Could this be malware?

What specific card do you have?  You could always pick up one, test it - does your problem go away.. Great.. Keep new card and move on.  If same issue, did you get a non nvidia card?  Something else going on that is really odd since you don't see the problem with the built in video.

How old is your video, maybe its time for a little upgrade that can be had real cheap.. The older gen cards can be gotten really cheap, but still could be better than what you have currently.. When my card died I picked up the GT 710 for $45 ;)  Not a big gamer or anything.. Just wanted something that could display to my older monitors. dvi and vga..  Side bonus got nvenc for x264 in the new card.. And drastically reduced transcoding time ;)

After you do your testing, or get your old card working without the issue, you could always return the purchased test card..

If there is an issue with windows, and nvidia I am not seeing it.  Now my system is not the same as yours and not same card, etc.  But we are on the same build, so I doubt its something across the board wrong, etc. must be something specific to your hardware.. So since we know the issue doesn't happen with built in, try a new card, different maker, etc.  Or just live with the built in video?

36 minutes ago, BudMan said:

What specific card do you have?  You could always pick up one, test it - does your problem go away.. Great.. Keep new card and move on.  If same issue, did you get a non nvidia card?  Something else going on that is really odd since you don't see the problem with the built in video.

How old is your video, maybe its time for a little upgrade that can be had real cheap.. The older gen cards can be gotten really cheap, but still could be better than what you have currently.. When my card died I picked up the GT 710 for $45 ;)  Not a big gamer or anything.. Just wanted something that could display to my older monitors. dvi and vga..  Side bonus got nvenc for x264 in the new card.. And drastically reduced transcoding time ;)

After you do your testing, or get your old card working without the issue, you could always return the purchased test card..

If there is an issue with windows, and nvidia I am not seeing it.  Now my system is not the same as yours and not same card, etc.  But we are on the same build, so I doubt its something across the board wrong, etc. must be something specific to your hardware.. So since we know the issue doesn't happen with built in, try a new card, different maker, etc.  Or just live with the built in video?

Based on another thread there budman he replaced two dieing 650's with a single 1660ti.

Funny thing is I've always had similar problems with nVidia cards (actually eVGA branded ones specifically, which is why you'll never see me recommend one nor use one in a personal rig lol)

Well that sure isn't a "cheap" card ;)  And pretty recent as well.. So scratch that idea, unless he has a few hundred laying around to test with..

Sure he is grabbing the correct drivers for that card.. On the Nvidia site only 436.15, comes up for the 1660 ti

Yeah I have an EVGA GTX 1660TI Ultra Gaming card. I replaced my old 650's when they started to overheat. Should I try installing Nvidia Experience and see what it installs for drivers?

EDIT: There are several posts on this type of issue on the Nvidia forums. The techs now are calling it a known issue and the latest drives, 436.15 are no longer recommended until Microsoft releases a fix. HOWEVER, it looks like this fix from Microsoft is only going to be released in a preview update. Not sure what to do now.

On 9/5/2019 at 3:51 PM, ReAnimation said:

As a heads up, Windows 10 1903 has a habit of grabbing DCH drivers for graphics cards - If you then try to download the 'standard' drivers from nVidia and install them - the installer will fall over as the DCH driver windows fetches is incompatible with the standard driver.

I had this problem myself when I upgraded graphics card.

If Windows has installed a DCH driver, the best course of action is to download the standard driver from nVidia then unplug the ethernet cable from the PC (this will stop windows redownloading the DCH driver whilst you install the standard driver).

The next step is to remove the DCH driver (load up Device manager, right click the graphics card, choose 'uninstall device', then when the dialogue appears tick the 'delete the driver software for this device').

Once done, reboot your PC, then install the standard nVidia driver.

Once this is done, you'll then be fine to plug the ethernet cable back into your PC.

nVidia has info on DCH drivers here: https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4777/~/nvidia-dch%2Fstandard-display-drivers-for-windows-10-faq

Refer to the link provided...

From what I can gather this Issue only happens on Windows 10  and  keeping the NVIDIA GPU continuously active resolves the issue. It seems that the lag/freeze issue occurs when GPU goes from sleep state to active state. Nvidia blames Microsoft and while Microsoft says they are releasing a fix they point the finger at the video drivers.

2 minutes ago, Matthew S. said:

Refer to the link provided...

Thanks.

Ok, so the standard and DCH drivers are essentially the same but packaged differently. There is also a problem with the DCH drivers not installing the Nvidia control panel. I had this trouble some time ago and I had to install the control panel from the Windows store

7 hours ago, devnulllore said:

Ok, so the standard and DCH drivers are essentially the same but packaged differently. There is also a problem with the DCH drivers not installing the Nvidia control panel. I had this trouble some time ago and I had to install the control panel from the Windows store

Thats actually the correct way to get the nvidia control panel when using the DCH driver...

Ok, so I I was able to upgrade my drivers to the 436.15 DCH drivers and I still had the stuttering. I decided to go ahead and install the current insider preview which supposedly has the fix in it. Let's just say that's a whole other nightmare and forget I tried it. I am back to a fresh install with the 436.15 drivers waiting patiently for a fix for this "known issue". I can say since installing the new drivers I have 2 Nvidia processes, Nvidia Share and Nvidia Container that periodically blow up in memory usage and suddenly use very high power then they close and start over. I am guessing that is due to what Nvidia says is happening with the GPU going from an idle state to active. Has anyone else seen this with those or other processes?

1 hour ago, devnulllore said:

It's actually the worst it's ever been now. After about every 2 hours I have to reboot because windows become unusable

If your GPU is still new can you not get a refund or replacement if that is causing you all this grief as you have had this issue months?

I would think if as bad as you have described due to drivers or windows issue the problem would be very wide spread with that card.. It's not like it is a niche card or anything... If possible to get a replacement what can it hurt to try that..

We are the same build of windows, and the same driver for nvidia - while sure there are differences.. Since not having the issue and on same version of windows and same graphic drivers, kind of points away from it being driver related or windows related..

And you don't have the problem when using built in video.. So if replacement is viable - why not try that..

1 minute ago, devnulllore said:

Why, if it still is an issue then it would eliminate the video card.

Or it could also mean that all those cards have an issue with your system and if you used a different brand it may work? My reasoning is it works fine with onboard?