PearPC no More?

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that at all. I was just suggesting that Apple is having problems with 90nm and PCs could catch up (or surpass) the G5.

Please don't turn this into a flame war guys. This is not the place nor the time.

Exactly. I don't think this is right at all.

BTW: I tried searching the local newspapers of where this guy lived and I couldn't find a mention of it. Surely if someone got hit down by a train it would be in the local news. I'll try again tommorrow and see what happened.

I was referring to the date missmatch. The story was posted in June but he died in July. It looks like someone actually fiddled the date in the mySQL database because surely they would just use the NOW() function?

Add to that the stupidity (pardon my phrasing) of the remaining developer on CVS checkins and other stuff, it sounds like Apple has gave them a nice payoff. If you haven't read it, the only way that it would continue if a lot of the developers split and made a fork, it would take them at least a YEAR to get back started at the same pace of current development. Just enough time for Apple to make a bunch of protection for Tiger.

Just because it emulates the PPC arch doesn't mean Apple is not intrested. Imagine if this emulated PPC at 50% speed - this would make the fastest PC run OSX at nearly the same speed as fastest Mac for at least 50% of the cost. It would RUIN apple.

Now imagine someone selling a Linux box set up to boot this, an X server and jump directly into OSX. If marketed correctly it could ruin Apple completetly. Who would pay twice the price for a machine that is as good as the Mac, and in some ways better. Don't forget the new Apple displays work with PC now.

Think ahead here people - Apple has proved it is as preadatory as Microsoft when it comes to lawsuits.

Now then I do apolgize if I am coming across as very insensitive, but I personally don't think it adds up.

edit: typos

that could be posible,a train death must go to the local newspaper,its too rare

and the apple thing its possible too

if it isnt real,why fake a death?he being a succesful programer,he would easily get a job somewhere else and quit the pear pc project,but because of this i think the death is real and may he rip :wilted_rose:

thats the beauty of open source If a nuclear missile hit Remond tommorrow, a bunch of software could never ever be worked on again (I'm assuming that MS keeps all of its sourcecode in one location).

that sucks,

if it isnt real,why fake a death?he being a succesful programer,he would easily get a job somewhere else and quit the pear pc project,but because of this i think the death is real and may he rip :wilted_rose:

I totally agree that if it's real, may he RIP.

I was thinking this through and the reason is very simple to why fake a death. Documentation. Now no-one will have support for the most likley gobs of code this guy wrote (remember, these two worked on this project for nearly 2 years 'dual-handley'). No-one will be able to consult him on how he wrote a certain thing - because everyone thinks he's dead.

I will try the local newspapers tommorrow as it only happened a few hours ago. But, I agree if it's happened it should be in the newspapers.

that sucks,

I wouldn't worry about it -- it was only a hypothetical idea. I'm sure that MS has backups of all it's sourcecode on multiple places around the world. I think the lack of people if they all died would be a larger problem.

from where i'm sitting, a train death is possible, but in most cases, it's a suicide, and it wall make local news. every time.

give it 24 hours, but i'm not convinced either way yet

he dosent want people to be emailing him going

"meh :crazy: make my pearpc faster bitch"

Ok guys. It has been 24 hours since the death - if you read the newspeace it says 'yesterday evening'.

I searched a local newspaper for his region and this is a google translation of it:

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=ht...Flanguage_tools

There is not one story mentioning it, but there is stories mentioning white cows etc.

Maybe i am looking in the wrong section - if anyone speaks German could they have a look at www.an-online.de

The guy is from Aachen, Germany which I gather is a part of Berlin or at least close to it, so it could be a large area.

But I stand by my judgement that something doesn't add up here.

Imagine if this emulated PPC at 50% speed - this would make the fastest PC run OSX at nearly the same speed as fastest Mac for at least 50% of the cost.

And then he woke up...

/me zips it.

A very sad time for that young mans familly.... things such as this shouldnt happen, very tragic

i hope they all come through this... the project isnt what really matters here, a man lost his life.. a human being

whether we knew him or not, we should feel for his family and friends

R.I.P. dude

Actually newspapers (atleast here in Sweden) often don't print suicide stories, one reason being when they do the number of suicides often goes up.

but were assuming this wasnt suicide.

Maybe i am looking in the wrong section - if anyone speaks German could they have a look at www.an-online.de

I know some German. I'll have a look and see if I find anything.

The guy is from Aachen, Germany which I gather is a part of Berlin or at least close to it, so it could be a large area.
Aachen is a City in west Germany. It's along the Belgian border. Just have a look at thismap of Germany showing the position of Aachen in relation to Germany. The city is resonably big, but i'm reasonably sure that if someone was hit by a train it should be somewhere in the newspapers.
But I stand by my judgement that something doesn't add up here.

I have to agree with you. Some things just don't seem to fit together properly

I mean no disrespect, but I'm just wondering how someone could get hit by a train?

Same question here. You usually only get hit by a train if you're walking dangerously close to the railroad tracks, or if you try quickly to get past the lowered barriers on a railroad track, because you think if you don't see the train, you've still plenty of time to get across the tracks.

Many suicides don't appear in our newspapers here in Belgium. If they had to write about every guy/girl that got hit by a subwaytrain nobody would want to drive those anymore.

WTF?!

Aachen is exactly 14km away from where I sit right now. I never heard anything of a guy being steamrolled by a train. On top of that, the railroad tracks inside the city are for the most part on bridges. The only parts you could effectively get rolled over by a train is the german-belgian border, where the rails go thru the woods, and past Aachen towards inner-Germany where the same applies.

---edit---

I checked the online archive of the Aachener Zeitung, and I find only stuff about two train accidents. The most recent article mentions a train accident only in relation that some citizen thought something sounded like one. It's the newest article and dates mid-May 2004.

So no, seems like one big scam.