Girl Gets Flu Shot - Now She Can Only Walk Backwards

Another +10 points to the media for once again blowing something out of proportion without having any real evidence.

And an extra +5 point for the hypocrisy of the media for first using the swine flu to cause mass hysteria, only to turn around and cause mass hysteria over the vaccination.

You can read it for yourself, and the associated references. So, if it is as you said, and the swine flu vaccine will be as useful as the seasonal flu, I'd say that ain't a whole hell of a lot. So again, why should a perfectly healthy person receive the vaccine?

You are grasping at two different concepts and trying to pull them together but it doesn't work.

The benefits of seasonal vaccinations are small because it is highly dependent on the experts choosing the correct strains to immunize against. Vaccines are highly efficacious on the targeted strains themselves ("vaccines show high efficacy against the targeted strains"). This claim of low effectiveness overall is based on the assumption they they won't pick the right strains or that other strains will fill in the gaps. Still, one has to remember that these benefits are compared to doing nothing.

Now, if you are trying to tie this logic to H1N1 then it all breaks down. Since vaccines show "high efficacy against the targeted strains" then the H1N1 vaccine can be expected to be highly efficient leading to a much greater overall/community effectiveness relative to the seasonal flu vaccine. And that is just all the more reason to get the H1N1 vaccine.

The answer to your last question is the same as it always has been. Healthy people should get it to protect the people they care about. If you don't care about anyone else then by all means don't take it but it makes no sense to tell others not to get it unless you simply wish to justify your own decision.

I do not think it is grasping at straws. You have failed to provide a single shred of evidence supporting a valid reason for healthy individuals to be vaccinated, instead opting for the "your nan will die if you don't" or "your loved ones will thank you"approach, serously could you be any more blatant.. The vaccines are approved based on the performance of the seasonal flu vaccine (some of which have been h1n1 candidates), and their effectiveness is anticipated to be roughly the same, as are the side effects ect ect ect you can't have it both ways. Either they're effective or they are not (not as it would seem). The seasonal flu vaccine is useless for anyone other than the ill and elderly, why would the swine flu vaccine be any different, it too is just guesswork. That fact is that neither you nor any of the pharma fanboys have show why the healthy should be vaccinated, and what is worse is that you play the guilt card in an attempt to sway the stupid to your side. "Do it because it is your civic duty". Call me when it's mandatory, otherwise I couldn't care less.

What really sucks is that you cannot just say people should decide for themselves, you do not seem to be able to admit that there is no reason for the vast majority to be concerned about h1n1. Instead you're just a voluntary part of the agenda spouting the same old scaremongering crap. You have more in common with the likes of Alex Jones that you realise.

What's it like being a shill anyway?

Edited by O.G

I do not think it is grasping at straws. You have failed to provide a single shred of evidence supporting a valid reason for healthy individuals to be vaccinated, instead opting for the "your nan will die if you don't" or "your loved ones will thank you"approach, serously could you be any more blatant.. The vaccines are approved based on the performance of the seasonal flu vaccine (some of which have been h1n1 candidates), and their effectiveness is anticipated to be roughly the same, as are the side effects ect ect ect you can't have it both ways. Either they're effective or they are not (not as it would seem). The seasonal flu vaccine is useless for anyone other than the ill and elderly, why would the swine flu vaccine be any different, it too is just guesswork. That fact is that neither you nor any of the pharma fanboys have show why the healthy should be vaccinated, and what is worse is that you play the guilt card in an attempt to sway the stupid to your side. "Do it because it is your civic duty". Call me when it's mandatory, otherwise I couldn't care less.

What really sucks is that you cannot just say people should decide for themselves, you do not seem to be able to admit that there is no reason for the vast majority to be concerned about h1n1. Instead you're just a voluntary part of the agenda spouting the same old scaremongering crap. You have more in common with the likes of Alex Jones that you realise.

What's it like being a shill anyway?

I believe one of the reason healthy people should get vaccinated is because of herd immunity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herd_immunity

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_...ass_vaccination

I saw that to lol sorry its just a bit funny

There is nothing funny about having a perfectly normal life and all of the sudden see your life go down the drain because of some medical vaccine designed to protect you.

There is nothing funny about having a perfectly normal life and all of the sudden see your life go down the drain because of some medical vaccine designed to protect you.

There is no ****ing link to the flu vaccine giving her this condition.

please my friend learn to read before you post. im not even talking about that.

if you had bothered to read you would have saw i was saying this was funny

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_...ass_vaccination

the way it was shortened for this website

teh funnay flew over your head

There is no ****ing link to the flu vaccine giving her this condition.

I believe she may have incurred Guillain-Barr? Syndrome: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guillain%E2%8...%C3%A9_syndrome.

Here's all the pros/cons of the flu-vaccine accroding to the CDC. The con (contraindication) Guillian-Barre Syndrome is mentionned about 1/4 or 1/5 of the way down the page.

Its a good article to read if you want mor information about flu vaccines in general.

I believe she may have incurred Guillain-Barr? Syndrome

You believe this why? Because it's the scary thing that flu vaccines can trigger, right? That's the only reason, right? It has to be, because none of the segments or articles about her say anything about it, nor are there symptoms anything like GBS.

ill pass on the h1n1 shot but i did get my regular flu shot. i basically got sick for 4 weeks after, never again.

That's what the girl in the story got.. the regular old flu shot.

someone posted a video on you tube with the news report, and the backing track to some rap song. it was ridiculously cold hearted, but scarily her condition was in perfect sync with the music.

should someone who is 16 get it you think?

I mean I have never got a flu shot before. and im fine

Something to think about: H1N1, although demonstrated to be not be any less/more virulent than the seasonal flu strains that go around, seems to primarily affect "low risk" people (i.e. - those under 40 years of age). The mortality rate for that group (especially adolescents) is much higher than normal. The H1N1 strain is very odd and caught everyone off guard - especially because it appeared at the end of the flu season and then again 2 months before the flu season started. Symptoms are usually mild - headache and sniffles, etc. However, in some individuals the symptoms are more severe requiring hospitalizations. Another oddity is that pre-existing conditions don't seem to be a factor in those who have died from H1N1.

There are obviously side effects to the vaccine, including developing flu-like symptoms from it. Just remember to be concious of those who surround you, cover your cough into your elbow (not on your hands) and wash your hands/sanitize. It is likely most people will come into contact with the virus but most will have very mild symptoms.

Edited by Pharm88

You cannot get the flu from a flu vaccine. I think that's fairly important to point out, since it might scare people.

Uh, yes you can, my mother gets it every year, after every flu shot, she's got the flu for a week... the flu vaccine is essentially the influenza virus.

Just to note, if this was seasonal flu shot, that's part of the problem... if she's a healthy 26-year old, she shouldn't have gotten the flu shot, that's for people who otherwise would have trouble fighting it off (old people, people with respiratory problems, school children, etc.). A healthy 26-year old should be able to fight it off with some nyquil and vitamins.