Dumb Dad won't let me have XP

God my dad is such a n00:(:( i might just buy my own computer or even swap the hard drives over when hes not looking... dual boot is out of the question if i cannot find a more discrete way to do it :-\

Don't buy a new computer. Build one. You will get a much better quality system than you will get with an OEM computer. It may very well cost you less too(less money for a better quality system...you do the math). ;P

My father is a complete retard when it comes to computers. We've had computers in our house for a better part of a decade, and he still has no idea how to work one. He actually can't turn a computer on. Its pretty sad. Why don't you just dual boot?

Speaking of dual booting... is there not a keypress i could do instead of chosing from a list.... i cud put the xp hard drive on slave... do u think what would work? :confused:

use a boot disk. and format xp drive in ntfs so winme cant see it.

i am not alone then, hehe.

i wanna dual boot but i get a list to chose from when the computer boots up.... and i dont want that to happen is there anyother way i could do it?

i wanna dual boot but i get a list to chose from when the computer boots up.... and i dont want that to happen is there anyother way i could do it?

u can change the time that shows it. try to make it as short as possible to react for u.also what is fun: put linux on it hihihih

Edit the boot.ini file.... another suggestion:

You could change the list to say :

Windows ME

Windows ME (backup)

Where "Windows ME (backup)" is actually windows XP renamed :D

u can change the time that shows it. try to make it as short as possible to react for u.also what is fun: put linux on it hihihih

You can freak some people out by booting from a Linux Live CD.

How can i boot my xp hard drive from a floppy then?

i did this before: if you copy these files to a floppy, you will be able to boot into 2000/xp from the floppy. you can then modify the boot.ini file on your computer and remove the reference to the xp partition. the partition will be completely hidden from windows me and you'll need the floppy to boot into xp.

boot.ini

ntldr

ntdetect.com

you might one or more of need these. test the disk before you change the boot.ini file on your computer.

msdos.sys

config.sys

io.sys

autoexec.bat

edit: read this page, it explains what i am explaining. you only need the first three files i listed above UNLESS some software you use requires one of the last 4 files. also, if you want the boot disk to be able to load windows me, copy the bootsect.dos file to the floppy too.

http://www.xxcopy.com/xxcopy33.htm

I have a great Idea.....INSTALL LINUX ON THE PC then see what your dad does lol.......he'll really be lost then.

XP is so much better then ME is its not even funny. I don't know what Microsoft was thinking when they released tthat buggy piece of crap they try to call an OS. Good luck with it.

I don't know what Microsoft was thinking when they released tthat buggy piece of crap they try to call an OS. Good luck with it.

i don't know what microsoft was thinking when they released 95 or 98 or ME, they all suck. They had NT when they did 95, should have just been NT the whole way.

i don't know what microsoft was thinking when they released 95 or 98 or ME, they all suck. They had NT when they did 95, should have just been NT the whole way.

9x for Home, NT for Work-places. That's what Microsoft was thinking. :ninja:

because xp would wreck the "guts" of my computer.... sheesh what an idiot....

HAHA! Thats the funniest thing I've heard in a while, thanks...

Some people are so stubborn and so scared to change things... its pretty sad, I've had many a similar experiences...

Good luck.. hope he wakes up from his blinding stubborness soon ;)

If he simply won't compromise, suggest to get Win2K. Its about as stable as XP, just without so much eyecandy. Its a mature OS, with 4 service packs out already... And as already suggested, its easy enough to make XP look very much like ME, to the point where a n00b couldn't distinguish the two.

Or...tell him to get an iMac. "They're computers especially made for idi-...errr, adults."