Photo

F1 World Championship 2013 Thread

official formula 1 2013 championship season 2013

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
974 replies to this topic

Poll: F1 World Championship 2013 Thread (76 member(s) have cast votes)

Which team will win the Constructor's Championship?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Which driver will win the World Driver's Championship

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#211 +i11usive

i11usive

Neowinian Senior

• 2,272 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S5

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:32

I'd love to see Vettel in a crap car and see how many people idolise him once they realise most of his "talent" is the raw pace of the Red Bull car.

I agree the RB is a phenomenal car - testament to the genius of Adrian Newey. It seems everything he does in F1 is a success. However, Vettel did put up a cracking fight in Brazil when he was facing the wrong way after a few turns - making his way back up the field to take the WDC.

#212 +da00

da00

Kappa

• 1,641 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1020

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:45

I'd love to see Vettel in a crap car and see how many people idolise him once they realise most of his "talent" is the raw pace of the Red Bull car.

Vettel did fair quite OK in the cars he drove before Red Bull as well..

#213 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• 23,400 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:57

Vettel is by no means a bad driver. What he lacks is the extra bit of racecraft which M. Schumacher or A. Senna had, and which helped them win races, even championships in sub-optimal cars. Also, the last GP showed clearly that he's a spoiled brat.

#214 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

• 9,281 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:06

I agree the RB is a phenomenal car - testament to the genius of Adrian Newey. It seems everything he does in F1 is a success. However, Vettel did put up a cracking fight in Brazil when he was facing the wrong way after a few turns - making his way back up the field to take the WDC.

Not hard to do when you have a fast car, look at Button in Canada 2011, he collided with Alonso on lap 37 and effectively was at the back of the grid, in the rain, he stormed through the grid and overtook Vettel on the last lap.

Vettel did fair quite OK in the cars he drove before Red Bull as well..

Didn't say he was a bad driver but people are talking like he is the best driver in F1, it would be interesting to have a race where every car was identical to see where everyone ranked skill wise.

#215 +Jack Unterweger

Jack Unterweger

devoted fan of the us-armed forces

• 2,841 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:09

so how many titles would redbull have won with webber? :)
i give you a hint: it doesn't take much time to count :laugh:

#216 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

• 9,281 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:11

What do you expect from a clear number 2 driver, they claim to treat them equally but obviously Mark has to play second fiddle to Vettel, wasn't so long ago Vettel trashed his front wing and they took it off Marks car because they didn't have any spares, I'm not saying he could or would have won championships but having the clear fastest car on the grid makes up for any lack of talent you may or may not have.

#217 +Jack Unterweger

Jack Unterweger

• 2,841 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:16

What do you expect from a clear number 2 driver, they claim to treat them equally but obviously Mark has to play second fiddle to Vettel, wasn't so long ago Vettel trashed his front wing and they took it off Marks car because they didn't have any spares, I'm not saying he could or would have won championships but having the clear fastest car on the grid makes up for any lack of talent you may or may not have.

this is such a lame excuse. webber was leading the wdc in 2010 and was redbulls clear favorite for the title. the fact that he prefered to stay all the race behind his best friend alonso instead of launching an attack is not vettels mistake. vettel delivered in 2010 the same way he did in 2012. when it counts he delivers. which can't be said about webber or alonso. the only driver delivering the same way was massa in 2008 when he drove a perfect race in interlagos. button had a too superior car in 2009, similar to vettel in 2011 (what did webber with that superior car i have no idea!) to make any judgement.

also: senna won 1 of his 3 titles in a clearly superior car, schumacher won 3 titels in a superior car. where was his teammate? not always 2nd, sometimes even further back. even with a great car you have to deliver. also NO driver wins a wdc in a bad car. never happend. never will.

#218 +i11usive

i11usive

Neowinian Senior

• 2,272 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S5

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:19

Not hard to do when you have a fast car, look at Button in Canada 2011, he collided with Alonso on lap 37 and effectively was at the back of the grid, in the rain, he stormed through the grid and overtook Vettel on the last lap.

I remember that race ... we were in Portugal watching it and the bar we were in erupted when Button made the pass...

#219 Daedroth

Daedroth

Neowinian

• 1,103 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:22

Webber is clearly a number two driver, which means Vettel gets all the preferential treatment. I've noticed Vettel never has any issues with his KERS, whereas Webber does, none of which is his fault.

#220 heslo

heslo

Neowinian

• 693 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:59

Vettel never has any issues with his KERS, whereas Webber does, none of which is his fault.

Webber is also a lot taller than Vettel, that means he takes more room up in the cockpit so there's less room to keep KERS cooled properly. That's why Webber always seems to have issues with his KERS :(

#221 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,936 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:48

The only driver delivering the same way was massa in 2008 when he drove a perfect race in interlagos. button had a too superior car in 2009, similar to vettel in 2011 (what did webber with that superior car i have no idea!) to make any judgement.

A bad example for a couple of reasons. The first is that the only reason Massa got anywhere near that title was due to the FIA constantly throwing absurd penalties at McLaren (looking at Massa's silverstone spinfest from 2008 is a more realistic portrayl of his driving ability in my opinion), and the second is that the 2008 Ferrari was not an inferior car, it was a frontrunning car.

#222 +Jack Unterweger

Jack Unterweger

• 2,841 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:19

- german newspaper auto-motor-und-sport runs a story about multi21 today that the fact behind it was that webbers driving consumed too much fuel and he was behind the plan since lap 42, therefore had to save fuel.

i wonder what this tells us not only about redbull (if one driver has to save fuel, it should NOT influence the other driver imho) but also about webber, who should be pretty familiar with the car, the engine, the tires and therefore have at least an idea how he is doing fuel wise in a race.
next year fuel consumption will be even more crucial. vettel has shown, with his tire saving in quali, that he is a great champ and knows how to apply tactics. webber on the other hand, hasn't learnt anything over the last years it seems. he probably wouldnt have finished a single race in the 1980s. :/

#223 +Lingwo

Lingwo

Neowinian Senior

• 5,728 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:47

Give it a rest. At least try and be unbiased in your opinions, it is getting a bit boring now. Every driver at one point has fuel saving issues. It can be due to being out of position or having to defend a position.

#224 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,936 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:43

Why one driver had to slow down is irrelevant. The team asked the little swine to ask station, and he ignored them. If you did that in any other profession you would be sacked on the spot.

#225 OP Steve B.

Steve B.

Neowinian British One

• 5,706 posts
  • Phone: Apple iPhone 4S

Posted 06 April 2013 - 13:05

Guys, I think it's come to high time for me to say this. Pack it in. Seriously the rest of the forum doesn't want to browse a thread where 4 or so pages are two members bickering at each other. Please keep the thread clean from now on.

What happened in the race, happened. Deal with it and move on. The Chinese GP is coming up next weekend (As long as NK doesn't do anything stupid) and you should be looking forward to that.

In other news, here's a few classic liveries with modern adaptations.

Posted Image