Supergirl (TV Series)

Not really on topic, but did anyone see the recent episode of The Messengers, it had it's own "Cara"/"It's not Cara it's Kara" -- of course I am paraphrasing that -- scene, reminded me of the scene in the pilot of Supergirl

WEll what could be done tho between now and the air date of the pilot  is that even tho they would be filming  more episodes they can go back and reshoot scenes  Maby  redo some of the plot a little tighten up couple of things  and  take out stuff that  doesn't help the  show at all no matter how small and add n ew stuff  in that makes more sense.  but  i think that is why myself and  seems other think it was a Leaked  by CBS themselves   so they can look and gage   what we liked  or did not like .  ahh Whio knows they may end up re-shooting the entire pilot  in this amount of time   

The leak is definitely internal, quality is too good.

On the show itself, heh I kinda dig it, it has some good scenaristic bases, it's funny, Fx aren't too bad (some wire action has to be redone tho, too obvious), and yes it's girly/kinda feminist on the sides, it fits the show and the character quite well, plus she's a real cutie. I wouldn't have it another way.

Just watched the pilot and the cheese was quite overwhelming at times. Also anyone else feel that the action sequences were quite poor?

It wasn't terrible though. I'll probably watch the first few episodes and see where they take it.

Yeah, it seems utterly disconnect from the source material.

Which source material? The original  sweet super-powered orphan girl? The shapeshifting blob of protoplasm who preferred the form of a flying blonde? The earthborn angel of fire? The software exec Alpha babe who thought she was the daughter of an Atlantean wizard? The edgy super-powered orphan girl?

Supergirl is one of those characters who has had numerous, vastly different interpretations. If any character can survive a new take, its her. (My favorite is the angel, by the way!)

As long as it's better written than the movie with Helen Slater (who was the best thing in the movie) I'll give it a chance. I actually liked this pilot better than Flash or Arrow's.

Which source material? The original  sweet super-powered orphan girl? The shapeshifting blob of protoplasm who preferred the form of a flying blonde? The earthborn angel of fire? The software exec Alpha babe who thought she was the daughter of an Atlantean wizard? The edgy super-powered orphan girl?

Supergirl is one of those characters who has had numerous, vastly different interpretations. If any character can survive a new take, its her. (My favorite is the angel, by the way!)

She's not like any of the source material. That would be fine if it was a compelling new direction but this is just your typical cheesy US rom-com tropes. They've taken the character and made her utterly generic. They should have just made up a new character.

She's not like any of the source material. That would be fine if it was a compelling new direction but this is just your typical cheesy US rom-com tropes. They've taken the character and made her utterly generic. They should have just made up a new character.

I can see a bit of the original in her, when she was striking out on her own. I liked the pilot and the new take, even if it wasn't strictly like any of the comic versions. Considering how pilots/premieres are often the worst episodes of a show, I'm willing to give it a chance.

Still, I wouldn't object if she sprouted wings of fire . . . :laugh:

I haven't seen the pilot yet and I'm happy to give it a chance. As you said, the pilot is often a poor introduction to a series. My concern is when changes are made for mass appeal rather than for creative vision.

I feel the pilot has a bit of a split personality. On the one hand, the Supergirl scenes are nice. The action could be better, but it's not bad. On the other, the teen drama angle (basically, her alter-ego) gets on my nerves.

Another show targeted at teens and which completely misses the point of the actual comic. All these movies/shows aimed at young teens is too much.

Not bad, though the villain at the end made me facepalm... I stopped watching Smallville because of that sort of thing, and you guys just go and copy it? Bleh... Go another route!

I don't think it was officially shown to the public, it was leaked.

I don't think it was officially shown to the public, it was leaked.

I don't believe these "leaks" are ever anything of the sort.  I'm pretty sure they're deliberate on the part of the TV studio, to help gauge market opinion before committing to a series.

They're committed already and were when it was leaked. IF they leaked it the intent was to guage the viewer reactions in social media to the characterizations and tone. These could change drastically in the final cut via reshoots and edits.

Of course they leaked it deliberately. Have you not noticed that pretty much ALL pilots to new shows mysteriously "leak"?  It's not exactly hard to stick a torrent up, you know...

If you ask me, it's a smart move too.  It piques interest way more than teaser trailers do.  I'm looking forwards to be able to get this show on Netflix or similar, even with the predictable bad guys...

• 4 weeks later...

I am not digging this show in the slightest and have to say that I am surprised that a network that is known for the quality of its output would pick up a show like this. Sure, this isn't HBO or Showtime we are talking about, but this show should be on CW at the most. It ticks all the same boxes that Smallville did years ago.

I am surprised that a network that is known for the quality of its output would pick up a show like this.

It doesn't seem to fit with the rest of their line up and according to spoilertv it will air directly against Gotham which is a head scratcher in itself.

Not a problem with the ratings now tracking +3-5 days after broadcast because of streaming.

Both CBS and Fox are streaming their shows a day or so after broadcast. CBS has their own steaming service, and many are streamed for free, and Fox, NBC and ABC use Hulu.