let the games begin: Forza 3 vs GT 5 comparison pictures

It's kind of unfair to compare every aspect of the games because GT5 has over five years of development time and Forza 3 is being made in a little over two and half years of development time. You can get a lot done in five years, especially with the game not have a clear launch date and could go on into Duke Nukem Forever style development.

I think it's perfectly fair as GT may of had time on it's side, they'd had not much threat (till now) or need to out do anyone but themselves. Forza 3 has done what has taken Polyphony many years to build up and is proving to be a serious threat to GT's crown. They are indirect competitors and comparisons between them in every detail are inevitable, not to mention this is a huge testimate to Turn 10's abilities in being able to seriously threaten a well established titan.

I can't wait to play GT5. Prologue was great but it just made me super hungry for the final product.

@ A.B.L.N.N. I get what you mean about GT5's long development but don't forget they released GT5 Prologue. I personally got it bundled with my PS3 for ?280 total (40GB PS3). And in shops it was only like ?20 retail not the normal ?44 that full games launch at. They gave us a pretty big taster of what was to come and they had been working really hard on that.

Forza 3 like the original 2 some if not most of the Developers are X-racers who did this all for a livening so it stand is that they would have more knowledge on how stuff should be in the game and stuff while poly digital only are Game developers and to my knowledge not a single one was once an X-race car driver

Well for starters this isn't a fair comparison, that GT shot is from GT5P and it's a bullshot anyway (it is NOT in-game, taken from a replay and so it has filters etc applied to it to make it look better then it really is). Forza 3 has the superior detail hands down (plus it runs at "FullHD" while GT5 does not)
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, which normally runs at 1920 x 1080 resolution, got a boost from four times the processing power of the PS3, enabling it to run at 3840 x 2160. Each PS3 handled the rendering of a quarter of the total display area. This image was projected on a 220-inch screen via Sony's SRX-S110 projector, which is capable of handling a 4096 x 2160 image... and is too expensive to quote.

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, which normally runs at 1920 x 1080 resolution, got a boost from four times the processing power of the PS3, enabling it to run at 3840 x 2160. Each PS3 handled the rendering of a quarter of the total display area. This image was projected on a 220-inch screen via Sony's SRX-S110 projector, which is capable of handling a 4096 x 2160 image... and is too expensive to quote.

That was a publicity stunt I believe and is hardly relevant as how many people even have displays that can handle that resolution? also GT5P native resolution is 1280x1080 and it's upscaled to 1920 x 1080 and there are currently huge arguments between Forza and GT fans over whether that is still defined as "FullHD" or not. This is just the whole Halo 3 debarkable again, ultimately the resolution doesn't matter and they both look incredibly good.

Well for starters this isn't a fair comparison, that GT shot is from GT5P and it's a bullshot anyway (it is NOT in-game, taken from a replay and so it has filters etc applied to it to make it look better then it really is). Forza 3 has the superior detail hands down (plus it runs at "FullHD" while GT5 does not), however, from the current GT5 (not GT5P) videos/shots GT may have less detail but the cars look far more realistic, while the Forza 3 cars look a bit like (very detailed) plastic toy cars. The below shot is a GT5 shot, again it is still technically a bullshot as it was taken from a reply so it has extra filters and so on applied to it, so the in-game version will not look as good...still, you can't deny it does look good :)

post-44573-1244352252_thumb.png

Still, even that isn't a fair comparison. Until Polyphony/Sony start releasing undoctored in-game shots of GT5 there is no way to fairly comparison the two, but one thing is clear and that is Forza 3 is by far the most detailed. That is my 2 cents so take with a grain of salt.

FullHD? You're kidding right? Turn10 has already debunked the rumor and stated Forza 3 runs are 720p native.

It's kind of unfair to compare every aspect of the games because GT5 has over five years of development time and Forza 3 is being made in a little over two and half years of development time. You can get a lot done in five years, especially with the game not have a clear launch date and could go on into Duke Nukem Forever style development.

LOLz. So PD is damned for taking 5 years to really get to know the hardware and incorporate as many features as they can, while Turn10 gets an 'attaboy' for releasing a half-assed Forza 2? Personally, while the wait sucks, you can tell it's for a good reason; Gran Turismo 5 will be massive on just about every scale.

I think it's perfectly fair as GT may of had time on it's side, they'd had not much threat (till now) or need to out do anyone but themselves. Forza 3 has done what has taken Polyphony many years to build up and is proving to be a serious threat to GT's crown. They are indirect competitors and comparisons between them in every detail are inevitable, not to mention this is a huge testimate to Turn 10's abilities in being able to seriously threaten a well established titan.

The reason GT5 has taken so long is 1. finally including damage, something new to them. And 2. a MASSIVE list of cars which each take a good amount of time to create.

I think they both look pretty incredible. To be honest I always always a Gran Turismo fan but I don't feel like I'm missing out now that there is the Forza franchise on Xbox :)

Forza 3 like the original 2 some if not most of the Developers are X-racers who did this all for a livening so it stand is that they would have more knowledge on how stuff should be in the game and stuff while poly digital only are Game developers and to my knowledge not a single one was once an X-race car driver

Kazunori Yamauchi is no slouch when it comes to cars. He owns quit ea few REALLY nice cars like a GT-R (I believe) and two (2) Ford GT'a. He's raced a few of them as well and just because not everyone on the PD team are previous racers doesn't mean that haven't been behind the wheel and share the same passion for racing...

F3 doesn't have "better" lighting or reflections, but they certainly are overall more realistic. What do you expect on a cloudy day in the mountains compared to some bright and shiny city. Not to mention silver tends to reflect less as it is a more dull colour.

I think they both look very good.

The reason why I just prefer Forza 3 over GT5 at this point is, Forza 3's handling of the cars is a lot more fun, where as the handling in GT5 feels cumbersome, boring and borderline sleep inducing - Not something I'd want to fire up and have a few laps in when I'm bored. Not to mention Turn10 seems to be focusing on realistic handling and physics a lot more than PD.

Not to mention why the cars in the GT series always managed to sound like vacuum cleaners, I feel sorry for the guys who had to travel around and record the car sounds, then you have some sound engineers / developers botch them up by running them through 50 different filters and destroying a pure engine sound. Revving a Lamborghini in Forza gives me a hard-on. Both game got the looks but only one of them got my undivided attention!

Oh and Elessar, the picture you posted, talking about road contact? ... If there really is, they just made the wheel clip below the surface creating the illusion of contact :p

I think forza looks more realistic whereas GT5 looks slightly smoother but less realistic (backdrops especially)

I personally think they both look great

Gameplay wise though i do prefer forza

FullHD? You're kidding right? Turn10 has already debunked the rumor and stated Forza 3 runs are 720p native.

I stand corrected but give me a break, not everyone is privy to all the facts up to the minute.

LOLz. So PD is damned for taking 5 years to really get to know the hardware and incorporate as many features as they can, while Turn10 gets an 'attaboy' for releasing a half-assed Forza 2? Personally, while the wait sucks, you can tell it's for a good reason; Gran Turismo 5 will be massive on just about every scale.

GT5 will be big I have no doubt (going by the scale of GT4, we all know Polyphony don't hold back on full releases).

The reason GT5 has taken so long is 1. finally including damage, something new to them. And 2. a MASSIVE list of cars which each take a good amount of time to create.

That is part of the reason but the other part is Polyphony are perfectionists, GT5 is ready to ship and has been for a little while, why hasn't it? because Polyphony aren't happy with the overall quality and are currently further polishing and tweaking it.

On a side note, apparently Forza 3 will include Australian cars :woot: I'm hoping GT5 will as well (as GT4 did). It's only a tiny thing but Aussie cars are often left out and as an Aussie it makes me warm and fuzzy inside when we get recognized, even in a small way :p :happy:

On a side note, apparently Forza 3 will include Australian cars :woot: I'm hoping GT5 will as well (as GT4 did). It's only a tiny thing but Aussie cars are often left out and as an Aussie it makes me warm and fuzzy inside when we get recognized, even in a small way :p :happy:

Does that mean we can ride around in a Kangaroo Pouch?

Stereotypes ftw

I *heart* Holden's, so i'm with you on the Aussie cars. As for PD, they are indeed perfectionists, but they almost always deliver in the end.

All I have to say is WOW. :woot:

Both look good but I like the detail of forzas enviroment + track..

The cars themself look good except the color difference. Red shines easier then grey. So kind of an iffy comparison. But they both look not that much different, althou I do like Forza 3 better.

All in all Forzas moved up QUICKLY. GTs at its 5th Game and Forza is at its 3rd game. Im happy there doing good. Im not bashing GT, just saying Forzas team is working HARD.

Anyway, I received my limited edition today XD. So I would have to say forza 3 anyway :p.

P.S. This winter most of us are gonna be poor. So many good games.

and lets not forget, the all important damage..GT may be late to the game on this one but damn the wait was oh so worth it

post-44573-1244354191_thumb.png

I don't know what damage will be like in Forza 3, going by Forza 2 it wasn't that crash hot (in terms of how it affected your car it was damn good, but the physical representation was not as good though). Maybe Forza 3 can match or surpass this but Polyphony has certainly raised the bar :) GT is not going down without a fight, Forza 3 has strong credentials to dethrone GT5 as the definitive car racing game but it's clear Polyphony still have a few surprises for us :)

I think Forza will do just fine with damage

Capture.PNG

They do after all have 10 years of experience doing damage, yeah it had to be limited in previous versions. but this time around, they are allowed to go all out, and they can do rollovers. And it's all physics based, just like tire wear and tire pressure and deformation.

Notice how the impact not only damaged the front taking parts off and breaking them, but it also compressed and deformed the whole frame of the car from the high speed impact.

I think Forza will do just fine with damage

Capture.PNG

They do after all have 10 years of experience doing damage, yeah it had to be limited in previous versions. but this time around, they are allowed to go all out, and they can do rollovers. And it's all physics based, just like tire wear and tire pressure and deformation.

Notice how the impact not only damaged the front taking parts off and breaking them, but it also compressed and deformed the whole frame of the car from the high speed impact.

Yeah, it looks to be pretty detailed! I suspect I'm going to end up getting into some pretty spectacular collisions in this version of Forza! (yeah I'm a pretty rubbish driver, doesn't stop me enjoying it though :)...however the GRID style rewind feature will probably be a life saver for me!)

The below shot is a GT5 shot, again it is still technically a bullshot as it was taken from a reply so it has extra filters and so on applied to it, so the in-game version will not look as good...still, you can't deny it does look good :)

post-44573-1244352252_thumb.png

The only problem is that, that shot is not a real shot. It's still from the video shown at E3. GT5 will most likely look the same as GT5:P. It's highly unlikely that they will introduce something more as it is an already existing engine they've created. Unless they did some drastic changes in code I don't think we'll see much difference. They were most likely working on damage, more cars and adding these additional game modes then refining the look even more.

Now, when Forza 3 has been shown, I'm pretty sure they'll try to polish up and outdo it as much as they can.

I think this thread just proves that both are amazing really. Just the fact it seems pretty split in people's opinions on which looks better.

I think Turn 10 have done brilliant in improving their stuff since Forza 2, and we all know how much effort must be going on at Polyphony.

Who cares which is better its not like they are multiplatform titles, if you have a PS3 you get GT5 if you have 360 you get Forza, if you have both then get both im tired of this omg game abc is better than game xyz.

Imo Gran Turismo is the original driving simulator and having played GT5P and Forza 2 i found Forza 2 not that fun to play.

Both look amazing, though my choice goes to Forza 3, not that it's better looking, but it appeals more to me. the livery editor is a huge plus and this announced rewind assist also pulls me over to Forza's side, who cares we don't get 800 cars? I think 400 is more than enough...

headlights on the forza shot look absolute crap and i'm failing to spot a driver in the forza screenshot :p

the backdrop looks better on forza but as others have pointed out, the gt5 one is of prologue from 2008 so its not exactly a proper comparison, better to wait for the 2 games to be released and then compare.