When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Here’s how it works.

A year after launch, Lollipop is on a quarter of active Android devices; Marshmallow on 0.3%

Google announced Android 5.0 Lollipop in October 2014, and its rollout began a few weeks later - one year ago, almost to the day. But twelve months after its release, the vast majority of active Android devices are still running versions of the OS far older than Lollipop.

Google posted its latest breakdown of platform usage this week, showing the proportion of active devices running each version of the Android OS. The data were collected during a seven-day period ending on November 2, and show that 15.5% of devices are now running version 5.0, with a further 10.1% on 5.1, giving a combined total of 25.6% of devices with Lollipop.

However, Android 4.4 KitKat still has the largest platform share, with 37.8% of devices, followed by 4.x Jelly Bean versions on a combined total of 29%.

Of course, Google also began the rollout of the latest Android version, 6.0 Marshmallow, a month ago, but it's not exactly off to a flying start. Just 0.3% of devices are running the newest version of the OS so far - but we'll have to wait until next month's figures are published to see if the speed of its rollout increases.

Source: Google Developers via Android Central

Report a problem with article
A graphic of a digital lock with multiple wires connected to it
Next Article

Microsoft may have the most secure smartphone OS in Windows Phone

Previous Article

BlackBerry Priv to get monthly security updates

Join the conversation!

Login or Sign Up to read and post a comment.

43 Comments - Add comment