WZOR Talks About Windows (Codename) 9, Is a DP Imminent?

Has their been any hints at what Microsoft's plans are for the Surface RT's and "Threshold"?

WPC would be a good place to show off Update 2 and maybe a little teaser of the next version after that, it's a big event and an important one though it gets little tech press.

https://www.neowin.net/news/lets-talk-about-windows-81-update-2-for-a-second

(comments section)

Although Brandon Live had left MS(I had read the Neowin News long ago, don't have to remind me), he is a highly respected Neowin member, I weigh his words (much much) more than any press/bloggers bragging about "long and trusted sources". :)

083017dzuzzxqkkzapj8mm.jpg.thumb.jpg

btw, WZor is not in my trust list anymore, until he could prove otherwise with solid facts, I would assume what he posted about win8.1 and win9 are probably follow-baits.

• Like 2

I don't know developing, but I guess some guys would be interested in these 2 remarks by Brandon Live in the same Neowin blog where he confirmed WinThreshold is a Update(not a new Windows version): :) 

091934he5jj8dd05p8ered.jpg.thumb.jpg

091933yxoogfgus2szt212.jpg.thumb.jpg

Wait a minute...Threshold is an update, not a new version? So Threshold will be Windows 8.1 Update 3? So does that mean that if the start menu was supposed to be in Threshold, then it'll be in a Windows 8.1 Update 3, instead of in Windows 9?

Yes and no.

Yes, if you believe Wzor and others.

No, original plan Windows 8.1 Update 2 this year and Windows 9 next year from Mary Jo Foley and Paul Thurrott sources.

Wait a minute...Threshold is an update, not a new version? So Threshold will be Windows 8.1 Update 3? So does that mean that if the start menu was supposed to be in Threshold, then it'll be in a Windows 8.1 Update 3, instead of in Windows 9?

I honestly believe "Windows 9" is nothing more than a media invention. I've also started seeing people ask about "Windows Phone 9", as if such a thing exists.

We'll know in time, the rumor was that we'd get more info at WPC which is soon, July 13-17.    So we'll see if the rumors hold up or if they're all just bull.

"Windows 9(Codename 9)" exists, it is the new Windows version, not an Update, and had appeared in MS job listings and MS guys' CV's in linkedin.

"Windows Threshold is Windows 9" , now this is press/blogger's invention, Codename Threshold is a major Update to Win8.1, just like WinBlue(Win8.1) is a major Update to Win8, and will come after Update3.

btw, there is a feature pack in Update2, my friend told me there is a "nice pleasant surpirse" in it, no idea what this could be. :)

"Windows 9(Codename 9)" exists, it is the new Windows version, not an Update, and had appeared in MS job listings and MS guys' CV's in linkedin.

"Windows Threshold is Windows 9" , now this is press/blogger's invention, Codename Threshold is a major Update to Win8.1, just like WinBlue(Win8.1) is a major Update to Win8, and will come after Update3.

btw, there is a feature pack in Update2, my friend told me there is a "nice pleasant surpirse" in it, no idea what this could be. :)

Is it the modern Start Menu everyone is clamoring over?

Any idea whether Update 2 roll out through Windows Store or Windows Update?

Any idea whether Update 2 roll out through Windows Store or Windows Update?

Mostly like U1, Windows Update. From the upgrade % and personal experience on hundreds of machines with win8, it will be stupid if they ever use Store again. IT WAS HORRIBLE AND A YEAR LATER STILL IS.

Mostly like U1, Windows Update. From the upgrade % and personal experience on hundreds of machines with win8, it will be stupid if they ever use Store again. IT WAS HORRIBLE AND A YEAR LATER STILL IS.

I also wanted to be through Windows Update rather than Windows Store since updating from Windows 8 to 8.1 through Store was horrible experience.

Although I asked this because on few page back and on different sites, people said Update 2 would be through Windows Store.

From what I know, MS always wanted to deliver major updates thru winstore, but the glitches in win8->8.1 forced them to release Update1 thru WU. Win9(upgrade) is definitely targeted to be thru Store, but for the others(Update2/3, Threshold), I guess it would depend on if they are satisfied that all known problems are fixed. :)

Hmm. Not sure I agree with the updates coming through the Store either, but for major releases, I guess that does make a little sense - In essence, you are "purchasing" an upgrade.

From what I know, MS always wanted to deliver major updates thru winstore, but the glitches in win8->8.1 forced them to release Update1 thru WU. Win9(upgrade) is definitely targeted to be thru Store, but for the others(Update2/3, Threshold), I guess it would depend on if they are satisfied that all known problems are fixed. :)

Hmm. Not sure I agree with the updates coming through the Store either, but for major releases, I guess that does make a little sense - In essence, you are "purchasing" an upgrade.

It does make sense that a Windows Upgrade purchase in the Store, be completed using the store, but they better really make it stable and easy or another nightmare for the PR folks.

There's millions of people Windows 8 that aren't aware of Windows 8.1 being free and just some clicks away and then there's those Hex error codes when Upgrading...

I honestly have thought a couple of times what will Microsoft do when in January 12, 2016 Win 8.0 Updates are off and only delivers 8.1 Updates and people are stuck in Windows 8.0 for not knowing or errors.

Like WU is any better with error codes and messages?  If that was the issue then I don't see the difference here.  The main issue is that people, for some odd reason, didn't know or bother to start the process through the store, it's not like MS didn't send out a full screen post saying "free update to Windows is out, click here to go get it".  That's how it was for me, so I don't buy this line of thinking that having it been through WU it would've been any different.  8.1 was a big update, whole new OS really, it was worth the effort to go through the store and either way, MS can send a update through WU that can prompt people to get 8.1 again, and or start it off automatically like any other update.   It'll be one hell of a big/long restart though.

I don't get all the hate for the Windows Store upgrade either. It's a new OS, not an update, it's just logic to push it through the Store. And indeed, you get a full screen warning that there is a new version of Windows available in the Store free to download, how much more obvious does it have to be? And like George already said to, letting the update go through Windows Update had probably caused the same issues some people have had. I haven't had any issues on multiple Windows 8 installations.

Like WU is any better with error codes and messages?  If that was the issue then I don't see the difference here.  The main issue is that people, for some odd reason, didn't know or bother to start the process through the store, it's not like MS didn't send out a full screen post saying "free update to Windows is out, click here to go get it".  That's how it was for me, so I don't buy this line of thinking that having it been through WU it would've been any different.  8.1 was a big update, whole new OS really, it was worth the effort to go through the store and either way, MS can send a update through WU that can prompt people to get 8.1 again, and or start it off automatically like any other update.   It'll be one hell of a big/long restart though.

I don't get all the hate for the Windows Store upgrade either. It's a new OS, not an update, it's just logic to push it through the Store. And indeed, you get a full screen warning that there is a new version of Windows available in the Store free to download, how much more obvious does it have to be? And like George already said to, letting the update go through Windows Update had probably caused the same issues some people have had. I haven't had any issues on multiple Windows 8 installations.

I have seen new PC's with Windows 8, from HP and ASUS just taken from the box moments before and after running Windows Update and then going to the Store and do the upgrade, when restarting get stuck in BSOD and/or black screen loop and don't boot no more. Only solution? Restoring to Windows 8.

You can't sell those PC's blocked in BSOD's nor can you do a clean install on PC's that people expect to come with the junk and bloatware from OEM's (I know. I know, why do people want bloatware, but do a clean install and people complain it's not like a new PC full of "stuff" and they're being tricked for a used one).

Not to mention people who take a brand new still in the box PC home, try to update to 8.1 and BOOM, one more return, because the client thinks the PC is dead and you can't sell it to another person without informing them it's used.

Blame OEM's, blame Microsoft, whatever, the thing is Windows Upgrade process sucks and when you fully update Windows 8, go to the Store AND IT DOESN'T EVEN SHOW THE UPDATE for Windows 8.1 doesn't help either and yes I have encountered this behavior multiple times....

Luckily the situation has changed, because most PC's now come with 8.1.

So had 8.1 been delivered by WU solve all the problems?

Of course not. But it would be one less step (Remember "I imagine" 90% of Windows users don't even know what's the difference between 8 and 8.1), it should for home users been delivered automatically on WU.

I do agree that a OS purchase should be done on Store and the upgrade process starts. But Windows 8.2 (if it comes out) should be delivered by WU, it's not a new OS it's an update to 8.

Windows 8.1 is an update not an upgrade:

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9241315/When_is_a_Windows_update_not_an_update_When_it_s_an_upgrade

I have seen new PC's with Windows 8, from HP and ASUS just taken from the box moments before and after running Windows Update and then going to the Store and do the upgrade, when restarting get stuck in BSOD and/or black screen loop and don't boot no more. Only solution? Restoring to Windows 8.

You can't sell those PC's blocked in BSOD's nor can you do a clean install on PC's that people expect to come with the junk and bloatware from OEM's (I know. I know, why do people want bloatware, but do a clean install and people complain it's not like a new PC full of "stuff" and they're being tricked for a used one).

Not to mention people who take a brand new still in the box PC home, try to update to 8.1 and BOOM, one more return, because the client thinks the PC is dead and you can't sell it to another person without informing them it's used.

Blame OEM's, blame Microsoft, whatever, the thing is Windows Upgrade process sucks and when you fully update Windows 8, go to the Store AND IT DOESN'T EVEN SHOW THE UPDATE for Windows 8.1 doesn't help either and yes I have encountered this behavior multiple times....

Luckily the situation has changed, because most PC's now come with 8.1.

So had 8.1 been delivered by WU solve all the problems?

Of course not. But it would be one less step (Remember "I imagine" 90% of Windows users don't even know what's the difference between 8 and 8.1), it should for home users been delivered automatically on WU.

I do agree that a OS purchase should be done on Store and the upgrade process starts. But Windows 8.2 (if it comes out) should be delivered by WU, it's not a new OS it's an update to 8.

Yup, my friend bought a VAIO with win8, and he just couldn't get it upgraded to win8.1 .... and what do you know, when Update 1 was out, he tried the upgrade again, and voila! Everything done neatly in 30 mins, direct from win8 to Update 1.

Seems MS simply forget about win8.1 and improved things in Update 1, and since WZor is not reliable nowadays, so don't be surprised if Update 2 will be a Store upgrade like the 8forum guy said. :)

If some guys guessed if this "surprise" is the "Start Screen Folder" .... well, it is not, this feature is probably not featured in win8.1/8.x clients.

If you wonder what could come up next, goto youtube and search "interactive live tiles from Microsoft Research".

screen1665.jpg

I am always puzzled by this: if people could get the "detail infos" on a future project, why they couldn't tell us a tiny bit about Update2? It doesn't have to be about RTM, just a small bit of changelog info, or even just a (legit) build no.? :)

If some guys guessed if this "surprise" is the "Start Screen Folder" .... well, it is not, this feature is probably not featured in win8.1/8.x clients.

If you wonder what could come up next, goto youtube and search "interactive live tiles from Microsoft Research".

screen1665.jpg

I am always puzzled by this: if people could get the "detail infos" on a future project, why they couldn't tell us a tiny bit about Update2? It doesn't have to be about RTM, just a small bit of changelog info, or even just a (legit) build no.? :)

The interactive live tiles seems like the next logical step to me, and I like the idea a lot, it should be coming IMO.  If they don't do this and just leave the live tiles as they are now and just have them show info then it'd be a wasted chance to advance the platform. 

As far as start screen folders, I don't think of those as a major new feature, probably more useful on smaller devices like say phones where screens are a limiting factor but on my 24" desktop screen I have little need for them at the moment.   There could be more of a need in the future once we get the new start menu though, as that will be a smaller scale of the start screen it sounds like.