Windows Live Essentials 'beta' out now!

GOOD NEWS! Facebook update works! Just got up this morning and change my live status... Checked Facebook and there it is. Sent via Windows Live Messenger :D

it worked last night for me, but ive just tested this again at 9:15am and it doesnt appear to be working again

I was having the same problem after installing the beta, so I cleaned my cache using ccleaner and its working fine now.

Sorry but, didn't work too.

My updates that I do in WLM also update in fb since sunday... so it has been 3 days already for me and it works. I love the "via Windows Live Messenger" hehe

Is there any way to disable the "social" panel on the left? I don't use either facebook, myspace or any other social network and I really don't have use for it.. THe layout is AWFUL in my opinion, reverting back to previous version or better yet, Pidgin :)

Is there any way to disable the "social" panel on the left? I don't use either facebook, myspace or any other social network and I really don't have use for it.. THe layout is AWFUL in my opinion, reverting back to previous version or better yet, Pidgin :)

There's an icon in the top-right to close the Social Pane, but tbh, if you don't "do" social networking then this version of WLM offers very little over the previous one.

I found solution to big cpu usage in WLPG, go to options and disable face recognization, this was the reason of this problem :D

It seemed rather obvious. Face rec. is awesome though, and once it's gone through your library it'll stop using cpu. except right as you import new photos.

but tbh, if you don't "do" social networking then this version of WLM offers very little over the previous one.

People may as well get used to it now, as it will be a forced upgrade at some point.

People may as well get used to it now, as it will be a forced upgrade at some point.

For everyone on Vista SP2 and 7 anyway.

what's is really nice is the integration of live sync(ex -name mesh) and the skydrive.

They are not really integrated. The only integration between these services is "View synced folders" link on the SkyDrive main page. Storage is separated, you can't copy or move files between SkyDrive and synced folders and you can't edit synced files in Web Office.

For everyone on Vista SP2 and 7 anyway.

Lol. How so? True that it only runs on Vista and 7, but I can't find anywhere where it says that you won't be able to use WLM14 instead. Heck, for XP users it's not even an option. So I'd like to see where Microsoft indicated that to use Messenger on Vista and 7 you must use the latest version.

Lol. How so? True that it only runs on Vista and 7, but I can't find anywhere where it says that you won't be able to use WLM14 instead. Heck, for XP users it's not even an option. So I'd like to see where Microsoft indicated that to use Messenger on Vista and 7 you must use the latest version.

No, I meant everyone on 7 and Vista SP2 will be forced to Upgrade. XP and SP1 can use the old version fine as long as they want.

No, I meant everyone on 7 and Vista SP2 will be forced to Upgrade. XP and SP1 can use the old version fine as long as they want.

Again, how so? I've read nothing about forcing Vista and 7 users to use the latest version. Stands to reason that if XP users can only use WLM 14, then Vista/7 users can too. Do you have a link to a statement from Microsoft contrary to this?

I think it was mentioned in the release that it will only support Vista up, XP will not be supported I think

I had this annoying error on my laptop. Try manually enabling the Windows Firewall service via services.msc. Install the software then disable it afterwards.

Seems the installer is looking for this, no idea why :wacko:

That worked! Thank you very much!

We got better troubleshooting than MS himself :D

Wish MS would stop moving everything to the Web... To change your name... You have to use the Web Inferface... Now even to change contact details! (Like add phone numbers etc) instead of doing it in app, you have to go to the Live Site...

Although the ads in Messenger are already ridiculous (yes, yes, it's free, but it ain't like Microsoft is almost bankrupt or something, and still, they got Windows, Office and the Windows Live Web Services), but now I also just received a pop up which asks to set Bing as the default search engine and MSN as the homepage, with them all of course already selected. It's just too much.

Wish MS would stop moving everything to the Web... To change your name... You have to use the Web Inferface... Now even to change contact details! (Like add phone numbers etc) instead of doing it in app, you have to go to the Live Site...

Do you not think it's best for them to just have one place to edit settings which are shown across the whole of Windows Live? Especially for idiotic users which make up most of the 'average user' group.

Although the ads in Messenger are already ridiculous (yes, yes, it's free, but it ain't like Microsoft is almost bankrupt or something, and still, they got Windows, Office and the Windows Live Web Services), but now I also just received a pop up which asks to set Bing as the default search engine and MSN as the homepage, with them all of course already selected. It's just too much.

I can understand why you'd find ads annoying but the pop-up suggesting you change your search engine and home page? A lot of people will not think to change those to what Microsoft suggest so it's good promotion and you can always just cancel it, selecting the option you currently have or desire. Plus... it only comes up once. My gosh, some people really do complain.

I can understand why you'd find ads annoying but the pop-up suggesting you change your search engine and home page? A lot of people will not think to change those to what Microsoft suggest so it's good promotion and you can always just cancel it, selecting the option you currently have or desire. Plus... it only comes up once. My gosh, some people really do complain.

It's in the face nagging (although it's good to know it only shows up once). I don't like it, and they already pushed it at the end of the Windows Live installation (and come on, these settings are IE defaults, maybe I changed them for a reason...)

has anyone found an offline installer yet?

i doubt there will be one, microsoft seems to be slowly weening them out

For those asking about an offline installer, you can retreive the msi installer files after you have installed the suite. These are located...

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Windows Live\.cache\*\