Sparrow (Mail Alternative)

Hmm, my concerns with Mail 5 is that the new "threaded" conversation feature is not going to be smart enough for my uses...

I often send/receive emails every day that contain the same subject line (e.g. "Updates") and every "new" message (aka, the one without a RE: or FW:) is technically a new thread. Right now, Mail 4 is not smart enough to separate these and it highlights all of them as similar messages in a thread.

It doesn't bother me now though because it's not going to lump them together in a conversation window. I'm concerned that Mail 5 will just get annoying about it, but I guess I'll just have to find out when I upgrade.

As for Sparrow not releasing a demo version of their beta for users to try out? I think that has more to do with Apple than anything. They probably got swept up in the App Store hype so they did not feel the need to post their bundles on their own website. Leaving it App Store exclusive means they can't really officially support a demo version without releasing one of those truly useless "Lite" versions as a separate app, which would dilute their efforts to get people to buy their final version since it's labelled as a separate app (a big fault on Apple's part, IMO). But yeah, if they really wanted to they could have released a version on their website. Who knows, maybe they had a deal with Apple to be App Store exclusive so they get on the Featured Downloads page...

The checkbox? No. All the extra coding necessary for this, yes. Actually this has me more concerned by Mail?s developers than by the users.

You calling this "bloat" is purely psychological and doesn't hold any ground when looking at the actual situation:

? No performance hit

? Mail 5's file size has been reduced by 1,3 MB

? Impact on the interface has been limited to a single checkbox in Preferences.

You really don't have much to work with here trying to proof Mail 5 has now suddenly become "bloated" because it features an additional view mode. It's complaining for the sake of complaining as it currently doesn't present any drawbacks.

If, for every single application, we had a checkbox to revert to the old style interface, they would never be done with it. Plus, if we have it for one specific application only, doesn?t it break the OS? consistency a bit?

We're talking about having the choice between two different view modes of how email messages are being displayed, how does that break consistency? Does the Finder break consistency because we have a choice between icon, column, list view and Cover Flow? I don't think so.

Why not add a checkbox in System Preferences to reenable Snow Leopard?s Aqua elements, while we?re at it?

Which isn't remotely the same thing as the impact of that could be potentially huge for third-party developers, overall consistency and not to mention the fact the amount of extra files being added isn't comparable to what we're talking about in Mail 5.

You calling this "bloat" is purely psychological and doesn't hold any ground when looking at the actual situation:

? No performance hit

? Mail 5's file size has been reduced by 1,3 MB

? Impact on the interface has been limited to a single checkbox in Preferences.

I never expected the option to have so many thousands of code that it would take 10MB. What?s your point?

Why is the option in the Preferences and not in the "View" menu?

Even with your arguments, that STILL has me wondering if it?ll make it to the final. I can?t wait to see.

Looks nice, but it does not have RSS/Atom support, which now is getting quite important for me. That means I still would be going back to Mail just to check RSS/Atoms feeds. There is no migration from Mail to Sparrow? That's a really missing feature. There is no combined mailbox feature. What if I have 10 mailboxes? Should I keep pressing on those mail icons to switch? This is not that convenient.

This is very impressive mail client, I tried Mail 5 on VMWare (yeah, illegal, but I wanted to check) and I think I would stick with Mail 5 unless they bring more features to Sparrow.

Sparrow definitely is number two in my list.

As much as I enjoyed Sparrow throughout the beta, I won't be purchasing. Mail 5 is just around the corner (and AWESOME), and it just felt like that the final polish was missing.

If I had $10 to spare I would, but I'm pretty broke.

I never expected the option to have so many thousands of code that it would take 10MB. What?s your point?

My point is that you calling Mail 5 bloated because it features an extra view mode is complete and utter nonsense for the reasons stated above.

Why is the option in the Preferences and not in the "View" menu?

How should I know? From the top of my head Apple placed the preference under Preferences > Viewing.

Even with your arguments, that STILL has me wondering if it?ll make it to the final. I can?t wait to see.

My arguments had nothing to do with that, they were purely direct at you calling Mail 5 bloated. Personally I don't really care as I'll be using the new layout.

My arguments had nothing to do with that, they were purely direct at you calling Mail 5 bloated. Personally I don't really care as I'll be using the new layout.

Me too. I have a widescreen monitor, like every Mac supported by Lion. It makes sense to have a 3 columns application now. Even on an old monitor it looks much better.

I don?t know if Apple collects their users Preferences during the development of a new product, but it could be an idea to see if they have to include it or not.

My arguments had nothing to do with that, they were purely direct at you calling Mail 5 bloated.

You misunderstood me, one more time. I?m starting if you?re doing that in every thread on purpose just to nag me, or if you really thought I said that.

In fact, I?ve never said "Mail 5 was bloated", I said "this option is bloat". Mail 5 is far from being bloated.

Me too. I have a widescreen monitor, like every Mac supported by Lion. It makes sense to have a 3 columns application now. Even on an old monitor it looks much better.

I honestly don't get why Apple waited this long in the first place. All Macs have had widescreen monitors for years now. Just before I switched to Mac OS X full time I was using Outlook 2003 which already had a three column look. :/

I think the mail 5 client does look like a huge improvement, I still love Sparrow, I'll have always paid for it, so I've supported them. I could switch to Mail 5 though, after looking at those screenshots. Looks very nice!