Windows Live Essentials 'beta' out now!

Wish MS would stop moving everything to the Web... To change your name... You have to use the Web Inferface... Now even to change contact details! (Like add phone numbers etc) instead of doing it in app, you have to go to the Live Site...

I hope they add back some sort of "Nickname" functionality simply for WLM. Sometimes I really want to come up with something unique for my display name, but keep everything else the same across WL.

Anyone else not able to connect facebook to it ? I tried but it comes up with a blank box ...

also ... my contacts can't all talk to me :/ Seems even tho they how as online, I can't get talking to them ... going back to old Messenger works fine :/

Had enough, been using the beta on/off since it was released. Complete shambles of a beta. Went back to the older version. Mail and Messenger finally work correctly.

This is probably the worst messenger version microsoft has come up so far. :(

Care to give reasons?

I think it's the best, mainly due to the new social pane and other social features, the animations and the removal of custom display names.

If you don't like something in the public beta send constructive feedback to them, that is why they run a beta to gain feedback on a product before release. Should enough people complain they do take action to correct them.

Care to give reasons?

I think it's the best, mainly due to the new social pane and other social features, the animations and the removal of custom display names.

What if we want to have the choice of custom display names?

In the past versions if you didnt like display names you could add a custom name to each one of your contacts, everyone happy.

I would like to try the 'β', however I cannot get it to install.

I downloaded it from a legit source, (Microsoft) so that should not be an influence that inhibits an install.

I would like to try the 'β', however I cannot get it to install.

I downloaded it from a legit source, (Microsoft) so that should not be an influence that inhibits an install.

Can you descirbe the error that happens when you try to install it. If it doesn't install I might suggest that you delete all evidence of Windows Live programs being on your computer.

@Pallab

To quote myself....

For those asking about an offline installer, you can retreive the msi installer files after you have installed the suite. These are located...

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Windows Live\.cache\*\

wtf, i just noticed the removal of custom display names cuz of your post.

Thats horrible, they better put that back in on final. Almost makes it worth not using.

Why would they even expect me to want my full normal name to be displayed? That's crap.

Although i was already using my real name anyway, i think removing display names was a little too harsh. They could limit the number of characters and block certain characters to get rid of those annoying tags that look ridiculous to anyone without plus. :blink:

I don't mind the change, but many people will be mad.

Hm, the only problem with that I have with Live Messenger is that it doesn't close itself correctly. Each time I have to get into taskmanager and kill it.

Hm, the only problem with that I have with Live Messenger is that it doesn't close itself correctly. Each time I have to get into taskmanager and kill it.

Same here, just noticed i have 3 instances of "msnmsgr.exe" :whistle:

^I noticed it when I had closed it and later wanted to start it up again. It would instantly sign me in instead of showing me the sign in dialog. I hope this is going to get fixed once Wave 4 goes final :p

For those with multiple instances of msnmsgr.exe do you have apatch with the polygamy setting applied by any chance?

For those with multiple instances of msnmsgr.exe do you have apatch with the polygamy setting applied by any chance?

I used A-patch but not the polygamy setting

I've used it to patch away the ads but haven't enabled polygamy :)

My messenger (this version) shows 0 online contacts nowadays, not sure why.. It was working great before and I didn't apply the a-patch, it's the beta vanilla version. Now switching to meebo.com again at home til there is another update

I've found that this usually occurs when contacts have recently gone offline but were on your online list only a few minutes before, therefore it doesn't update the list properly. It's fixable I believe my collapsing the list and then opening again, which isn't very convenient though.

Not sure whether it's already been mentioned, but I've also discovered another bug where you cannot talk to people when you're appearing offline? If this is deliberate, I'm not happy..although I don't think this happens all the time so..

I've found that this usually occurs when contacts have recently gone offline but were on your online list only a few minutes before, therefore it doesn't update the list properly. It's fixable I believe my collapsing the list and then opening again, which isn't very convenient though.

Not sure whether it's already been mentioned, but I've also discovered another bug where you cannot talk to people when you're appearing offline? If this is deliberate, I'm not happy..although I don't think this happens all the time so..

Yeah well, collapsing doesn't fix the issue. And on the appearing offline msging -- i also got that bug, I can't talk to anyone when I'm appearing offline, I hope this is not intended on the new messenger because then it's gonna suck very bad.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there ! I used the leaked versions of wave 4 and I had those great fade in animations you see in the messenger social view. On my laptop, don't see these anymore, but my girlfreinds laptop and my desktop uses it. What the hell happend ? I had this and I can't have it anymore ? Is it a bug or something ? I reinstalled windows yesterday but still nothing. Could be related to my intel x3100 ( dx10 capable ), but my girlfriend has an x4500...

Is there a way to turn those effects on ? Anyone else having this ?