Dopamine

sounds like just how windows is handling the installer and windows. you probably ran installers before on your 2nd monitor so windows puts it there and then it puts new programs on the primary monitor.

just move it if you want it somewhere else

ok raphael i did some more tests with other programs to see how long it would take for them to make playlists of my large collection. i made playlists with the entire hard drive

AIMP3 - took about 3 1/2 hours and found 158,000 tracks. used about 12-15% cpu

Winamp 5.66 - it found only 132,000 tracks in about 3 minutes. used alot less cpu maybe only 5%

Foobar latest version - about 50 minutes and found 148,000 tracks. this used about 12-15% cpu if i remember

WMP - found 132,000 tracks in about 25 minutes but i think was still indexing. the program was doing some funny things and i though it froze so closed it with task manager, but might have started indexing again when i restarted it.

i dunno i just hate WMP and cant really be bothered to mess with it.

im guessing they all found different amounts because of the different file formats and maybe they cant see them all

i do have mostly .mp3 and some .flac  and small amounts of .ogg and .mp4

Dopamine used alot more cpu during its very long indexing, the dopamine.exe used about 12% then jumped to 15-20% then would spike at 50% for about 1 second

it would then drop to 0% for a few seconds then back to 12%. and also use 500,000-600,000k of ram

synapse used a steady 12% the entire time. and was using 1,600,000k of ram

if you remember after 56 or so hours of indexing i stopped dopamine when it got 140,000 something tracks

how do you restart the indexing?

now some weird stuff with the album view. it shows multiple album images of the same album but when clicking on these it only brings up 1 or 2 songs for the album

rarely does it list an entire album in the song pane

this happens with many many albums showing multiple images and not listing all the songs under just one image

i do try to have correct tags but for sure some might not be

and another thing. which image is dopamine looking for? i try to have all my cover art named "cover" as this is what is most common for many players

and yes in some folders i have multiple images. AIMP3 has a list of image tags you can assign inside its player so you can have it look for "cover" "folder" and quite a few more

and does dopamine also read .png images?

i would be very interested to see how it does when i can make playlists. for me the album view is hard to use with 10,000+ albums

i do like music programs showing the cover art and the now playing screen is great. and i did mention before i would like it to show a larger cover art image especially since we have large monitors now

and whatever you can do to reduce the size of the cache art. maybe making a coded list somehow? because for me my cache is about 1.20+GB

im just trying to provide some constructive feedback that maybe you can use to develop a more efficient player.. keep up the good work

That's incredible info. I'd like to know a little more on how these players organize the music in the UI (I haven't any of them in years, maybe I should to be able to compare).

Which one of those organize audio into categories like "Albums" or "Artists". Does any of them show a list of album covers like Dopamine does. I'm asking this, because these are the performance bottlenecks for Dopamine:

- Organizing into artists and albums: slows down indexing considerably, because for each new track which is being indexed, the indexer needs to verify id the track's artist and/or album don't already exist, so it doesn't add it a seconds time to the DB but instead assigns the existing artist and/or album to that track. A lot of improvements are possible though here, even when keeping organization into albums and artist. I've done a test last week with a simple change in the indexer I could get my indexing (4000 files) from 4,5 minutes to 1,4 minutes. That's still not as performant as the others, but already a lot better.

- Displaying all album covers in a list requires cached thumbnails. As it would be unusable to fetch album art from the audio files in realtime from the files.

As for the album view. Dopamine defines an album by 4 tags: "AlbumTitle", "AlbumArtist", "DiscNumber" and "DiscCount". I'm open to suggestions/discussions here though. I've made this choice based on user input in the musiX days. For example, when defining an album just by the tags "AlbumTitle" and "AlbumArtist", track from album consisting of more than 1 disc would get mixed up in the list, instead of being displayed per album.

Dopamine looks for these covers, in this order: front.jpg, front.png, cover.jpg, cover.png, folder.jpg, folder.png

For now this is hardcoded and might change if it is not sufficient.

I'll see what I can do for the other topics. Playlists screen is rather high in my list of priorities, but it's one of those additions which takes a bit more time to add.

The most recent build started popping up a false positive virus warning from Avast. The previous ones didn't. I sent in a ticket to Avast regarding the report.

sounds like just how windows is handling the installer and windows. you probably ran installers before on your 2nd monitor so windows puts it there and then it puts new programs on the primary monitor.

just move it if you want it somewhere else

ok raphael i did some more tests with other programs to see how long it would take for them to make playlists of my large collection. i made playlists with the entire hard drive

AIMP3 - took about 3 1/2 hours and found 158,000 tracks. used about 12-15% cpu

Winamp 5.66 - it found only 132,000 tracks in about 3 minutes. used alot less cpu maybe only 5%

Foobar latest version - about 50 minutes and found 148,000 tracks. this used about 12-15% cpu if i remember

WMP - found 132,000 tracks in about 25 minutes but i think was still indexing. the program was doing some funny things and i though it froze so closed it with task manager, but might have started indexing again when i restarted it.

i dunno i just hate WMP and cant really be bothered to mess with it.

im guessing they all found different amounts because of the different file formats and maybe they cant see them all

i do have mostly .mp3 and some .flac  and small amounts of .ogg and .mp4

Dopamine used alot more cpu during its very long indexing, the dopamine.exe used about 12% then jumped to 15-20% then would spike at 50% for about 1 second

it would then drop to 0% for a few seconds then back to 12%. and also use 500,000-600,000k of ram

synapse used a steady 12% the entire time. and was using 1,600,000k of ram

if you remember after 56 or so hours of indexing i stopped dopamine when it got 140,000 something tracks

how do you restart the indexing?

now some weird stuff with the album view. it shows multiple album images of the same album but when clicking on these it only brings up 1 or 2 songs for the album

rarely does it list an entire album in the song pane

this happens with many many albums showing multiple images and not listing all the songs under just one image

i do try to have correct tags but for sure some might not be

and another thing. which image is dopamine looking for? i try to have all my cover art named "cover" as this is what is most common for many players

and yes in some folders i have multiple images. AIMP3 has a list of image tags you can assign inside its player so you can have it look for "cover" "folder" and quite a few more

and does dopamine also read .png images?

i would be very interested to see how it does when i can make playlists. for me the album view is hard to use with 10,000+ albums

i do like music programs showing the cover art and the now playing screen is great. and i did mention before i would like it to show a larger cover art image especially since we have large monitors now

and whatever you can do to reduce the size of the cache art. maybe making a coded list somehow? because for me my cache is about 1.20+GB

im just trying to provide some constructive feedback that maybe you can use to develop a more efficient player.. keep up the good work

I forgot to anwser your "how do you restart the indexing?" question.

It should start when you restart Dopamine (you'll see Synapse popping up in the task manager), HOWEVER, it could take a long time before you actually see indexing progress. As it compares the files in the collection with the files on disk. I'm still brainstorming on how to improve this check.

Daft question... Can this run as a default app for MP3 files?  Hence doubleclick a file and it plays in Dopamine?

Not yet, but it is planned. MusiX did it, so it is just a matter of porting the code.

I just found a very strange bug. When I drop a link from Firefox by drag & dropping from the address bar to my desktop, Dopamine crashes.

It's reproduceable every time I do it.

Here's my log file. http://pastebin.com/BjRYAMHZ

You drop from the firefox url bar to the desktop and dopamine crashes? I can't reproduce this here. I can see a crash in the log, but I can't make the link with the drag drop operation.

You have more details?

AC/DC bug isn't fixed for me (see screenshots). I can also replicate the Firefox bug, really odd. Drag link from address bar to desktop to create a shortcut/link to the site, Dopamine crashes.

post-182178-0-41354900-1424541717.png

post-182178-0-13073800-1424541721.png

AC/DC bug isn't fixed for me (see screenshots). I can also replicate the Firefox bug, really odd. Drag link from address bar to desktop to create a shortcut/link to the site, Dopamine crashes.

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

attachicon.gifCapture2.PNG

I can't mess with your database myself, as I can't predict how your files have been organized. You'll have to reindex to fix the info in the database:

- remove your folders, let dopamine remove the info from the database

- re-add your folders, let dopamine re-add your files

Was it just AC/DC that the fix applies to? I have a band called Ghost/Light that also suffers from this bug.

Yes only AC/DC. The bug is caused because ID3V2.3 uses the "/" character as a separator, so AC/DC is seen as 2 different artists: AC and DC. This also happens with Ghost/Light.

There are 2 solutions:

1. you force writing the artist info in a ID3V2.4 tag

2. I add Ghost/Light to a list of workarounds in dopamine, just in case ID3v2.3 is used (I found that this is the way some other players are doing it)

By the way, here is an old topic that shows foobar was also affected at some point (I don't know the status now and how it was fixed): http://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/index.php?showtopic=57432

• Like 1

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

attachicon.gifCapture2.PNG

AC/DC bug is fixed for me after totally re-indexing (remove your collection folder, wait for the library to empty, re-add folder, wait for it to re-index)

• Like 1

AC/DC bug is fixed for me after totally re-indexing (remove your collection folder, wait for the library to empty, re-add folder, wait for it to re-index)

Great, that is how it's supposed to work :)

I have more details on the bizarre dopamine/firefox crash bug. I recorded a video and figured out how to consistently reproduce it. It only seems to happen the first time you drag a specific url to the desktop while dopamine is running. after dopamine crashes for the first time and you re-open it, dragging that same link to the desktop will not crash it again, however navigating to a different website in firefox and dragging that link to the desktop does. The video demonstrates this more clearly:

hope this helps :) I'm running windows 8.1 64-bit, latest dopamine preview, firefox 36 beta.

another odd thing I noticed, it only seems to happen with firefox 36. I cannot reproduce the dopamine crash with firefox 38 nightly (or any other web browser such as chrome/ie).

definitely one of the weirder bugs I've seen lol

• Like 2

^Ah, that is why I couldn't reproduce it, when it happened I was running beta while I've been messing around with the Nightly for a few hours now. Really weird stuff in any case.

I have more details on the bizarre dopamine/firefox crash bug. I recorded a video and figured out how to consistently reproduce it. It only seems to happen the first time you drag a specific url to the desktop while dopamine is running. after dopamine crashes for the first time and you re-open it, dragging that same link to the desktop will not crash it again, however navigating to a different website in firefox and dragging that link to the desktop does. The video demonstrates this more clearly:

hope this helps :) I'm running windows 8.1 64-bit, latest dopamine preview, firefox 36 beta.

another odd thing I noticed, it only seems to happen with firefox 36. I cannot reproduce the dopamine crash with firefox 38 nightly (or any other web browser such as chrome/ie).

definitely one of the weirder bugs I've seen lol

So strange :) I just downloaded Firefox 36 and tried to reproduce it, without success. Interesting thing.

Anything new?  I like to see progress! :D :D

Nothing worth showing. My day job has been invading my private live the last few days. Darned nightly customer problems. But thanks for asking! :)

Great to see some updates, but hopefully that one can be turned off :rofl:

Couple of issues with the miniplayer...

# max/min buttons tend to clash with some album art, especially when they have words in that area. Any chance of hiding the buttons unless you mouse over that area?

# Dual screens (laptop+external). Miniplayer on the external display. Shut down laptop. Boot up without the external display connected, miniplayer launches to the display that's not there (and I can't recover it unless I reconnect the display). Possible this is a Windows 10 issue, but just letting you know in case it isn't :laugh:

Cheers and keep up the great work.