Dopamine

you caused me to look in the cache folder. all album thumbnails and covers are there. not sure but Raphael did mention he improved on the synapse. that might be why. he passed me one a day or so ago and it helped but it stil wouldn't categorize my albums. then this build and.. viola!  synpase might have been part of the solution.

ah ok, cool. I think for now i'll only import a small folder of music less than 10Gigs because Synapse just spikes with ram usage when i tried to remove my 27Gigs of music and then just sits there eating more ram and cpu, I had to manually delete the folder for indexed items. I think for now Synapse is having a hard time indexing, adding or removing very large folders of music. Indexing has improved in the current build which is good :)

Hmm, I did a test. i deleted all the folders in my settings/folder section and readded the folders and it still isn't hitting. I think knifeparty was right. Darn!

ok I found out something. I checked the taskmanager and synapse isn't running. it used to be running. so i manually tried to start it and nothing. i think its synapse. otherwise I can only get Aerosmith to add :s

Hmm, I did a test. i deleted all the folders in my settings/folder section and readded the folders and it still isn't hitting. I think knifeparty was right. Darn!

ok I found out something. I checked the taskmanager and synapse isn't running. it used to be running. so i manually tried to start it and nothing. i think its synapse. otherwise I can only get Aerosmith to add :s

try uninstalling dopamine. clean the whole folder "dopamine" in the roaming folder. then try reinstalling clean and adding music. see if that works.

Chris, please download the DirectoryIterator.exe application which can be found here https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B-kioOJ2Tg7SflJfMDdiZnltNkNYZ2Rfb0xxQVcwTXhCbFZJcW1rS1hsYkpSa2lLUzQ1S0U&usp=sharing

If you downloaded it already yesterday, it is important that you download it again. Because the directory it scans is hardcoded and yesterday's version was scanning d:\music (silly mistake).

All this program does is scanning your This PC\Music folder and creating a logfile of the directories it could scan + possible errors. You'll have to send me that log.

I suspect Synapse briefly starts up but crashes almost soon after starting due to something it doesn't like in your directory tree. We'll have to find out what, and DirectoryIterator might help.

synapse must still be crashing. Don't get frustrated by this Raphael. We'll get it figured out. I installed the  DirectoryInterator. meh.. synpase still crashing. it stops after aerosmith still. I even moved all albums out of amazon music INSIDE the music folder and it isn't recognizing other folders.

Hey Chris, I'm sure we'll find it. DirectoryIterator won't help synapse though. It is a stand alone application. You just have to put it on your desktop (or any other location where the application has write access, as it needs to create a logfile called DirectoryIterator.log) and double click it.

A dos box will open, which shows you what the DirectoryIterator is doing. Once it is done, it will tell you that you can close the dos box. Once you have done that, please send me DirectoryIterator.log

Installed on Win10TP, work fine!  Synapse got to index my 258GB of songs (15666 files) without any problems, using 12% of my CPU while doing so.  The amont of memory taken by Synapse while indexing is between 150MB and 380MB, but mostly around 190MB.

• Like 1

This is just kinda my personal preference, but can I suggest a horizontal mode that doesn't display the album art so it can be minimal when on top? Something like this (just cobbled it together as a demonstration)

horizontal.png

I currently still use Winamp because of the windowshade mode, but I'd love to move to something better. This is what my Winamp looks like:

winamp.png

Just a suggestion for more usability. I honestly don't see the advantage in displaying album artwork a lot of the time. It is a feature lacking from most media players - just plain function, no bells.

• Like 1

It writes files to AppData though. Would be awesome if it could be altered to store these in the install directory to make it portable :)

EDIT - It also leaves those files there after uninstall.

Loving this!

In Settings.xml there is a key "IsPortable". If you set thsi to true, it should start writing this stuff in the directory it is executed from. Untested though, so you're on your own for now :)

This is just kinda my personal preference, but can I suggest a horizontal mode that doesn't display the album art so it can be minimal when on top? Something like this (just cobbled it together as a demonstration)

horizontal.png

I currently still use Winamp because of the windowshade mode, but I'd love to move to something better. This is what my Winamp looks like:

winamp.png

Just a suggestion for more usability. I honestly don't see the advantage in displaying album artwork a lot of the time. It is a feature lacking from most media players - just plain function, no bells.

There is a window shade mode planned. The only flaw with your design would be that it is higher than the window height. So it gets in the way.

My preference would go to something like the windowshade mode of winamp (but better looking :))

Portable works fine and doesn't deposit files anywhere other than the directory its run from, thanks again!

That's great news! :) I designed it that way a few months ago while creating the new settings system. But didn't test it anymore since then.

its looking good Rapha

indexing large amounts of music let's say over 200GB on average is really fast on Foobar. But that's foobar, its always fast. Indexing took over 3 hours for me with synapse, compared to Foobar which takes over 30 mins or so. I think one of the problems is that Synapse pulls out the embedded album art and puts it into a folder, which adds so much indexing strain. I'm not sure, let me know :)

Album art could indeed be the cause. I'll do tests with an without caching of art. The caching is done mainly to keep the list of covers speedy.

• Like 2

Sorry for the noob question, but what does this indexing thing do? Why is it needed?

Really? It needs to index you files to get Artist, Album, Song, and cover to display to you, how else is it going to show you your library?