PearPC no More?

I don't belive. I think they decided to disscontinue the PearPC project and wanted to go out with a bang like 'my friend the main programmer died!' please this is an obvios ploy you would be suprised how many people on source forge fake there deaths :rolleyes:

And if this is true then I'm sorry and take all that back :( (I hope im right and no one got killed though)

Cut the crap, apple would have no grounds to make them stop. They don't own the PowerPC. Show some common sense and respect.

Apple had grounds to stop YzDock because it emulated OSX's dock. This emulates OSX.

Apple had grounds to stop YzDock because it emulated OSX's dock. This emulates OSX.

No, it emulates the PowerPC architecture. OSX just happens to run on it. You can also run Linux distro's made for the PowerPC using PearPC.

I don't belive. I think they decided to disscontinue the PearPC project and wanted to go out with a bang like 'my friend the main programmer died!' please this is an obvios ploy you would be suprised how many people on source forge fake there deaths :rolleyes:

And if this is true then I'm sorry and take all that back :( (I hope im right and no one got killed though)

well at least someone agrees with me.

I don't belive. I think they decided to disscontinue the PearPC project and wanted to go out with a bang like 'my friend the main programmer died!' please this is an obvios ploy you would be suprised how many people on source forge fake there deaths  :rolleyes:

And if this is true then I'm sorry and take all that back  :(  (I hope im right and no one got killed though)

what an arrogant comment! :crazy:

just because it isn't usual, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Just because he says it, it does not make it true I wanna see proof before i start going round writeing RIP and feeling sorry for someone who has died. You gotta admit its fishy!

No, it emulates the PowerPC architecture. OSX just happens to run on it. You can also run Linux distro's made for the PowerPC using PearPC.

you can also use kazaa for legal purposes but that dosent stop the riaa from bitching about it.

this is what happened, apple wanted them to stop pearpc, but they didnt have the grounds to stop them because it could be used for legal purposes. however, the difference between kazaa and these guys is, kazaa had a ****load of money to defend themseleves in court. these guys know that if they take it to court, theyre going to be broke for life.

you can also use kazaa for legal purposes but that dosent stop the riaa from bitching about it.

this is what happened, apple wanted them to stop pearpc, but they didnt have the grounds to stop them because it could be used for legal purposes. however, the difference between kazaa and these guys is, kazaa had a ****load of money to defend themseleves in court. these guys know that if they take it to court, theyre going to be broke for life.

Sounds about right I agree.

no offense but how does one go about getting hit by a train...honestly...

drugs, alcohol, listening to music while running

its not that unique. There was a train death near my house last year.

did any of you guys ever think that maybe he was an anti-social programmer who sat in front of the computer all day and just got sick of life , got in his car and stop on the railroad tracks?

but this guy got hit by a train.

how many geeks go playing around in train tracks?

Exactly. I don't think this is right at all.

BTW: I tried searching the local newspapers of where this guy lived and I couldn't find a mention of it. Surely if someone got hit down by a train it would be in the local news. I'll try again tommorrow and see what happened.

I was referring to the date missmatch. The story was posted in June but he died in July. It looks like someone actually fiddled the date in the mySQL database because surely they would just use the NOW() function?

Add to that the stupidity (pardon my phrasing) of the remaining developer on CVS checkins and other stuff, it sounds like Apple has gave them a nice payoff. If you haven't read it, the only way that it would continue if a lot of the developers split and made a fork, it would take them at least a YEAR to get back started at the same pace of current development. Just enough time for Apple to make a bunch of protection for Tiger.

Just because it emulates the PPC arch doesn't mean Apple is not intrested. Imagine if this emulated PPC at 50% speed - this would make the fastest PC run OSX at nearly the same speed as fastest Mac for at least 50% of the cost. It would RUIN apple.

Now imagine someone selling a Linux box set up to boot this, an X server and jump directly into OSX. If marketed correctly it could ruin Apple completetly. Who would pay twice the price for a machine that is as good as the Mac, and in some ways better. Don't forget the new Apple displays work with PC now.

Think ahead here people - Apple has proved it is as preadatory as Microsoft when it comes to lawsuits.

Now then I do apolgize if I am coming across as very insensitive, but I personally don't think it adds up.

edit: typos

Exactly. I don't think this is right at all.

BTW: I tried searching the local newspapers of where this guy lived and I couldn't find a mention of it. Surely if someone got hit down by a train it would be in the local news. I'll try again tommorrow and see what happened.

I was referring to the date missmatch. The story was posted in June but he died in July. It looks like someone actually fiddled the date in the mySQL database because surely they would just use the NOW() function?

Add to that the stupidity (pardon my phrasing) of the remaining developer on CVS checkins and other stuff, it sounds like Apple has gave them a nice payoff. If you haven't read it, the only way that it would continue if a lot of the developers split and made a fork, it would take them at least a YEAR to get back started at the same pace of current development. Just enough time for Apple to make a bunch of protection for Tiger.

Just because it emulates the PPC arch doesn't mean Apple is not intrested. Imagine if this emulated PPC at 50% speed - this would make the fastest PC run OSX at nearly the same speed as fastest Mac for at least 50% of the cost. It would RUIN apple.

Now imagine someone selling a Linux box set up to boot this, an X server and jump directly into OSX. If marketed correctly it could ruin Apple completetly. Who would pay twice the price for a machine that is as good as the Mac, and in some ways better. Don't forget the new Apple displays work with PC now.

Think ahead here people - Apple has proved it is as preadatory as Microsoft when it comes to lawsuits.

Now then I do apolgize if I am coming across as very insensitive, but I personally don't think it adds up.

edit: typos

although i agree with you completly here, i just hope that people wont turn this into a flamewar of "the fastest mac is faster than the fastest pc blablablablab." please, this is not the place to discuss this.