Dopamine

+Raphaël G.

Not sure if it was suggested yet so ignore this if it was, but a "filesystem view" would be handy as well.. that is, just show them organized how it is on disk.  (I personally am suuuper lazy when it comes to tagging.)

Couple more minor suggestions:

• Another handy option (well for a few anyway) would be the ability to do "something" on events.. IE, when the track changes, playback stops, etc I could have it launch a shell script. It's a minor thing, but I like having stuff tie into my notification system and LCD panel. All it would need is a string holding a command line to run, fire and forget it.
  • Have it remember the window state when restarting; I typically leave my players minimized and launch music elsewhere. If I close it minimized, have it start up again minimized too. Again, it's a little thing.
  • The thumbnail view ideally should show the cover-art of the currently playing song, not the whole player.

Pretty snazzy otherwise.. not enough quality WPF-based software out there. 

I like the scripting idea. Just brainstorming a bit now. I'm just thinking about a screen with a list of events and a file chooser per event, which allows attaching an executable file to that event. It would also probably be useful to have the event providing some parameters to the executed file. Did you have something like that in mind?

For the window state: I'm remembering all but minimized right now :) I'll add remembering of minimize as an option, as not everyone might like that.

The thumbnail view showing album art is planned. Just didn't start implementing yet.

Knife Party

chrisj1968

The UI is still responsive as always which is very nice. I indexed about 260GB of music, mostly mp3 320kb and FLAC at about 29,690 files in total.

Here a perf. screenshot

And Thanks so much! The volume scrolling would be nice. Also, thanks for the tips. Will keep you posted on anything else man, cheers :)

have noticed any lagging issues? based upon the memory usage if any?

+Raphaël G.

For those willing to help with translations, I've uploaded the English template. If you browse to the downloads page on my blog (http://raphaelgodart.tumblr.com/downloads) and click on "Dopamine", you'll get to my Google drive where the Dopamine builds are also located. There is a new folder "Translation". Download the EN.Xaml file. It is pretty straight forward. All texts are in this format:

<system:String x:Key="Language_Confirm_Remove_Folder">Are you sure you want to remove this folder from your collection?</system:String>

Just translate what is between the tags, not what is inside the x:Key part. Once translated, you can just send the file back to me by any means (PM might be easiest).

Currently Dopamine doesn't support right to left languages.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Knife Party

have noticed any lagging issues? based upon the memory usage if any?

absolutely no lag what so ever. Although indexing is taking a long time, it was almost 2 hours to index, but that doesn't matter to me anyways. Otherwise i'd say go crazy on importing tracks, this player is smooth :)

Max Norris

chrisj1968

absolutely no lag what so ever. Although indexing is taking a long time, it was almost 2 hours to index, but that doesn't matter to me anyways. Otherwise i'd say go crazy on importing tracks, this player is smooth :)

ok, I did a test run myself and nothing here either. I'm using only 64MB in dopamine and synapsis around 20.1 

Though I do have the "latest" synapsis file from Raph, trying to figure out why my folders weren't showing up by just throwing my music folder as a whole at it.

Excelsis

First of all, I just stumbled upon this 30 minutes ago and I am in LOVE. This is replacing Winamp as my music player right this instant.

I was wondering though, does this support Replaygain tags? Just curious.

Now to the feedback. An option to disable the taskbar progress bar thing would be nice, I think that looks kinda... tacky, I guess? Never really liked this for music/video players to be honest.

For some reason AC/DC shows up as AC; DC in the library. My files are tagged properly, at least as far as I know.

And lastly, as you can see in my attached screenshot, when using white borders in Windows, the Play/Rewind/Forward buttons aren't very noticeable.

Actually, one more thing, I've got a small request, if it's possible at all. It would be nice if we could change the background color, besides the Dark/Light themes. I realize this might go against your view for this app though, so don't feel obligated to anything.

That's about it for now, amazing work so far. :)

post-67543-0-52584100-1423774616.jpg

Knife Party

So I think I came across an issue. Once my 27k files were indexed. everytime I open Dopamine for a clean instance with the database Synapse spikes to 35%CPU and about 270mb RAM for about 10 mins non stop. The dopamine player process and UI itself is smooth, but Synapse seems to be working over time to either check over album, meta data or trying to maintain the database Raphael. Here's a few screenies.

post-231269-0-98466700-1423776591.png

post-231269-0-08549800-1423776601.png

• Like 1

+Raphaël G.

First of all, I just stumbled upon this 30 minutes ago and I am in LOVE. This is replacing Winamp as my music player right this instant.

I was wondering though, does this support Replaygain tags? Just curious.

Now to the feedback. An option to disable the taskbar progress bar thing would be nice, I think that looks kinda... tacky, I guess? Never really liked this for music/video players to be honest.

For some reason AC/DC shows up as AC; DC in the library. My files are tagged properly, at least as far as I know.

And lastly, as you can see in my attached screenshot, when using white borders in Windows, the Play/Rewind/Forward buttons aren't very noticeable.

Actually, one more thing, I've got a small request, if it's possible at all. It would be nice if we could change the background color, besides the Dark/Light themes. I realize this might go against your view for this app though, so don't feel obligated to anything.

That's about it for now, amazing work so far. :)

It doesn't support replaygain.

I'll add an option to disable the taskbar progress, but it will be enabled by default.

I confirm the AC/DC bug, it happens here too. I didn't notice it yet, so thanks for reporting it. I've logged a bug.

Indeed, I've never tested with the white windows theme. The buttons will need to be redesigned. I've logged a bug for this too.

For the dark/light colors: not sure yet. Maybe in a far future :)

Thanks! :)

So I think I came across an issue. Once my 27k files were indexed. everytime I open Dopamine for a clean instance with the database Synapse spikes to 35%CPU and about 270mb RAM for about 10 mins non stop. The dopamine player process and UI itself is smooth, but Synapse seems to be working over time to either check over album, meta data or trying to maintain the database Raphael. Here's a few screenies.

Yep, it starts each time Dopamine starts, to make sure there were no changes to your files while Dopamine was not running. This initial check should however be quicker, since it is very long for big collections. I have planned to optimize it. So let's say it's a known issue :)

• Like 1

HawkMan

does it support replaygain? both scanning and adding and for playback?

Knife Party

+Raphaël G.

does it support replaygain? both scanning and adding and for playback?

No

HawkMan

guess I should have gone to the last page and read the last reply before I asked about replaygain

+Raphaël G.

guess I should have gone to the last page and read the last reply before I asked about replaygain

No problem :) It's getting hard to track all the answers.

HawkMan

+Raphaël G.

any plans to support it? for me at least it's pretty essential for a modern music player to avoid annoying volume differences.

Not sure yet. I have no idea how to add it at the moment. But I'll create a task to look at it when I have some time.

chrisj1968

we want to make sure the basic functions get working. then we can focus on bigger feaures like CD ripping etc later. if CD ripping is relevant then

+Raphaël G.

Dopamine 1.0.0 Build 118 is available. I didn't have much time for big changes, but pretty neat changelog anyway:

- Improved Synapse indexer robustness
- Added option to organize Tracks alphabetically or by Album
- Fixed some UI bugs
- Added an checkbox to the installer to launch Dopamine after installation
- Fixed visibility of taskbar buttons with Windows white theme
- Added volume changing by scrolling with the mouse
- Added an option to show or hide playback progress on the taskbar

You can download here as usual.

• Like 4

chrisj1968

Knife Party

+Raphaël G.

(Y) . That issue we were working on with my music folder, all artists are properly indexed. way to go Raphael!

Really? By adding "This PC/Music"?

chrisj1968

Knife Party

Actually, I installed the new build, then all my music was already indexed and ready to play. you fixed it whatever it was

38 artists, 24 albums 302 songs. I have a Jillion CD's to rip and add. But yes, it works

If you don't remove the database of cache'd files for dopamine from a previous build in the roaming private folder, the new build properly reads it now. My guess

chrisj1968

If you don't remove the database of cache'd files for dopamine from a previous build in the roaming private folder, the new build properly reads it now. My guess

you caused me to look in the cache folder. all album thumbnails and covers are there. not sure but Raphael did mention he improved on the synapse. that might be why. he passed me one a day or so ago and it helped but it stil wouldn't categorize my albums. then this build and.. viola!  synpase might have been part of the solution.