PearPC no More?

Why does there NEED to be evidence? The person spearheading the PearPC project announced a death from a train. With so little facts on the plate, no one really knows the circumstances that led up to the train colliding with this man. So why assume the worst and most sinister and about the announcement?

Heh, you want to know what the worst about the announcement would be? That it's true. So quit saying that people who are questioning it are making things worse; if it's a fake, then everyone should be happy that someone is alive rather than dead.

Heh, you want to know what the worst about the announcement would be? That it's true. So quit saying that people who are questioning it are making things worse; if it's a fake, then everyone should be happy that someone is alive rather than dead.

I would welcome the announcement being a fake for the very reason you stated, rather know that someone was in fact alive rather then dead.

You are right, the worst thing about the announcement would be that it was true, it was a poorly worded post on my part. What it should been is "So why assume the worst and most sinister and about the man who made the announcement?"

My reasons for defending the announcement were somewhat personally motivated (and this is not intended as a defense of my posting or me grasping for pity). Having experienced the death and suicide of more than one family member myself not to mention numerous suicide attempts, I appreciate the sensitivity of times like these to family and friends. Having people question the credibility of the announcement on a public forum strikes me as being incredibly insensitive when there is no solid evidence that the announcement was true or false. If someone was under the belief that the announcement was false (or that there was a strong possibility that there was) the appropriate action in my eyes would be to stay silent until there was unequivocal proof supporting such a claim, as mouthing off prematurely could easily make things worse for the family and friends who happen to stumble upon such a post if the announcement was true. That was the motivation behind my posts.

I didn't keep a cool head when posting last night in this thread, I took everything a bit too personally which I shouldn't have done. For whatever it's worth I apologize. Slightly OT, my own sister made an attempt on her life just last night and about 4 days before as well, so this whole topic hit pretty close to home. My sister will live by the way. Consequently, I'm going to refrain from posting in this thread any more because I don't trust myself to keep a cool and rational head.

Oh, OK, I understand what you meant now. I agree with you that it would be bad for the family to see people saying that he's not dead when he actually is, but conversely, I think it'd also be bad for the family to see reports that he's dead when he actually isn't. In my opinion, I think questioning the announcement is OK so long as it's done in the most sensitive manner possible. People saying that it's an Apple conspiracy and he was murdered and all of this crap aren't being sensitive, they're being asses. Still, I certainly understand your point of view and where you're coming from.

In addition, good luck with all that's going on in your life. I can't even imagine how hard all of this must be for you, and you've certainly kept a cooler head than I would have had I seen this thread under the same circumstances as you did. I'm glad your sister will live, and I hope everything gets better soon. :)

..but conversely, I think it'd also be bad for the family to see reports that he's dead when he actually isn't.
Very good point. :yes: I agree.
In my opinion, I think questioning the announcement is OK so long as it's done in the most sensitive manner possible.

Yeah, on second thought, I agree with you - you're right. I just don't see that level of care and sensitivity being used by the majority of the people who are contesting the claim that this man has died.

Still, I certainly understand your point of view and where you're coming from.
I'm glad. :D
In addition, good luck with all that's going on in your life. I can't even imagine how hard all of this must be for you, and you've certainly kept a cooler head than I would have had I seen this thread under the same circumstances as you did. I'm glad your sister will live, and I hope everything gets better soon. :)

Much appreciated. :hug:

Very good point. :yes: I agree.

Yeah, on second thought, I agree with you - you're right. I just don't see that level of care and sensitivity being used by the majority of the people who are contesting the claim that this man has died.

I'm glad. :D

Much appreciated. :hug:

aww.

You two bring a tear to my youthful eye

I would have thought if he wanted to drop the pear PC project that he would either post a comment stating that 'real life' work commitments mean that he could no longer spend time on it. Or that would just leave it dead in the water and not post updates. Though I also don't think its impossible that it could be a hoax, when it comes down to it we only have some text on a screen to go by...

RIP Stefan.

Anyway, I've never seen so much cynicism in a single thread before, esp. Aldo. Going on about conspiracy theories and possible reasons to fake ones death. Hello, you've lost touch with reality dude. And getting killed by train is quite common.

To make this into an apple-conspiracy is too much really. There's no law against emulations CPU architectures. If OS X happens to run on the emulator, so what. And we're talking about a non-profit open source project, not some secret project to steal customers from Apple.

my 5 cents. some people are just too paranoid and cynical it seems.

that sucks big time, every1 deservers their time on this earth.

RIP

I think the project should end it would be the right thing as a sign of respect.

Today's Aachener Zeitung mentions some girl from Netherlands that died by hugging a tree with her car in some town around Aachen, yet still no train accident. It also mentions some local guy driving his bike downhill off the road, yet still no train accident. Strange, isn't it? If they have time for these unusual death causes, why not for a train accident?

Who says he was hit by the train in his home town? Maybe he was on his way to a far away city when this happened.

Surely there would be a mension in his home towns newspaper though...

And also being "quite" famous since he accomplished some achievement in the IT world it would be reported that he had passed away...

True...

Why do people assume it would be mentioned in his hometowns papers? It would only be mentioned if his family called/wrote to the paper to make a mention. I had 2 friends die in a car accident one state away and there was absolutely no mention in my/our newspaper. Only mention of it was in the newspaper of the town it happened in.

--edit: nm. Just interesting to see how people from far away seem to know better how the news work around here than me, who lives in this area since 24yrs and reads the newspapers from all around here.

Edited by Tom Servo

Here's how I see this:

If it is true he is dead and it was an accident:

Good. To be hit by a train he had to be a brainless drug addict, a brainless drunk or simply brainless. It's darwin 101, simple evolution, inferior specimens die, hopefully before they reproduce.

If it is true and it was a suicide:

Good. Anyone who's inferior enough to even CONSIDER suicide (except under excruciating hopeless pain, e.g. torture) deserves to die.

If he is alive:

Damn stupid prank or way to 'retire'.

Here's how I see this:

If it is true he is dead and it was an accident:

Good. To be hit by a train he had to be a brainless drug addict, a brainless drunk or simply brainless. It's darwin 101, simple evolution, inferior specimens die, hopefully before they reproduce.

If it is true and it was a suicide:

Good. Anyone who's inferior enough to even CONSIDER suicide (except under excruciating hopeless pain, e.g. torture) deserves to die.

If he is alive:

Damn stupid prank or way to 'retire'.

Well, if your car has broken brakes and you hit a train (to mention only one possible cause) you are a "brainless drug addict, a brainless drunk or simply brainless". :no: :no:

Bloody hell - Apple are not going to have been responsible for this. Perhaps there would be grounds to say so if he'd been shot, but hit by a train? Sheesh.

Well, if your car has broken brakes and you hit a train (to mention only one possible cause) you are a "brainless drug addict, a brainless drunk or simply brainless". :no: :no:

As far as I known car brakes don't malfunction out of the blue and without warning at least not in a decent car or in a properly maintained one (seriously how many of you really think that a professional killer was hired to kill this guy?).

Freaky accidents that the victim coulld'nt possibly prevent do happen but rarelly (like the people in the WTC, NY).

To be hit by a train he had to be a brainless drug addict, a brainless drunk or simply brainless. It's darwin 101, simple evolution, inferior specimens die, hopefully before they reproduce.

A lot of stupid young people on a night of drinking play chicken with an oncoming train.

Suffice to say, the train always wins.

Wow, that's a bitch - I honestly wonder how he got hit by a train. The other day the freakiest thing happened, my mates dad was late to work coz two ppl decided to jump in front of two different trains! He got out and he saw all the mess on the front of his train :x

You guys wont find it in local newspapers. Someone from #pearpc told me that he died while he was at a conference (somewhere else) like a developers conference or someth ing else, and that he had a shirt with his name and pearpc on it.

Its so sad though! Pearpc was awesome and I loved it!