Dopamine

Really? It needs to index you files to get Artist, Album, Song, and cover to display to you, how else is it going to show you your library? 

Winamp does the same thing and it doesn't index a damn thing, I just add the folder and that's it. Or maybe it does it, but with so little memory and CPU usage that you never notice. That's why I was asking.

Winamp does the same thing and it doesn't index a damn thing, I just add the folder and that's it. Or maybe it does it, but with so little memory and CPU usage that you never notice. That's why I was asking.

Nonsense!  Windows DOES read all the information - once when it first encounters the music.

Your PC is indexing your files... so you can search what you look for...  If index is off, you will have hard tine finding the files via search. If it's off, you can look for whatever you are looking for manually in the Windows Explorer instead of using the search.

So this music player is indexing the songs/albums so you can search for what you look for in quick time. If you don't like it, then don't download it...  but it does not hurt in any harm to your PC.  PC is fine since it is indexing without your knowledge. Don't believe us, look up in the settings on your PC.

Your PC is indexing your files... so you can search what you look for...  If index is off, you will have hard tine finding the files via search. If it's off, you can look for whatever you are looking for manually in the Windows Explorer instead of using the search.

So this music player is indexing the songs/albums so you can search for what you look for in quick time. If you don't like it, then don't download it...  but it does not hurt in any harm to your PC.  PC is fine since it is indexing without your knowledge. Don't believe us, look up in the settings on your PC.

I know about Windows's indexing thing. And I never said I don't like this app or whatever, you clearly didn't get why I asked about indexing. Look at my previous post about Winamp and see why is confusing for me.

It sure does index - just tossed WinAmp into a sandbox, first run, just added a music directory with only a few hundred titles in it...

winampyzy.png

I wasn't talking to you. And no, you didn't answer. I was talking about WINAMP, you said WINDOWS.

Winamp and Dopamine may be used by the differrent language they used to develop with. I mean, Visual Basic, Visual Studio.NET, C++, C #... whatever they use... 

Some developers can make the app however they want.  It's their decision to add indexing or not based on their app.

It does not matter if it has indexing or not...  You have NOTHING to worry about. It helps finding the songs quicker for you and cache them if necessary.

It sure does index - just tossed WinAmp into a sandbox, first run, just added a music directory with only a few hundred titles in it...

winampyzy.png

So it does this only when using the media library, not the normal playlist? I never used the library feature, only the playlist, and there doesn't seem to be any activity there once I add music folders.

It does not matter if it has indexing or not...  You have NOTHING to worry about. It helps finding the songs quicker for you and cache them if necessary.

I know, I asked only because you guys seem to have problem with this thing in Dopamine (like taking a loooong time to index a large collection). So I thought it's something that we can live without.

So it does this only when using the media library, not the normal playlist? I never used the library feature, only the playlist, and there doesn't seem to be any activity there once I add music folders.

Well sure, if you don't actually tell it anything about any existing files it's got nothing to do but play whatever it's directly told.. it won't have a clue about other files that are elsewhere, hence building up that library index.  *shrug* I typically don't use libraries either, I just fire off whatever tracks via a file manager or the start menu, the wife on the other hand prefers browsing thru her player, which is where those libraries come in.  Besides, it's a once and done thing usually, they typically check for new/deleted tracks on startup but that's usually near instant, it's just that first run that can take a while if you have a gazillion tracks.

Well sure, if you don't actually tell it anything about any existing files it's got nothing to do but play whatever it's directly told.. it won't have a clue about other files that are elsewhere, hence building up that library index.  *shrug* I typically don't use libraries either, I just fire off whatever tracks via a file manager or the start menu, the wife on the other hand prefers browsing thru her player, which is where those libraries come in.

I don't get this. What I do is click on the "Add folder" button in playlist editor (Shift+L) and choose my music folder, with all its subfolders. Everything gets added instantly. Covers show up only on play, is this what you're referring to?

I know, I asked only because you guys seem to have problem with this thing in Dopamine (like taking a loooong time to index a large collection). So I thought it's something that we can live without.

Not me. I have my own player project that I developed about 20 years ago but it is in storage right now. It was used for personal use. I have not released it to public yet.

Keep this in mind. it could take awhile depends on the amount of files it is indexing. Once it's done. you have nothing to worry about.

All library based media players index files. Some players can be used as library based or just playlist based, such as winamp and foobar2000. Winamp does index if you use its media library, but winamp does allow you to use it as 'playlist only' without indexing the entire library. 

dopamine is a library based player, so of course its going to index the library.

• Like 3

All library based media players index files. Some players can be used as library based or just playlist based, such as winamp and foobar2000. Winamp does index if you use its media library, but winamp does allow you to use it as 'playlist only' without indexing the entire library. 

dopamine is a library based player, so of course its going to index the library.

That's exactly my point. Why go with the library thing when there's the other solution? I mean, what are the advantages of this compared to the playlist thing?

I wasn't talking to you. And no, you didn't answer. I was talking about WINAMP, you said WINDOWS.

This is an open thread, people respond to questions, put on your big boy pants and deal with it.

And clearly I meant Winamp.

That's exactly my point. Why go with the library thing when there's the other solution? I mean, what are the advantages of this compared to the playlist thing?

The library would be managed by the media program, as long as you put your music in the folders you specified. It will auto-index the songs for you, and essentially manages the content for you. You can create playlists based on music in your library, and sync that to other devices. If you have a music collection on your local computer, it's easier to have a program like Dopamine/WMP/iTunes/etc. since you can open the program and play any song you like, rather than opening up songs in a playlist based player without library management.

I used to use Winamp back in the day, like you would. My music was not organized, and nothing was tagged properly. A few years ago, I decided to sit down and organize everything in a hierarchy. I also tagged everything properly with album art. I since then use library based programs like MediaMonkey, WMP, etc. It's just so much easier to set it and forget it.

• Like 2

Different people want different things.  I don't use playlists or a library, never have, I just fire the tracks off directly from my launcher or file manager.  The wife on the other hand likes to browse her library thru her player, which typically not only lets you edit metadata in place but actually build those playlists to begin with.. a hell of a lot easier than doing it in a text editor.. your preferred method doesn't work if you don't actually have playlists created to begin with. 

Options are a good thing.

Really enjoying this - only used musicX previously.

Any chance of having a "lazy mode" please? I like to select an artist, hit play or shuffle and let it get on with it :)

Hi all, I seem to have missed a bit of action today :)

Dopamine is indeed a library based player. And not everyone has to be happy about that.

I wanted to display track information in a very graphical way (tag and cover info). And I want to add rating and smart playlists. I have no idea how foobar or winamp do this. But, as far as I know, if you want to keep the UI responsive while displaying tag and cover info, you have to index some things. It is overkill for the UI to fetch this info on the fly from the audio files each time you load them in the application. Of course, indexing takes some time. It will probably improve in future builds (Remember, we're still in a very early stage of development. A few weeks ago, his thing didn't even play music). But even if speed improves, it wil still take quite some time if you have a massively big collection.

• Like 1

Any chance of having a "lazy mode" please? I like to select an artist, hit play or shuffle and let it get on with it :)

You're talking about the fact that the play button doesn't do anything yet and you have to double-click a track to actually play something?

If yes, the answer is: yes, that is coming very soon :)

This is by far one of the best looking music players available on Windows (which is a really bold statement considering it is not even complete yet); I have been looking for something to replace iTunes on my PC (I am using a HIDPI display and iTunes looks horrible on it) and this is exactly what I have been looking for (clean UI, stable [more stable for me than the Xbox Music app which has seen multiple supposed production releases], and provides all needed functionality [should be even more functional as more of the coming soon features are added]); in fact, even if I were happy with iTunes on Windows I would still migrate to this because the UI is wonderful. I cannot wait to see what the Songs and Playlists view will look like, and I am already trying out your other apps. Wonderful work Raphael.

Finally got around to trying it on my main pc, working great so far, extremely polished for an initial preview release :)

Only issue I see so far is some tag reading weirdness with AC/DC:

Foobar2000 and even windows explorer see it properly as 'AC/DC', but for some reason dopamine sees it as 'AC; DC' and/or 'AC':

TzdWFJZ.png

Finally got around to trying it on my main pc, working great so far, extremely polished for an initial preview release :)

Only issue I see so far is some tag reading weirdness with AC/DC:

Foobar2000 and even windows explorer see it properly as 'AC/DC', but for some reason dopamine sees it as 'AC; DC' and/or 'AC':

Nice catch - AC/DC bug affects me too. Mine shows AC, just like Viper's screenshot.

Select artist and hit play? That is how it works right now unless i'm missing something.