[Official] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

It comes out in 12 days, if they say that all the copies in australia can't be sold there will be soooo many ****ed off people who preordered, not to mention all of the retailers.

i mean , im getting the impression that IW is losing touch of reality, like getting rid of dedicated servers? killing civilians?

Yea because no other game lets you kill civilians...

Any controversy over this is ridiculous.

You get a choice whether to kill them or not! You get to a checkpoint and it asks you whether you wish to carry on, you can leave it and go to the next mission, go through with it, shoot/not shoot civillians. YOUR choice.

Also it's leaked on Xbox 360 now, but can't be played online as there is no stealth :)

You get a choice whether to kill them or not! You get to a checkpoint and it asks you whether you wish to carry on, you can leave it and go to the next mission, go through with it, shoot/not shoot civillians. YOUR choice.

Also it's leaked on Xbox 360 now, but can't be played online as there is no stealth :)

IMO that makes it even worse, like they're wanting some sort of back peddling mechanic to defend themselves.

If it's an integral part of the story put it in and make gamers play it, else it'll just look like shock tactics or doing it for the sake of creating drama. You don't get to an uncomfortable part of a movie and a massive disclamer pops up saying "cover your eyes and ears if you don't like blood/swearing/gore/violence". Just makes the gaming story telling medium look weak and mishandled.

p2p then?

not long until my preorder gets here for PS3 ^_^

You know what. I agree 100% AB

Yeah but If they put it mandatory, it's not the gamers who's going to complain but some *****'s in Washington will start crying about too much violence in video game. It would be like fueling the fire, I think what IW did was a right choice.

Yeah but If they put it mandatory, it's not the gamers who's going to complain but some *****'s in Washington will start crying about too much violence in video game. It would be like fueling the fire, I think what IW did was a right choice.

You're missing my point, if it's made non-mandatory then it's clearly positioned as an optional "go kill these civilians if you want to" mini-game, which in return will be reflected as a situation of "if you do it you're a crazed child molesting terrorist killer and a threat to the United states" by the media.

Where as if everyone who plays it is ushered through it as it's part of the story the media can't define camps, EVERYONE who plays COD MW2 has to experience that scene. Just like in a movie, everyone experiences the scene.

It's making me doubt it's importance if it can be skipped, therefore I have worries it's just done to "push boundaries", which is lame, if a developer wants to push boundaries they should be approaching story telling in gaming in a more mature fashion to try and reach the lofty heights of movie story telling.

Putting violence, ######, sex in your game is utterly disconnected and mishandled if it's just there for the sake of it - Excluding something that's built upon humour and mindless fun like GTA, or some other situational scenes in other games where its understood as humour/not serious. It's not the gratuity the media should be focussing on, it's the lame way in which games approach story telling and maturity at times.

Terrorists killing innocents is in most like literally hundreds of movies, we don't bat an eyelid, but if developers are mishandling the transition of putting such scenes into games as bad as IW may have, it's no wonder games get ripped to shreds.

If it's an optional scene to play it could so easily have just been a cutscene dictating the terrorist violence...

Edited by Audioboxer

It is confirmed that you can select whether or not you want to play through the next scene. And 18+ is plastered all over the box.

It's funny how the game is 18+ but there will be hundreds of thousands of 18- teens playing it online. Since IW is hosting these games on its own servers it may be grounds for a lawsuit... hint hint.

Screw you, Infinity Ward!

It's funny how the game is 18+ but there will be hundreds of thousands of 18- teens playing it online. Since IW is hosting these games on its own servers it may be grounds for a lawsuit... hint hint.

Screw you, Infinity Ward!

Don't know if you meant that as a joke, and ignoring the fact that is one of the stupidest things I've heard today. :p

How is developer/publisher at fault for selling a game that is 18+ to those younger when they don't sell the game itself directly to the user?

The under age user/parents and shop are to blame for under 18's getting their hands on the game they shouldn't have.

Don't know if you meant that as a joke, and ignoring the fact that is one of the stupidest things I've heard today. :p

How is developer/publisher at fault for selling a game that is 18+ to those younger when they don't sell the game itself directly to the user?

The under age user/parents and shop are to blame for under 18's getting their hands on the game they shouldn't have.

I agree with this, but one blissful thing about dedicated servers on the PC is you can find a handful that have a good bunch of regular people and avoid the absolutely inane and tiresome flaw of matchmaking and it giving you the retards of the day on constant flow (usually people under "18").

If I'm honest that's probably why I've put over 200 hours into TF2, the communities I regular on, yet I can't ever seem to get into multiplayer on consoles as it's so much hassle for me to be constantly paired with randoms every game.

Halo/COD are also the worst offenders to be a cesspool of a tribute to just how badly some adults need not to have children, but that's inherent because of their popularity.

This game is going to be absolutely amazing...sure its garnering bad press over this terrorist mission but to be honest I think its a very cool addition to the game. It's going to be a new feeling to be on the other side of the law.

For those who IW will be at fault for under-age gamers getting a hold of the games, that is simply not true, the blame falls upon the retailers and the parents who buy the game for their kids. I hope people don't make big enough of a deal out of it to the point where they have to pull the games off the shelves or something drastic...that's why I will buy my copy on day 1 :D

Just pre-ordered my copy from Asda yesterday :happy:

Not long to go now...

Lucky.

The on by me said they had taken too many and couldn't do any more, but that there would be more copies than reserves so to just turn up on the night.