've sold two of our best players, and 'replaced' them with Valencia and Owen.

Well it really depends on how he chooses to spend the rest of the ?80 million (because Fergie gets an annual ?20 million transfer budget). I should think he'll go for another central midfielder because Hargreaves' future looks pretty bleak and of course somebody as cover for Scholes. I was liking the sound of a swap deal for Moutinho and Lisbon and sending Nani the other way, because let's face it, he's pretty disposable now we've got Valencia.

Also, Fergie will probably go for a right back as Neville will be gone in a couple of years and Rafael is rather too young to be starting all games. Though I can't really think of many targets Sir Alex may go for on this one. He may even stick with Neville and Rafael for the time being.

Finally, a striker/winger/attacking midfielder. We definitely need someone who can bang in the goals, but like Frank Fontaine has said. There are very few, high-quality, big money signings at the moment. I just feel a little frustrated that the pre-season is around the corner, we've sold two of our best players, and 'replaced' them with Valencia and Owen.

We've sold Vidic and Rooney????:p:p Yes Ronaldo was probably the best, but Tevez would have been a ?25m sub, who would score 5 PL goals a season. Owen is free and more than capable of scoring 5 a season. And i'm sure can the head the ball in from 1 yard out!!!!!!

Hadn't heard of the swap deal but I wouldn't be against it, although not sure what signing Valencia has to do with it because Nani plays on the left wing, and at the moment his competition is Tosic in a 4-4-2 formation and welbeck/rooney in the 4-3-3 formation.

I don't think we need a RB as you said Neville will be gone in a couple of years, but the good money is on Rafael also being a couple of years older in a couple of years. We also have Wes Brown, and John O'Shea to come in for the odd games if Rafael ever needed resting, and considering Rafael plays so much like Neville i'm happy with him being our future RB back.

Ronaldo and Tevez combined for 47 goals last season. Which sounds like a lot, but think of how many came from freekicks and penalties, and also remember how few goals Berbatov and Rooney scored for strikers, they'll have an entire pre-season behind them now, and a natural crosser of the ball on the wing, instead of a natural finisher feeding them balls So they should get at least 10 more each, especially Berbatov. Owen/Welbeck/Macheda should also add atleast 15 goals this season, and then we could have the likes of Anderson taking penalties and Tosic/Hargreaves/Berbatov taking the free kicks. It's going to be hard work, but they can replace the goals, it's going to be harder to replace the fear that Ronaldo brought to opposition teams. But we do still have a hell of a lot of money left to bring in some world class players.

Michael Owen is way past his prime, I really think Fergie was high when he made that phonecall. They should've made a bigger effort to buy Benzema.

Benzema made it clear last season he didn't want to come to England and only wanted Spain.

Still, trying to get Benzema to England is better than stooping down low to Michael Owen.

Still, trying to get Benzema to England is better than stooping down low to Michael Owen.

Why doesn't he just sign Torres?