Dumb Dad won't let me have XP

lol... thanks for all your support ive just created a new partition on my hard drive to install xp now.... so he can keep ME and i can use XP... once hes had a taste of XP he will not wanna go back.... 50_50.gif

don't ask for a thread to be closed unless it's out of control. you never know when someone will post some info you actually need, and it's not hurting anything to leave it open :p

tell ur dad that he has to wake up and small the coffie of the ever changing world of pc.

my dad did, when i upgraded my pc to a p4 2.4ghz i installed xp on it and my dad sorta liked it and when we came to do his pc (my old 1.2ghz celeron) he brought a new hard drive and he installed xp and ever since like march no problems what so ever. to make it better for him in his sadly 42years of age i put the classic theme on with classic start bar and control panel, and my dad said to me this is SO much better then xp and installing hard ware and software is easyer and quicker. i sorta told him the new stuff in xp he needed to know such as admin tools and the ease of installing hardware and after i told him it was soooo easy to use.

tell ur dad this cause it so true.

once my dad has had a taste of xp he never missed 98se.

xp is on my system, i've had hardly no problems just simple littles ones that got solved within mins

also ME i had it when it crashed like 5 times in a day i put 98se on it as it was more stable(yes older OS stabler then a new one). this is not a joke once in ME i moved the mouse and i had a blue screen

I have windows xp now on my slave hard drive... :yes:

thanks for all your help (and sorry for me wanting to close this thread lol)

HAVE A GLASS OF CHAMPAGNE! Champers all around :D

:woot:

seriously though, its his choice to do what he wants with it because its :o his computer. His house, his rules and if you don't like it save up and get your own computer.

geez kids these days, I remember asking my dad if I could install stuff on his computer before I went ahead and did it, and if he didn't like it I took it off, not sat around bitching about it and calling him stupid, whats wrong with you

No freaking joke.

Instead of calling him stupid or a dumb ass maybe try talking to him and if he says no then relize that no means no. Its his computer not yours.

ah what is wrong with the youth of today.

seriously though, its his choice to do what he wants with it because its :o his computer. His house, his rules and if you don't like it save up and get your own computer.

geez kids these days, I remember asking my dad if I could install stuff on his computer before I went ahead and did it, and if he didn't like it I took it off, not sat around bitching about it and calling him stupid, whats wrong with you

No freaking joke.

Instead of calling him stupid or a dumb ass maybe try talking to him and if he says no then relize that no means no. Its his computer not yours.

you guys MUST be parents, or someone that really understands them :alien:

it's not hard to understand "parents" :huh: (like they're a different species) :laugh:

get a job, start realizing how much things cost, don't be so generous with your things, and you'll see what a parent thinks when they look at a computer as a 1500 dollar piece of electronics that their kids use as a big toy, and they're so paranoid that they think nearly anything will make it break...

I am a parent, and if my kid talk about me the way you are now, he would have no computer.

But anyways, I can understand your fustration, but not everyone understands the workings of a computer. Since you do, you need to help teach him. If he is stubborn as you say, then seems like a lack of respect to listen between a father and son. That is only my take, but honestly, if you talk and or act the way you are on this board twards him, you will get nowhere fast. Keep it cool, and be serious to him, take it slow, and help him understand it.

may i make a sugestion show him this page microsoft system requirments for windows xp and if he says it will not run on the computer still after looking at this then ask him why microsoft would post something like that on the website or even go so far as to show him the box were it has the system requirments on it

me is the bigest memory eater actually by installing xp your computer will run faster (something im sure you knew).

Or better yet "lose" your me install disk(s), get some worm or virus that will cause sporatic rebooting (had that once oh the fun) and then when you cant use the computer at all wait untill he goes to use the computer and say well you got to install xp since you cant find the me disk and there will be no choice but to run xp

Well you see.. Radish.. he run 266mhz.. xp .. haha.. tell Radish to phone your dad..

well.. parents are either 2 ways...

SMART @ computers

or

DUMB @ computers

my mom is the ... *erm* dumb *erm* one

My god your dad has to be one of the most amateur and STUPID!!! ppl out there I was running win 98SE on a 266Mhz w/ 128 ram and microsoft works 2002 and I upgraded to Windows XP and runs FASTER! and more STABLE!! make ur dad read this and see if u can find the upgrade reasons on microsoft's site they give good reasons

personally, I would tell your dad to throw your dumb ass out onto the street for being a rude little brat. Apparently, your dad has to smart to raise a little prick like you.

Someone need to teach you a little respect, regardless of your dad's willingness to move or migrate over. Now shut the hell up and live with ME or come up with better material to get him to switch.

God, I hate little whinny kid such as yourself.

LOL this thread keeps going...nice. But yeah, you are not respecting your parents by decieving them. I merely told you how it could be done. What you did is wrong wrong wrong.

But good job, hope things work out. :D

No freaking joke.

As a matter of fact I am. I am 20 years old and have a 2 year old son.

I have been living on my own since I was 15 so I learned very quickly that not one person in this world owes me anything and to respect other peoples property and there opinions.

Also one of the most important lesson I have learned is not to look down on people because they lack knowledge in a subject matter, because they probably know 10x more on a different subject then I do.

The whole point is this kid is upset because his dad told him no and we are all encouraging the fit that he was throwing. If for say it was one of our computers and he wanted to install something and you told him no (for whatever reason it might be) wouldn't you want him to respect that?

No freaking joke.

As a matter of fact I am. I am 20 years old and have a 2 year old son.

I have been living on my own since I was 15 so I learned very quickly that not one person in this world owes me anything and to respect other peoples property and there opinions.

Also one of the most important lesson I have learned is not to look down on people because they lack knowledge in a subject matter, because they probably know 10x more on a different subject then I do.

The whole point is this kid is upset because his dad told him no and we are all encouraging the fit that he was throwing. If for say it was one of our computers and he wanted to install something and you told him no (for whatever reason it might be) wouldn't you want him to respect that?

Well good 4 U. :p

I am a parent, and if my kid talk about me the way you are now, he would have no computer.

sometimes that kind of punishment doesnt work.

i'm 16... 2 months away from being 17... my parents can't do **** to me b/c they know it wont work. I would LOVE to see my dad try to take away my computer. I'd just permanantly lock him out of his (its my pc anyways, i paid for every single component, i can do what i damn well please with it), and my mom out of hers (90% of that pc came from parts that i bought). Don't get me wrong, i love my parents, they're great, they do everything for me, but seriously... they cant punish me.

personally, i dont think punishment ever works, as it just gets the kid angry with you and he/she is gonna do it over and over again till you get the point that he/she isn't affected by what you say. I just argue to the point where they give up.

oh and i have free riegn over all computers in my house, as i either:

a) built them or

b) repair/constantly fix them

If i were you i'd just ignore your dad and do it anyways.

NeoMayhem: My dad isnt that bad... he knows quite a bit, he actually advised me on which parts would be best to build my first computer (along with some websites).. But my mom is completely stupid on computers. To her, being 'online' is being in an internet browser, not the always-on broadband we have.

Edited by giantsnyy2002

a) built them or

Same here, and it makes me sick the type of dumb stuff they make me fix/show them :(

sometimes that kind of punishment doesnt work.

i'm 16... 2 months away from being 17... my parents can't do **** to me b/c they know it wont work. I would LOVE to see my dad try to take away my computer. I'd just permanantly lock him out of his (its my pc anyways, i paid for every single component, i can do what i damn well please with it), and my mom out of hers (90% of that pc came from parts that i bought). Don't get me wrong, i love my parents, they're great, they do everything for me, but seriously... they cant punish me.

personally, i dont think punishment ever works, as it just gets the kid angry with you and he/she is gonna do it over and over again till you get the point that he/she isn't affected by what you say. I just argue to the point where they give up.

a) built them or

If i were you i'd just ignore your dad and do it anyways.

NeoMayhem: My dad isnt that bad... he knows quite a bit, he actually advised me on which parts would be best to build my first computer (along with some websites).. But my mom is completely stupid on computers. To her, being 'online' is being in an internet browser, not the always-on broadband we have.

:laugh: When you have kids, I wanna see your frustration...