Malaysia Airlines 'loses contact with plane' (and search effort updates)

Hello,

Someone is laughing right now, counting cash.

That engine thing is very strange. I mean, engines HAVE to work with power. They cant just transmit for hours without having any power...

Has the 'engines continuing story' been corroborated by Rolls Royce?  I see nothing from them...

No. Even when WSJ posted the story originally, RR could not be reached for comment.

Malaysia has stated the story of the plane flying on for 4 hours from the engine was ... "incorrect". Boeing and RR are there helping with the investigation.

Has the 'engines continuing story' been corroborated by Rolls Royce?  I see nothing from them...

RR and Boeing are denying the story.

My question is, who started this story, and why ....

The problem with something of this scale is that someone can say something in passing or a suggestion or even a joke and someone else will pick it up as fact as they are throwing ideas around trying grasp onto anything. And the other side of the coin is people coming up with wild speculation to try to keep viewers on their channel gaining them revenue.

• Like 1

The problem with something of this scale is that someone can say something in passing or a suggestion or even a joke and someone else will pick it up as fact as they are throwing ideas around trying grasp onto anything. And the other side of the coin is people coming up with wild speculation to try to keep viewers on their channel gaining them revenue.

This.  It doesn't help that the world media pickup on the ###### before confirming it either.

Today in Australia (News Ltd) I woke to the article title of "MISSING PLANE WRECKAGE FOUND".

Hello,

Someone is laughing right now, counting cash.

That engine thing is very strange. I mean, engines HAVE to work with power. They cant just transmit for hours without having any power...

Who is saying that the engines didn't have power?

This.  It doesn't help that the world media pickup on the ######## before confirming it either.

Today in Australia (News Ltd) I woke to the article title of "MISSING PLANE WRECKAGE FOUND".

Pretty common now for the media to want to be first in reporting, second in accuracy.

This, indeed - the global media seem to be totally off the leash with this story.  The 'engines running' story would have material facts to support it there were never there, it seems.

They shouldn't make this be possible on a passenger airliner... 

It'll still give a primary radar return. And a 777 is going to give a pretty damn big return. On our Radars in the RAF they highlight targets on the radar screen that have lost their SSR information with a flashing (WARNING) that follows the target, and we're dealing with borderline Soviet-level tech in the RAF  :rofl:

It'll still give a primary radar return. And a 777 is going to give a pretty damn big return. On our Radars in the RAF they highlight targets on the radar screen that have lost their SSR information with a flashing (WARNING) that follows the target, and we're dealing with borderline Soviet-level tech in the RAF  :rofl:

I could be wrong, but wasn't their a suggestion that Primary Radar was pretty weak in this area and this is the reason that it was possible for this plane to suddenly vanish?

I could be wrong, but wasn't their a suggestion that Primary Radar was pretty weak in this area and this is the reason that it was possible for this plane to suddenly vanish?

I heard mentions of blackspots in the area. So there's a chance it could have flown into a blackspot and then crashed in the same area. Depending on the locations of the radars and how mountains/big hills might get in the way

Hello,

Well, in order to transmit the data, it would have to have power.

I agree; There are too many crazy unconfirmed reports being thrown around by US (as in Neowinians) and the media.

Hello,

Well, in order to transmit the data, it would have to have power.

I agree; There are too many crazy unconfirmed reports being thrown around by US (as in Neowinians) and the media.

The thing I don't get, it's been clear for days that the transponder and ACARS stopped, so I don't understand how some media outlet has come up with a story that the engine and aircraft manufactures would be getting data, when that data is transmitted via ACARS.

Latest news.  The image found by the Chinese satellite is not linked to the Boeing 777.  The myster deepends...

Say the Malaysians - but if not, then what are they of?  

Seeing as they loosely corroborate a professional-looking report from an oil-right worker in the same area, I imagine there might be some egg/face-type embarrassment if those objects were to be permanent man-made fixtures....

I think they just hijacked the airplane to an unknown location or the airplane crash in a remote jungle area which is difficult to access. These are to me the most logical answers.

I think they just hijacked the airplane to an unknown location or the airplane crash in a remote jungle area which is difficult to access. These are to me the most logical answers.

Plausible tho?   Is there anywhere in the tropics these days so sparsely inhabited that the unexpected arrival of a large aircraft, in a controlled manner or otherwise, would go unnoticed, considering the media-storm that follows it?

My bet is it suffered massive in-air damage (malicious or otherwise), a lot of on-board equipment was damaged, the pilots try to alter its course before rapid asphyxiation and now it's in the ocean somewhere in a direction opposed to it's original path.   I really hope it's as prosaic as that (which an aircrash isn't really, ever), and the only odd thing is the relative lack of flotsam.

Plausible tho?   Is there anywhere in the tropics these days so sparsely inhabited that the unexpected arrival of a large aircraft, in a controlled manner or otherwise, would go unnoticed, considering the media-storm that follows it?

My bet is it suffered massive in-air damage (malicious or otherwise), a lot of on-board equipment was damaged, the pilots try to alter its course before rapid asphyxiation and now it's in the ocean somewhere in a direction opposed to it's original path.   I really hope it's as prosaic as that (which an aircrash isn't really, ever), and the only odd thing is the relative lack of flotsam.

If they were on the ocean, there will be already signs of the crash, like pieces of the airplane plus fuel on the water. An airplane like the 777 can't crash on the ocean unnoticed like a toy. 

If there were on the ocean, there will be already signs of the crash, like pieces of the airplane plus fuel on the water. An airplane like the 777 can't crash on the ocean unnoticed like a toy. 

I don't disagree.  What if, somehow, it made a soft landing (rather like the Hudson incident) but no-one on-board had the capacity to exit the aircraft whilst afloat?  Again, somewhere some way away from the search focus?

You always find something in the last place looked, etc...  

Hello,

I think Im gonna be wrong but Im going with a highjacking too.

First, because of the people's safety and second, with enough planning, it can be pulled off....

There are A LOT of people with A LOT of money that do stupid things with it.

First, because of the people's safety

What does that mean?  Why it went out of control will be a matter to deal with once it's been located, which is the present challenge.   It seems they've profiled the passengers already, and apart from the Iranian teenagers, no-one else has been mentioned.  I do wonder if the Malaysians know more than they're prepared to say.

Hello,

I think Im gonna be wrong but Im going with a highjacking too.

First, because of the people's safety and second, with enough planning, it can be pulled off....

There are A LOT of people with A LOT of money that do stupid things with it.

highjack the airplane can be done only with total control and perfect precision