Mass. Town Will NOW Let Students Recite Pledge of Allegiance

not really, I havnt seen you contriubte a damn thing to the thread. at least darth was posting useful stuff

You consider a picture of a baby useful? O.o

Like i said earlier if it was such a big issue he could of got everyone up to sign a petition.If he's not religious thats fine, i'm not religious either but id sit through it if everyone else did.

It swings both ways - if he did a petition, he'd be viewed as someone trying to upset the cart and annoy the entire religious community present. Doing it alone minimises that disruption.

I did the same, sitting through it all at a (reasonably) private religious school in the UK. I never went so far as to try to skip it, as it was the school assembly. However, I did stop praying along and singing the stupider hymns in the end as I became more confident in myself as an independent free-thinking person.

Period, no exceptions, Anyone refusing to recite the pledge of allegiance should be viewed with the utmost suspicion.

Echoes of the insane Red Scare abound...

You consider a picture of a baby useful? O.o

my point exactly, you didnt even bother reading ANYTHING you looked at one damn post and judge him.

I will add my two cents, given that this subject is purely subjective and a matter of opinion I will throw my two cents in and leave. They should be forced to recite the pledge. Period, no exceptions, Anyone refusing to recite the pledge of allegiance should be viewed with the utmost suspicion.

Hello. How do you enjoy living in the McCarthy era?

The posts of some of you overly patriotic USians in this thread are facepalm-worthy. That's all I'm going to say.

The posts of some of you overly patriotic USians in this thread are facepalm-worthy. That's all I'm going to say.

use a correct term. not Usians.

and I hope your not calling me overly patriotic because I think we should recite our pledge.

Way to single out one post out of many...

One could question if any of your posts in this thread are useful, However...

At least I don't go around misquoting things and passing them off as facts, nor am I using old memes to mock other people and call definitions wrong just so I can justify doing it. The fact this topic is about schools just makes it even funnier.

One could question if any of your posts in this thread are useful, However...

At least I don't go around misquoting things and passing them off as facts, nor am I using old memes to mock other people and call definitions wrong just so I can justify doing it. The fact this topic is about schools just makes it even funnier.

as I stated before, I find his post useful.

your still trolling. one could not argue if your posts are useful, as they arent they contribute absoulutly nothing to this thread

use a correct term. not Usians.

and I hope your not calling me overly patriotic because I think we should recite our pledge.

Why yes, I am calling anyone insisting on pledging allegiance to a country overly patriotic.

And I shall continue to use the term USians.

Well considering that you live in the EU and pretty much lost all your countries individualism i can understand where you are coming from.

Why yes, I am calling anyone insisting on pledging allegiance to a country overly patriotic.

and I think anyone who refuses to pledge there allegiance should GTFO.

and you calling us USians just shows your ignorance.

Refusing to say the pledge of allegiance by definition shows disloyalty to the United States. Call it McCarthyism I don't care. If you cannot recite the pledge because you plain refuse to you must be looked at in suspicion.

Way to single out one post out of many...

Well, it was the one I was responding to.

Well considering that you live in the EU and pretty much lost all your countries individualism i can understand where you are coming from.

Erm, wouldn't that make us the ones more annoyed about it ... if it was actually a terrible, terrible world we lived in over here.

Oh, no, wait ... it's not. It's actually quite pleasant really. Lots of flags out in the EU atm due to the footie, but once that's over, we mostly go back to being normal, non-obsessive patriotic people. It probably helps that our countries have so many borders - shows us that Johnny Foreigner is not so different, nor from a strange, scary country. Thus we don't feel so protective of our own. Yes, we sometimes despair at the EU, but in general it's a force for good. Hell, our EU is in some aspect like your US. God forbid I suggest the US states lost their individualism.

and you calling us USians just shows your ignorance.

He's doing it on purpose. No ignorance there.

Refusing to say the pledge of allegiance by definition shows disloyalty to the United States. Call it McCarthyism I don't care. If you cannot recite the pledge because you plain refuse to you must be looked at in suspicion.

Suspicion of being what? Some kind of potential terrorist?

Posted what twice? that picture? no i didn't go back and look through and look for yourself.

I saw a crying baby twice, I know I did. I'm not sure if it was the same one or not, but you've edited one of them if only one exists now.

as I stated before, I find his post useful.

your still trolling. one could not argue if your posts are useful, as they arent they contribute absoulutly nothing to this thread

Just because you find it useful does not make it so for others.

now I guess you want me to contribute?

Just because the dude was forced into a public religious school does not mean he should be force fed it, I bet he wasn't the only one who disliked it, but he managed to avoid it, is that not smart? Insulting it however wasn't the brightest idea however.

As for the topic, Just because you want to waste time singing about the place we live in does not mean everyone else does, I do not feel the need to sing for the place I live, The fact I live here shows I care enough to stick around.

It is possible to be loyal to the country you happen to have been born in without having to pledge allegiance to it every. Single. Day.

In my not so humble opinion a vast majority of you USians is still stuck in a 19th century mentality. It's high time for you to get with the times.

Pledging loyalty is the least of things one can do for his country. He could take it farther and get into politics or join the military, but pledging is the least of things. If you cannot even make a simple pledge to your country, you might as well be useless.

I saw a crying baby twice, I know I did. I'm not sure if it was the same one or not, but you've edited one of them if only one exists now.

(I only saw one, but one is well enough ... let's move on).

Why do you need flags in your classroom?

Never had any Union Flags or St George's Crosses in the classrooms when I was at school

Well, it would only happen in America..

It is possible to be loyal to the country you happen to have been born in without having to pledge allegiance to it every. Single. Day.

In my not so humble opinion a vast majority of you USians is still stuck in a 19th century mentality. It's high time for you to get with the times.

Really? I thought the point of this article was that they couldn't find a teacher willing to recite it at ALL. Big difference their.

Stop with that non sense. Provide an adequate argument as to why him not being forced into religious classes makes the world fall apart or just quit arguing in here. You're making yourself look childish.

Congrats. You presented a strawman to what his argument was:

You don't get it, the world doesn't evolve around you. Sometimes you have to put up with the sh*t, you shouldn't have gotten the free pass, you're no more special than the dozen's of other kid's that had to go through the same thing.Im pretty sure that England isn't as religious as it once was so im certain there were more kids like you that had to go through the same thing but did they cry about it? No

In fact he never argued for what you claim he argued, this post previously before:

Hmmm maybe respect towards other religion's, which you seem to lack. Why should I pay taxes, why should I respect the law?? Should i stop paying taxes and start going on mass shooting spree's just because i don't want to do what other people do?

This post doesn't claim that things will fall apart, but that rather people cannot just decide to do any thing they choose to do and not expect some sort of repercussions for it. A person cannot just decide to not pay taxes without repercussion. Similarly, a person understands he cannot kill people and not expect to go to jail if caught. There are limits to what a person can and cannot do. We work within those limits and it is wrong to expect those limits to change based on our personal fancies.

Really? I thought the point of this article was that they couldn't find a teacher willing to recite it at ALL. Big difference their.

Well let me rephrase it then: There is no reason whatsoever to pledge allegiance to a country you have been born in by pure chance at all. You can still be loyal to a country without doing so.