Star Trek: Picard (CBS All Access)

On 2/16/2020 at 3:36 PM, shockz said:

I can definitely see that, after the dominion war, mars incident, etc... and that they took Picards mothball concept and went with it. I still have a feeling we'll see a starship or two by seasons end.

Mar's isn't Starfleet's only shipyard, merely its main one.  I'm sure that in the intervening years since it burned, they've upgraded others.

5 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Mar's isn't Starfleet's only shipyard, merely its main one.  I'm sure that in the intervening years since it burned, they've upgraded others.

Doesn’t look like it, with old recycled shuttles and them nowhere to be seen.  

Even during the Mars attack there were dsc ships sitting in space dock. 

starfleet seems to have a capacity issue after dom war, there weren’t enough ships seems to be a constant theme with this series. 

In reality it’s probably some red tape issue where the majority of ship designs we’ve saw are part of cbs/Viacom differences, and the show was completed before the merger discussions happened. I’m sure season 2 will have more ships. 

Edited by shockz
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

That's accepted Trek cannon.  But can you, without looking anything up, name another?

I can't.

12 minutes ago, Human.Online said:

That's accepted Trek cannon.  But can you, without looking anything up, name another?

I can't.

I thought there was one near Jupiter, wasn't it also largely featured in Into Darkness with the secret ship piloted by Robocop? (all this without looking anything up) 😛 

Edit: I wasn't far off 😛 

In the 2013 sequel, Montgomery "Scotty" Scott discovers a covert Starfleet facility, near Jupiter, that has built a much larger Federation warship, USS Vengeance. Source

4 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

I thought there was one near Jupiter, wasn't it also largely featured in Into Darkness with the secret ship piloted by Robocop? (all this without looking anything up) 😛 

Edit: I wasn't far off 😛 

Different timeline ;)

28 minutes ago, Human.Online said:

I can't.

Without looking anything up, I can name two.  One at Deep Space 5, and another in San Francisco.  WITH looking it up, there are a lot more...

40 Eridani A Starfleet Construction Yards

Antares Ship Yards

Baikonur Cosmodrome

Beta Antares Ship Yards

Copernicus Ship Yards

Deep Space 5

Earth Station McKinley

Iadara colony

Luna Shipyards

Marin County Starfleet Yards

Oakland Fleet Yards

Proxima Maintenance Yards

Riverside Shipyard

San Francisco Fleet Yards (also known as "San Francisco Naval Yards" or "San Francisco Yards")

Starbase 47

Starbase 234

Tranquility Base

University of Copernicus

Utopia Planitia Fleet Yards (also known as "Utopia Planitia Ship Yards")

Tri-Rho Nautica (Located close to the Klingon border and the largest of Starfleet's shipyards)

Everyone should know the San Francisco one.. It's the orbital drydock facility near Earth, as seen in Star Trek the Motion Picture and several others.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Without looking anything up, I can name two.  One at Deep Space 5, and another in San Francisco.  WITH looking it up, there are a lot more...

40 Eridani A Starfleet Construction Yards

Antares Ship Yards

Baikonur Cosmodrome

Beta Antares Ship Yards

Copernicus Ship Yards

Deep Space 5

Earth Station McKinley

Iadara colony

Luna Shipyards

Marin County Starfleet Yards

Oakland Fleet Yards

Proxima Maintenance Yards

Riverside Shipyard

San Francisco Fleet Yards (also known as "San Francisco Naval Yards" or "San Francisco Yards")

Starbase 47

Starbase 234

Tranquility Base

University of Copernicus

Utopia Planitia Fleet Yards (also known as "Utopia Planitia Ship Yards")

Tri-Rho Nautica (Located close to the Klingon border and the largest of Starfleet's shipyards)

Everyone should know the San Francisco one.. It's the orbital drydock facility near Earth, as seen in Star Trek the Motion Picture and several others.

OK yeah, the San Fran one was kinda obvious.  The others, are they cannon?

My point being, there has to be some explanation for the lack of modern ships:

1) Not as many shipyards as we thought

2) Throwing accepted cannon out the window

3 minutes ago, Human.Online said:

OK yeah, the San Fran one was kinda obvious.  The others, are they cannon?

My point being, there has to be some explanation for the lack of modern ships:

1) Not as many shipyards as we thought

2) Throwing accepted cannon out the window

I'm pretty sure every single one has featured in at least one TV episode throughout the years.  Some may only be in ST:TAS, but those are still official canon as they were on TV; which is the primary criteria.

I think Starfleet has plenty of the regular ships; it just doesn't have COLONY ships. Big massive people movers that would be necessary for moving entire worlds of people.  Something like the holoships we saw in Insurrection.  IMO, that's almost certainly the sort of thing they were referring to, given the context of the Romulan evacuation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FloatingFatMan said:

I'm pretty sure every single one has featured in at least one TV episode throughout the years.  Some may only be in ST:TAS, but those are still official canon as they were on TV; which is the primary criteria.

Hence the latter then?

See - we saw the San Fran campus and it was busy with uniformed people and people literally constantly beaming in and out via those archway transporters.

Where are the ships in orbit?  Hell where was spacedock?

It's obvious that Earth has improved its transporter technology enough so that it's now instant instead of taking several seconds to cycle.  That alone has probably negated the need for so many ships in orbit. As for the orbital station, just because they didn't show it, doesn't mean it's not there.

Also, I would imagine that they're expending quite a lot of resources to put Mar's out...

• Like 1

I don't think ship counts or showing off brand new ship designs were the goal for the show to start.  Who knows what we might see later or in season 2 but I just think they didn't plan for them and the VFX team hasn't done any work on more ships.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, George P said:

I don't think ship counts or showing off brand new ship designs were the goal for the show to start.  Who knows what we might see later or in season 2 but I just think they didn't plan for them and the VFX team hasn't done any work on more ships.

This is for certain the OOC reason, but you know fans.. Always trying to figure out and IC reason for something they didn't show on TV. :p

16 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

It's obvious that Earth has improved its transporter technology enough so that it's now instant instead of taking several seconds to cycle. 

Hell, in Picard they were just walking through a "doorway" and they were transported.

• Like 1

Rumor has it Worf is the new captain of the Enterprise and that he, and the Enterprise, will make an appearance at some point in the series.

5 hours ago, spacelordmaster said:

Rumor has it Worf is the new captain of the Enterprise and that he, and the Enterprise, will make an appearance at some point in the series.

Well, it's known he was on set at one point as his signature is on one of the "wrap" clapboards, but they've been vehemently denying he was shooting anything. I *would* love to see Worf again though, and Dorn would jump at the chance to be in Trek again, especially considering he tried to get them to create a Worf based show...

2 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Well, it's known he was on set at one point as his signature is on one of the "wrap" clapboards, but they've been vehemently denying he was shooting anything. I *would* love to see Worf again though, and Dorn would jump at the chance to be in Trek again, especially considering he tried to get them to create a Worf based show...

I am pretty sure they are denying it just like they denied bringing Frakes and other characters. They just don’t want to spoil the surprise. I am quite sure we will see the Enterprise once again and Worf and Crusher and Geordi. I know for sure Q will be there soon. Probably by the end of the season on the last episode.

The newest episode was good, we hardly got any answers though, just some good 7 character development. 

3 hours ago, George P said:

The newest episode was good, we hardly got any answers though, just some good 7 character development. 

Yes, and then at the very end, even more questions!

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with it either, shes still trying to "find herself"

One thing I'm not a fan of though is how the phasers seem to be more like projectile weapons now... Thanks JJ..

3 minutes ago, Matthew S. said:

Nothing wrong with it either, shes still trying to "find herself"

I mean she embraced her humanity by the end of voyager, especially near the end of its run, and now she’s a soulless renegade? I mean, sure, losing a “son/kin” would be traumatizing and anyone would seek revenge, but I don’t like that she’s gone full vigilante. Almost dexter style.  Also, not seeing the Bi angle. 

• Like 2

While she did embrace it, I don't believe she found her purpose by the end of VOY.  Also remember there's about a 16 year gap minimum between when VOY got back to the Alpha Quadrant and Picard too...

17 minutes ago, Matthew S. said:

While she did embrace it, I don't believe she found her purpose by the end of VOY.  Also remember there's about a 16 year gap minimum between when VOY got back to the Alpha Quadrant and Picard too...

I could go with the angle of helping the helpless, especially with xB, but out right premeditatedly murdering someone? That’s not Seven. A plot that was subtly explored during voyagers run (see: Infinite Regress, Imperfection, Survival Instinct, Prey), especially with the guilt of being a borg drone assisting in the countless destruction and murder of people while being in the collective. It’s just counter to everything her character was made into.

Edited by shockz