MuPDF is a lightweight PDF, XPS, and EPUB viewer and parser/rendering library. The renderer in MuPDF is tailored for high quality anti-aliased graphics. It renders text with metrics and spacing accurate to within fractions of a pixel for the highest fidelity in reproducing the look of a printed page on screen.
MuPDF is also small, fast, and yet complete. MuPDF support PDF 1.7 with transparency, encryption, hyperlinks, annotations, search and many other bells and whistles. MuPDF can also read XPS documents (OpenXPS / ECMA-388), EPUB and CBZ (Comic Book archive) files.
MuPDF is written to be both modular and portable; the example applications are merely thin layers on top of the functionality offered by the library, so custom viewers can be easily built for a wide range of platforms. Example viewer applications are supplied for Windows, Linux, MacOS, iOS and Android.
MuPDF is deliberately designed to be threading library agnostic, while still supporting multi-threaded operation. In the absence of a thread library it will run single-threaded, but by adding one significant benefits in rendering speed on multi-core platforms can be obtained.
MuPDF 1.23.0 changelog:
- New WASM library with same API as mutool run and Java, for both browser and Node environments.
- Support CropBox, TrimBox, BleedBox, and ArtBox in PDF tools and viewers.
- PhotoShop PSD image support.
- mupdf-gl: Custom ICC display profile support.
- mutool poster: Option to split in RTL direction.
- Miscellaneous improvements and notable bug fixes:
- EPUB: Fix table cell height calculations.
- EPUB: Inherit table cell background color from table row.
- EPUB: Support files with partial encryption (only read unencrypted parts).
- EPUB: Support files with incorrect directory prefixes.
- TIFF: Stability improvements.
- MOBI: Stability improvements.
- PDF: Support old style border dash patterns.
- PDF: Support GoToR links to remote PDF documents.
- PDF: Improve link parsing and creation.
- ZIP: Improve unicode file name handling.
- Fall back to unhinted fonts if hints are broken.
- Recognize document types by sniffing contents (don't need to rely on mimetype or file extension).
- More PDF document permission flags.
- Tweaked exception error logging.
- pdf_minimize_document to squeeze amount of memory used by an open document.
Incompatible API changes
- pdf_field_name renamed to pdf_load_field_name.
- mutool run: Changed many methods to match Java and new WASM library.
Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware