WZOR Talks About Windows (Codename) 9, Is a DP Imminent?

I wouldn't expect any leaks, employees have to request a build if they want to test a dogfooding build, and the requester will get a specific build with their employee ID.

Plus, we're expecting to see some kind of peek at Windows vNext at WPC, so no one thinks it's worth it.

WPC is two weeks away, or a bit more.  So it should come quick but who knows if they'll show people or if it'll be behind closed doors and just for partners who have NDAs signed etc?

The interactive live tiles seems like the next logical step to me, and I like the idea a lot, it should be coming IMO.  If they don't do this and just leave the live tiles as they are now and just have them show info then it'd be a wasted chance to advance the platform. 

As far as start screen folders, I don't think of those as a major new feature, probably more useful on smaller devices like say phones where screens are a limiting factor but on my 24" desktop screen I have little need for them at the moment.   There could be more of a need in the future once we get the new start menu though, as that will be a smaller scale of the start screen it sounds like.

I *REALLY* want those interactive live tiles... :yes:

The 3 videos were from MS Research Labs, I am not so sure if this would be Metro2. :)

Last night I posted this in MDL and a number of guys shared their ideas, maybe Neowin guys would share their ideas too? :)

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/55109-News-Discussions-On-Windows-Upcoming-Products-W8-1Update-x-W365-WThreshold-Win9/page40?p=927729&viewfull=1#post927729

Something for you guys to think about : biggrin.png

This is the desktop with start menu and windowed apps shown in Build, enlarged to 300%, bottom right is a watermark

screen1668.jpg

Top line: Windows 8.1 Enterprise
Bottom line: For testing purposes only. Build 9600

Now, if the start menu and windowed apps were mock-up's, they could easily mock-up on a current win8.1, why on a lab build?

Previously, I have mentioned that these 2 features were not mock-up's, but actually working but buggy features.

A guy said in a previous post that why the IE icon didn't show - it's because these 2 are metro apps, and is actually shown as the other metro icons on the task bar.

OK, the next question, why build 9600? We know current known win9 build is 97xx, that means these 2 features are for win8.1, windowed apps is definitely not for Update2, it needs quite a lot of API treatments, and MJF claimed that start menu won't appear in Update2 either.

What's your ideas? tongue.gif

Last night I posted this in MDL and a number of guys shared their ideas, maybe Neowin guys would share their ideas too? :)

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/55109-News-Discussions-On-Windows-Upcoming-Products-W8-1Update-x-W365-WThreshold-Win9/page40?p=927729&viewfull=1#post927729

Something for you guys to think about : biggrin.png

This is the desktop with start menu and windowed apps shown in Build, enlarged to 300%, bottom right is a watermark

screen1668.jpg

Top line: Windows 8.1 Enterprise

Bottom line: For testing purposes only. Build 9600

Now, if the start menu and windowed apps were mock-up's, they could easily mock-up on a current win8.1, why on a lab build?

Previously, I have mentioned that these 2 features were not mock-up's, but actually working but buggy features.

A guy said in a previous post that why the IE icon didn't show - it's because these 2 are metro apps, and is actually shown as the other metro icons on the task bar.

OK, the next question, why build 9600? We know current known win9 build is 97xx, that means these 2 features are for win8.1, windowed apps is definitely not for Update2, it needs quite a lot of API treatments, and MJF claimed that start menu won't appear in Update2 either.

What's your ideas? tongue.gif

I think that there are 2 possible explanations for this. One, Windows Threshold could really be Windows 8.1 Update 3, and "Windows NT 6.4" could be something different (Windows 8.2, Windows 9, etc.). Another possibility is that that build number is there because Microsoft had originally planned it for Windows 8.1 Update 2, which would have also been Build 9600. Since that plan was changed, then the build number would now be 97xx.

It's always interesting when they bump the kernel version, shows something on the big side, has changed.  I really hope the rumor about them talking/showing the next update at the WPC later this month comes true and we finally get some info on update 2 at least.

I think that there are 2 possible explanations for this. One, Windows Threshold could really be Windows 8.1 Update 3, and "Windows NT 6.4" could be something different (Windows 8.2, Windows 9, etc.). Another possibility is that that build number is there because Microsoft had originally planned it for Windows 8.1 Update 2, which would have also been Build 9600. Since that plan was changed, then the build number would now be 97xx.

Take it as rumor with the usual salt treatment: WinThreshold will be 9600.2xxxx :/

I doubt the 7.xxx kernel will come any time soon.

Guess there won't be a NT7 unless there's a "breaking change" :)

061056ky9i7w6o849ibi8q.jpg.thumb.jpg

9600.2xxxx? How did they get that high already? Update 1 is 9600.17031, compared to RTM being 9600.16384... I doubt that it is going to be that high.

9600.2xxxx? How did they get that high already? Update 1 is 9600.17031, compared to RTM being 9600.16384... I doubt that it is going to be that high.

Firstly, it's a "will", secondly, it's a rumor. :)

Depends on what the last number means. It usually is either revision (could be multiple revisions per day), or a defaulted value that shows the exact second of the day at which the build was compiled.

Depends on what the last number means. It usually is either revision (could be multiple revisions per day), or a defaulted value that shows the exact second of the day at which the build was compiled.

It's a version number and therefore incremental, it can't be related to the compilation time.

Take it as rumor with the usual salt treatment: WinThreshold will be 9600.2xxxx :/

Hmm, that sounds wrong, if Threshold is indeed what Neowin and others reported (start menu, windowed apps etc.) it will come with major API changes and therefore it has to be a new full build, not a QFE patch (maybe even a kernel version increase ;) )

What do you think the leaked buildnumbers are? Windows "Codename 9"?  :rofl:

It's a version number and therefore incremental, it can't be related to the compilation time.

Sure it can. You can default versions by using lets say "6.4.*". This will result in something like 6.4.X.Y. The X would be the number of days since the start of the century and the Y the number of seconds since the start of the day.

Sure it can. You can default versions by using lets say "6.4.*". This will result in something like 6.4.X.Y. The X would be the number of days since the start of the century and the Y the number of seconds since the start of the day.

Seconds alone wouldn't work, in combination with days it could in theory work, but that's not how Windows versioning works.

Hmm, that sounds wrong, if Threshold is indeed what Neowin and others reported (start menu, windowed apps etc.) it will come with major API changes and therefore it has to be a new full build, not a QFE patch (maybe even a kernel version increase ;) )

What do you think the leaked buildnumbers are? Windows "Codename 9"?  :rofl:

AFAIK there is no such rule to applying build nos., and yes, AFAIK, build 97xx is Windows Codename9. :)

Wzor talks about Windows 9 release, expected this fall, with new activation method through the store.

http://forum.ru-board.com/topic.cgi?forum=29&topic=7345&start=2320#18

Super User translation

For all asking about Windows 8.1 Update XXX
All these updates, of course, are RTM-GDR releases followed by QFE updates? It means, after release of Windows 8.1 Update 2 new updates will be released, but no new features will be added to the operating system. Update 2 is the final rebuild of all SKUs with QFE GDR updates included.
Windows 9 will be announced this fall, Microsoft?s advertising budget this time will be fantastic. The slogan of a promotional campaign will be ?You want Start button and new menu and you will get that?.
On the advice of marketing experts, flaws of Windows 8 will be accepted and used as lessons for developers while releasing Windows 9.
Also?
After facing problems in China, Microsoft is thinking about a new activation system of Windows 9. Apparently this is slowing down development right now.
It?s assumed that the activation of products distributed via ESD-RETAIL channels will be more tightly associated with a specific PC and that activation will be done when user will log in to Microsoft Store. Activation key won?t be given to user and he won?t need to enter key manually.
If user will want to change his PC or reinstall/restore system (not on OEM PCs), he will need to download specific ESD-RETAIL distribution in a special format and then burn it on DVD or flash media using special wizard. With this new type of BIOS, large OEMs will download distributions for ?bare metal? and deploy systems without need of having boot disks. It similar to method Apple uses now. Although it?s is planned to implement this feature only on hardware manufactured by Microsoft and large manufacturers such as Lenovo, Dell, etc. Also this method will be used on mobile devices, tablets, smartphones, etc.
Installing ESD-RETAIL systems on new hardware or restoring system on the old one, will require to ?detach? old installation from Microsoft Store, and only after that, it?ll be possible to activate new system.
As you know, at the Microsoft Store could be more than one license or product, so it is necessary to take into account that the data of the license holder (an address, credit card numbers, etc.) will be stored on Microsoft?s servers. If someone won?t detach previously activated system, and same distribution will be activated on 2-3 PCs, while only one license was bought, after 3 days activation will be cancelled till problems with license will be solved. User will be prompted to purchase missing license or ?detach? extra system if he wants to further use a product.
Right now developers of the new activation system and experts of new products promotion are discussing on these topics. To be more specific, they are discussing how to make possible to rent a product or working time on it.
This is also a major problem of promoting the product, protecting personal data from transferring them to third parties, such as NSA...
Therefore, there is an idea to issue corporate version without these bindings to online and cloud services of Microsoft.

Microsoft communications chief Frank Shaw dismissed Wzor, tweeting ?Was there a ?crazy rumor day? declaration that I missed??

We'll just have to wait for WPC and hope some official info comes out of the event directly from MS.

Are they suggesting that we will get Windows Threshold in Q2 2015 but that this is not Win 9

But it will include the new start menu/screen and floating Windows Store Apps

Are they suggesting that we will get Windows Threshold in Q2 2015 but that this is not Win 9

But it will include the new start menu/screen and floating Windows Store Apps

Windows 9 is supposed to be a continuation of Windows 8, and Threshold is supposed to be an upgraded desktop.

I'm not sure if Wzor is right about the fall release date, but it might be true to compete with Mac OS X Yosemite.

I really think that both would come in Q1-Q2 2015, as that was the original plan, but the development pace may have sped up.