Dopamine

Great to see some updates, but hopefully that one can be turned off :rofl:

Couple of issues with the miniplayer...

# max/min buttons tend to clash with some album art, especially when they have words in that area. Any chance of hiding the buttons unless you mouse over that area?

# Dual screens (laptop+external). Miniplayer on the external display. Shut down laptop. Boot up without the external display connected, miniplayer launches to the display that's not there (and I can't recover it unless I reconnect the display). Possible this is a Windows 10 issue, but just letting you know in case it isn't :laugh:

Cheers and keep up the great work.

Yes it can be disabled :) I know that not everyone likes the spectrum analyzer (was already the case in musiX :))

Indeed, the mini player buttons are a pain. I've been wanting to improve them since the beginning, but still searching for the best looking solution :)

I'll log a bug for the multi display issue and will try to reproduce it.

Great to see some updates, but hopefully that one can be turned off :rofl:

Couple of issues with the miniplayer...

# max/min buttons tend to clash with some album art, especially when they have words in that area. Any chance of hiding the buttons unless you mouse over that area?

# Dual screens (laptop+external). Miniplayer on the external display. Shut down laptop. Boot up without the external display connected, miniplayer launches to the display that's not there (and I can't recover it unless I reconnect the display). Possible this is a Windows 10 issue, but just letting you know in case it isn't :laugh:

Cheers and keep up the great work.

How about this?

I love the spectrum analyser!   :D  It's a great feature!  Like to see those bouncing lines!   :D

I also like some animation when playing. They'll be on by default, but can be disabled with an option.

• Like 3

Nice buttons. :)

For the multi monitor issue, let me explain a little more.

Setup at home: Laptop + external monitor via VGA. Setup at office: Laptop + external monitor via DVI.

If I shutdown the laptop with dopamine running on the external screen at home, when I attempt to run it in the office, it doesn't show on the external screen. It's like the position is remembered from previously, and it is hard coded to the last used display. When that display isn't present I have a problem.

The splash screen shows on the main display, but the actual app, nope. I have the same issue if I run the laptop without any display, dopamine doesn't show.

Changing the display settings with Win+P and setting to single and back to extended or mirrored doesn't help.

Long story short, I had the issue this morning in the office, and know the reason.

It is the positional information recorded in the settings.xml file for dopamine under the appdata folder. If I have dopamine running on an external monitor, this position is recorded in the xml. If I shutdown and reboot with no external display, the recorded positional values don't change. So windows positions the app where I have no screen!

The issue with my home/office setup is the external monitor is in a different position (at home it is above the laptop display, office to the right of the laptop). So the values recorded in the xml are not valid when I switch with or without an external screen.

I guess there needs to be a way for dopamine to recognise there is no external display and reset the positional values stored in the xml, or at least ensure the position recorded is within the available screen resolution and if not, reset it.

Long story short, I had the issue this morning in the office, and know the reason.

It is the positional information recorded in the settings.xml file for dopamine under the appdata folder. If I have dopamine running on an external monitor, this position is recorded in the xml. If I shutdown and reboot with no external display, the recorded positional values don't change. So windows positions the app where I have no screen!

The issue with my home/office setup is the external monitor is in a different position (at home it is above the laptop display, office to the right of the laptop). So the values recorded in the xml are not valid when I switch with or without an external screen.

I guess there needs to be a way for dopamine to recognise there is no external display and reset the positional values stored in the xml, or at least ensure the position recorded is within the available screen resolution and if not, reset it.

Ok this is great info. Thanks! I'm adding it to the bug report. I'll look if there is a way to detect whether or not there are multiple monitors connected.

Btw ... I really like the extended use of the dopamine logo in the top left. Updates available are shown there, in addition to the spinning progress circle when indexing. Good stuff!

I recently picked up a cheap tablet (Toshiba Encore 2) (because I cannot afford a Surface).  I have my Music folder pointed at a network drive that I mapped from my PC.  Dopamine has no issues indexing or playing over the wifi, and it is working great on a touchscreen.  Plus it really does look beautiful.  I am digging the new logo, too.

Btw ... I really like the extended use of the dopamine logo in the top left. Updates available are shown there, in addition to the spinning progress circle when indexing. Good stuff!

Thanks! :)

I recently picked up a cheap tablet (Toshiba Encore 2) (because I cannot afford a Surface).  I have my Music folder pointed at a network drive that I mapped from my PC.  Dopamine has no issues indexing or playing over the wifi, and it is working great on a touchscreen.  Plus it really does look beautiful.  I am digging the new logo, too.

That is very useful information. Thanks!

If all goes well during testing, tomorrow I'll release this build:

26-02-2015: Dopamine 1.0.0.142 (Preview)

• Added workaround for ID3v2.3 bug and Artist "Ghost/Light"
  • Added an optional spectrum analyzer
  • Mini player buttons are only shown when the mouse is in the top area of the screen
  • Fixed positioning when external display is missing
  • Like 4

Ok, I had to iron out some things I didn't like. But I made the deadline  :rofl:.  Build 144 is available!

This is the changelog:

27-02-2015: Dopamine 1.0.0.144 (Preview)

• Added workaround for ID3v2.3 bug and Artist "Ghost/Light"
  • Added an optional spectrum analyzer
  • Mini player buttons are only shown when the mouse is over the cover picture
  • Fixed positioning when external display is missing

Download here

• Like 3

I seem to have broken the spectrum in the mini player. I've fixed it and will release build 145 tonight.

Edit: oh well, I've made it available already :) It's here

• Like 3

This looks beautiful!  I have a question: does it support WASAPI output, or just DirectSound?

This looks beautiful!  I have a question: does it support WASAPI output, or just DirectSound?

It supports only WASAPI.

Hi people!
I see you've noticed the front-page article already. I hope you like it  :)

If you find any mistakes or misinformation, please do let me know. :)

And congrats once again Raphael! :D

• Like 3

Hi people!

I see you've noticed the front-page article already. I hope you like it  :)

If you find any mistakes or misinformation, please do let me know. :)

And congrats once again Raphael! :D

Thanks for featuring Dopamine! The article looks all good :)

• Like 1

It will be great if you add Last.fm support. Overall, I think Dopamine have very big potential to become default player ;)

It will be great if you add Last.fm support. Overall, I think Dopamine have very big potential to become default player ;)

That's planned. After the basics are implemented.

Thanks for this app. It's awesome!! zune 5.0!!

I have almost 3,000 albums in my collection, Can it manage such a big collection?

Also It would be great if we could add our own artist images so they show up on the now playing screen. Something as flexible like how Plex does it. Artist images in each folder with a name like "poster_1,poster_2,poster_3" and fade randomly into each other with text.

And different styles of Spectrum analyzer we could choose from. 

Donation on it's way.

Thanks for all your hard work.

A little off-topic, but this makes me smile a little, and not in a good way. This app is one guy's work, a very good work for that matter, and people are talking about donations and support. And I find that absolutely normal. But in the same time, I have to argue with other people on G+ over paying whatever they like on a OS  and they bitch about Linux being open-source (as in free). I'm talking about elementary OS.

Anyway, I'm one of the people that believes a person's work, no matter how small, should be rewarded if I enjoy its results. So go ahead and contribute to this in any way you can, it would mean a lot to the developer. :)