[Official] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Why are they tryin to get my to pirate the game ? :s im really tempted to cancel my pre-order download the game to play the single player and wait until their servers are bk up (as they'll crash and be down for a week or so or kick u off every 5secs) and see how f***ed up it really is, and whether its worth payin the ?35+

Im hoping due to the huge backlash they're gona get from this they'll change they're mind and realise pc gamers dont want console ports any more and are quite happy without them.

I have never had problems with find a cod4 server tbh, i mean u add a few filters and sort the server list by amount of players, choose a map i like and im away. I cant see how ANYONE can struggle with that!:ss

I mean u notice that all the huge multiplayer games have dedicated servers, CS and COD4 have a huge fan base, how can they see a problem in that? Its like they're saying, hmm we dont really want a huge multiplayer presence on the PC for this game. At least put matchmaking as a freakin option so ppl have the choice!

And if u must have matchmaking, make it so we can play against ppl on consoles as that would be amusing to say the least lol

Just to be clear, and someone asked this earlier in the thread.

The PC version does NOT have LAN support either. So, no Hamachi won't get more popular with the PC crowd with MW2. In fact, it won't work at all. Isn't that great?

WHAT!?

This is where I read it: here

From other comments and links I've read, I'm not so sure LAN support has been dropped, but it's more than likely at this point anyway.

So no more playing with your friends in a netcafe :s

Are they deliberately trying to kill this game on PC?

Was pretty set on buying the 360 bundle as my first COD for a console. But as a longtime COD PC player, I definitely don't approve of this crap they are pulling. Guess I'll be saving for something worth the money.

This pretty much sums up my feelings regarding the issue.

Why no MW2 Dedicated Servers is bad

Plus the awful experience at the moment with L4D and matchmaking, is it just me but every time I try to use the matchmaking system I get placed in a game with 300ms>, I never use the matchmaking system any more because of this and simply use the open server browser command and select one of literally tens of games that have <70ms ping.

Regarding my above example of L4D i know the algorithm and systems will be different but I still envisage the same problems and at least with L4D you have the option to bypass this.

Edited by jelli

Im filling gas on the fire :p

Privately owned servers ensure that, when IW's gets yanked offline for maintenance or goes down because they can't handle the player load they've been given, people can still play the game online. This is why some of the most touted exclusives for the Xbox 360 and PS3 were unplayable online for days (or even weeks) after they were launched. IW and Activision both know this, so their decision to remove a feature just to "streamline" online connectivity in a market that had online multiplayer years before any console did (and did just fine) is simply an anti-consumer act that is nigh retarded.

Completely removing mod support from a PC title is, also, an act of unfathomable stupidity. PC games are often bought because they provide the consumer with an opportunity to create their own content in an environment where they don't have the money or technical expertise to do otherwise. Counter Strike started off as a Half-life mod; it is still one the most played games online for any platform despite having been released a decade ago. Team Fortess? It's Quake mod that's had infinity longer legs (and arguable more success) than the very game it was spawned from. The PC port of RE4 looked worse than the PS2 version did when it was released; because of the community, updates were made to the game that not only allow it to easily compete with most current gen titles, but fixed the well documented control issues and even provided others (I'm sure you can now use a Wiimote for the PC version). We could delve into the countless weapons, characters, custom maps, custom levels, and total conversions that the modding community have made. These are all things the console ecosystem often does not provide (sometimes for copyright issues, sometimes to wring money out of wallets in order to sell you things the community could've created in a day) and it's always been a major factor in purchasing a game for one platform over another. Which, I'm sure, is why they killed MW2's modding community before it had a chance to begin; they now have the opportunity to sell us 3 maps at the low price of $10 and there's no way for us to compete with them. With IW pulling the feature from one of the year's most advertised and anticipated games in order to hock **** to us we would've made on our own, they risk giving other developer a precedent to do the same for future titles. ::claps:: Way to **** on the fans that made you a top developer, Infinity Ward.

To do all of that while charging us $60 for a game that offers substantially less than its $50 predecessor did while forcing us to use Steam so our games can't be resold after they're played and then to completely hack out any feature that would've made the game desirable to a PC gamer in the first g*ddamn place...well...there's just no point in playing or owning the PC version even if it does look and perform better.

To all Infinity Ward and Activision employees (which I'm sure is none) who read this site, I have the following kind words for your consideration. Go **** yourselves, your games, and I hope to see all of your future endeavors flop horrifically. We made you (Infinity Ward) what you are today and you ****wits can't even make a clean stab to our backs as a token of appreciation; no, you've got to twist the blade slightly so we actually feel the pain. Your FPS is one of many available to a platform that spawned and still dominates the genre; no matter how anticipated, no matter how advertised, you're just one fish in a sea of many. I hope Activision runs you and your franchise into the ground just like they have to every one of their pet developers; at this point in time, you don't deserve anything else.

This pretty much sums up my feelings regarding the issue.

Why no MW2 Dedicated Servers is bad

Plus the awful experience at the moment with L4D and matchmaking, is it just me but every time I try to use the matchmaking system I get placed in a game with 300ms>, I never use the matchmaking system any more because of this and simply use the open server browser command and select one of literally tens of games that have <70ms ping.

Regarding my above example of L4D i know the algorithm and systems will be different but I still envisage the same problems and at least with L4D you have the option to bypass this.

+1 on that article. I'm hoping the PC version of MW2 fails unless they plan on adding dedicated servers back. But then again they might just attribute it to "piracy" which I wouldn't be surprised about xD

I was really thinking about purchasing the game before but I think I'll just wait until the price is dropped to ~$30 instead.

Was 34K about 6 hrs ago.

Nice one.

It's over 50k now, that's still a substantial number when you factor in that some people will be just jumping on the band wagon.

Looks like am am going to get bad company 2 for pc instead :)

Sad how IW managed to fail so bad, everyone is already in love with them and ready to gobble up any game they release, modern warfare 2 has been being hyped as the best new thing since sliced bread, and they come out and completly obliterate the pc multiplayer system right before release.

could somone tell me if four people on one console can play online against other people?

similar to halo multiplayer.

where as the last modern warfare would be similar to gears of war multiplayer.

could somone tell me if four people on one console can play online against other people?

similar to halo multiplayer.

where as the last modern warfare would be similar to gears of war multiplayer.

nope

If only IW or Activision could release a statement to let the community know exactly how this changes things and whether or not they are considering adding Dedicated Servers in a later patch. Guess they need to see a thread on their forums hit 400+ pages before they say something huh?

Looking at FourZeroTwo's list of games, am I reading to much in to it if PC games are at the bottom and a list smaller than his Wii games?

If only IW or Activision could release a statement to let the community know exactly how this changes things and whether or not they are considering adding Dedicated Servers in a later patch. Guess they need to see a thread on their forums hit 400+ pages before they say something huh?

Looking at FourZeroTwo's list of games, am I reading to much in to it if PC games are at the bottom and a list smaller than his Wii games?

Maybe he's just not as much of a fan of the PC as other formats personally. Just because he himself doesn't have a large PC game collection, in theory, shouldn't affect his decisions on how he develops his games, there's a difference between social and business. Or you'd like to think so.

Also, he doesn't have TF2. He needs it.

Maybe he's just not as much of a fan of the PC as other formats personally. Just because he himself doesn't have a large PC game collection, in theory, shouldn't affect his decisions on how he develops his games, there's a difference between social and business. Or you'd like to think so.

Also, he doesn't have TF2. He needs it.

lol, good point Chase. Just over-reaction on my part to this news.

Did I hear correctly that Battlefield 2: Bad Company 2 has both dedicated servers and matchmaking similar to IW.net/consoles do?

If that's the case... IW just needs to come out and say they'll do both. Leave matchmaking for instant action and then let others use the tried and true dedicated server route.

So Activision or IW havn't said anything officially yet?

I know all this crap happened over the weekend, but surely they could say something today. (not like they're working on the game... but maybe dlc nonsense :p)